Dynamic retrieval and display of all daily nutrition values

Here is an opportunity for Fitbit project managers and developers to provide a greatly needed service to their device users, many of which would appreciate Fitbit’s assistance in managing their health.

Many of the users of Fitbit devices have real health issues and have to monitor different elements of their nutritional intake throughout the day. Other users have also voiced their desire to have a dynamically viewable recap of just where they stand at any point in the day.

Individuals with heart issues quite often need to be aware of their sodium intake or risk heart failure. And if truth be told, everyone else should be a little more aware of their sodium intake, as well.

Diabetics and pre-Diabetics need to keep abreast of their sugar intake throughout the day, not just at the day end. And for anyone wanting to lose a little, or even a lot, of weight should be watching their sugar intake, because what sugar cannot be used by muscles gets stored as fat.

Many people are literally afraid to eat out with friends or family sometimes because they are not positive about their current daily intake of a particular nutrient. Many spur-of-the-moment social opportunities are lost because they don’t know their current sodium or sugar totals for the day.

Why not, from the food log page of the Fitbit app have the Macronutrients icon be a touchable hotspot that would display this:

Daily Totals.png

The data in the graphic represents my actual intake on 1/19/2018 with the exception of vitamin and other base elements, but all of the information is available for quick retrieval from the Fitbit servers. And to quote Fitbit, “Your data belongs to you!”

I personally would be quite happy if that is all that was done, and as a first release it would be great. But it would be totally feasible to incorporate other requests for allowing the entry of target values for many of the nutrients shown in the label above. Values such as Calories, Carbs, Protein and Sodium. A new column next to “% Daily Value” called “Your Target” or just “Target” could be added.

Thank you Fitbit for having the Custom Foods creation capability that allowed be to create a food that actually represents my booked food totals for 1/19/2018.

Moderator Edit : Labels

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
236 Comments
the2ems
Runner

@MrMarv 

now I know 👍🏻

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Hi forum members

Unfortunately the nutrition infos are still limited. I tried to add Omega 3 complex with three different not saturared fats. But that is not possible. Therefore I will continue to use the app "FDDB" without limits in their entries and with a lot more features than Fitbit offers. It's a real pity that one still needs an additional app for nutrition logging!
the2ems
Runner

Hello @MrMarv , Have you ever noticed any discrepancies when scanning bar codes to add custom food items? I have just had quite a puzzling experience. The item has a total pack weight of 100g, and the nutritional information is per 100g. The saturated fat on the pack is shown as 0.4g, but when I scan the bar code it shows as 0.8g. When I then record that I have had 50g, half the pack, then check the macronutrients on the app, it records saturated fat as 0.0g. I’m a bit confused, to say the least.

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Fitbit app. You can now see the Nutrition Facts table after logging a meal in the Fitbit app. You can find more details about how to track your food in this help article.

@MrMarv, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

the2ems
Runner

Three cheers for @MrMarv  Hip hip hooray. Really helpful feature 👍🏻

M__
Stepping Up
It would be great to be able to see added sugars broken out of the sugar total like it is on the current food labels.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @M__, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see sugar on nutritional values in the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". I hope to see you around.

JMPalmer
First Steps
it would be great if the food tracking also tracked fiber and sodium.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JMPalmer, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about tracking fiver and sodium. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can also check this blog: What You Need to Know About Tracking Your Eating Habits Beyond Macros.

I hope to see you around.

L0tus
Recovery Runner
I’m starting food log so all health data is in one place. Tried it years before, dismissed as not helpful. Still is. Manually creating custom entries is only solution. Numerous comments all say the same thing-show all nutrients and display better and improve logging but Fitbit hasn’t addressed. NUTRITION NEEDS WORK! I’m available to fix it $50/hr!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @L0tus, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about showing all daily nutrition values when logging food. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.