Drum Tracking

Add an activity called 'Drumming' where the Fitbit still tracks HR and calories burned but does not count steps. Like the 'Driving' activity, just call it 'Drumming'. I have seen many people complain about this and it has a simple fix of just adding it.

Alternatively, you could allow individuals to create workouts themselves and choose for steps not to be counted!

81 Comments
RavMac
First Steps

I could use this too. 

CerpinTaxt
First Steps

Last moderator reply was nearly a year ago. Doesn’t seem Fitbit cares about this feature/thread regardless of how simple it seems to implement. I would love a drumming activity feature which doesn’t count steps as well. It sucks racking up thousands of false steps, but obviously, like everyone else I would like to track my heart rate and calories burned. Please let’s get this feature implemented or at least respond to the thread with more than a “hmm what does everyone think?” Everyone here thinks the feature would be very useful. 

shadygarden
Jogger

I agree.  The official response is frustrating.

Willamina
Jogger

A generic "No Steps" exercise setting would suffice. 

I'm a software developer, I don't think it could be that had to have a form of exercise where it does not record steps.

Kehnam
First Steps

Plus one to this. 

Has anyone tried using kickboxing, or weights As a way of tracking heart rate not steps?

shadygarden
Jogger
When I lift weights, my heart rate does not go up the way it does when I drum. I have to manually add the weight work as a workout. Sometimes fitbit picks up drumming as an aerobic activity or sport. I would guess that fitbit might detect kickboxing as an aerobic activity too.
notabbott
First Steps

Would love to see this. I've heard guitarists who wear their Fitbit on their strumming hand also have this problem. It seems like you could generalize to a "disable accelerometer" activity/exercise, even if you don't call it "drumming mode." But it would be awesome if you did.

Capncrockett
Jogger

+1 to drumming as an exercise. There's so many random exercises. Why not drumming?

ojahpcp
First Steps

Yes please. Drumming tracking would be great!

iainp999
Recovery Runner

+1, would be excellent

GoceR
Jogger

Drumming would be a great type of exercise to be included. It's light to medium cardio as far as the heart rate is concerned, and instead of counting steps it can count number of beats hit! What a great opportunity missed by fitbit this is! They can attract all drummers to their products, but instead they decide to ignore this feature request. Too bad.

bluerememberyou
First Steps

Yes, please! I'd love to be able to drum with the heart rate tracking, minus the "step" counting. 

Could an option be added to negate any steps in any workout through the app? Maybe a "steps" on/off switch in the details of a workout? Would be VERY useful!! 

This is still an issue! Please help us out, Fitbit 🙂 

Rtb97
First Steps

Fitbit, please add Drumming! 

RabidPickle
First Steps

Would just like to add my +1 for drumming as an activity. I probably drummed for 30 minutes today. My heart rate goes up of course, but I log a lot of steps doing that.  Knowing my steps are inaccurate feels...discouraging? Like why bother getting them up when they are so inaccurate?  

cián
First Steps

I got my Fitbit change 3 two days ago. Happy with all the features until yesterday when I was drumming for the first time and encountered this problem. Why is there still no response from Fitbit? After searching for a solution/workaround for this activity I encountered this forum and many like it and people are yearning for this feature for 3 years. I don't understand why there hasn't been any comment or reply on it from Fitbit after they initially engaged and encouraged the discussion about it. Moderator, please? 

+1 for implementing Drumming Activity 

acunandy
First Steps

+1. Would love a feature like this. 

turtletennis
First Steps

Tracking as weight-lifting seems to work. I tested by comparing results when placing on my right and left arm and I get a similar step count per minute of drumming, even though my high-hat arm moves 4x as much.

ADrummer
Jogger
I currently have to take my Fitbit off when I'm drumming or it adds 5000 or more steps to my day. Is there a way to make it recognise drumming as an activity as it is definitely exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ADrummer, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Drum Tracking on Fitbit. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

MikeDooz
Jogger
Yeah, this is the first word from admin showing they are at least thinking
about the idea, now!!

Hopefully we will see it soon, that way I can stop taking my Fitbit off
Everytime I drum.
shadygarden
Jogger
Yes, we've been complaining about this for years.
mykeaz
Recovery Runner

Please develop a drumming mode. Thank you

KenuFHR
First Steps

+1 for drumming. Definitely an exercise. 🙂 

JALNIN
First Steps

+1 for Drumming please.  I have an electric kit in the basement with headphones.  It's the bulk of my exercise routine.  Someone who works at Fitbit must be a drummer, just work with them on the dev.  It won't take much.  Thanks

devinmb2007
First Steps

This is a NO BRAINER!!! How is driving an "activity" but drumming isn't?

Fitbit get your act together! Why have a community suggestion area if you aren't going to listen to the people who actually use your product??

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.