E Ink Display in Future Products

We really need E Ink displays. There are many indirect requests for this, but the conclusion is clear: we need an E Ink display in future Fitbit products.

Many users requested for:

• Always-on display.
  • Readability under sunlight.
  • Longer battery life.
  • E paper.

There is also a huge market void that is left after acquisition of Pebble. There is a signifiant shortage of E Ink displays, and having Fitbit produce one, it will be a smart business strategy.

Personally, I will not buy the Ionic, and disappointed by Fitbit under many cases. But if Fitbit makes an E Ink, I will surely buy it.

9 Comments
esjay
Stepping Up

Fitbit has some nice products, but the Pebble Time 2 was nearly perfect. Now that Fitbit owns Pebble, I am hoping to see Fitbit embrace the best parts of Pebble. I am looking for a device with heart rate, always on display, open SDK, notifications, smart alarms, and long battery life. The Time 2 fit that precisely. I hope to see a Fitbit Time 2 or Blaze with color e-paper display in the near future! Looking through the other suggestions, I see MANY requests for always on displays, so I believe the entire Fitbit product line would benefit from a switch to e-paper (also sometimes referred to as epaper, e-ink, or eink).

esjay
Stepping Up

@Rich_Laue , @Bored , @sieversii , @OneEyeGringoJoe , @Cthulhu1138 , @SimplyAdventure and @honglong1976 might also be interested in this suggestion as they have mentioned e-ink/e-paper in other threads.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Sorry @esjay the tracker mentioned have all ready been developed.. This suggestion would only be good for a future product. 

My question yes rApper need no current once the display is drawn but it has a slow response rate will it be fast enough. 

mmaakh
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue, I think @esjay meant to suggest ideas for future products. E.g. something like a surge but with an e-ink display.

I don't think anyone would mind if fitbit would change the looks + choose a totally different name and sell them as new lines of products.

Personally I prefer the new looks of recent fitbit watches, such as the Ionic. But sadly they lack e-ink displays.

Though must say fitbit is known for minor feature bumps. E.g. Charge HR is essentially Charge but with heartbeat rate sensor.

I would immediately buy an Ionic e-ink edition. But of course fitbit is free to make a totally new look + product line + name, and I am cool with that too. I just want an e-ink health tracker.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yup 

Pebble Time 2, hardware and software, I will be waiting. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I really like pebble software, that it sync with Google Calendar and I can check it on pebble time line along with sun rise sun set, weather and temperature.

I like the animations in pebble UI is sweet. 

I would love to have not only e-paper but also support for old pebble watchfaces and refreshed watchfaces, they had it ready, just manufacture it guys. Also pebble app Is great because it's easy, I like the screen with activity on pebble app, it just look good and minimalistic and easy to use

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

techfan42
Jogger

Currently, I cannot see the time or step counter in bright daylight.  Please provide an e-ink display on next Charge.  Ideally, allow me to invert the display (white font on black background or vice versa).  Include slight backlight for night.  Other wishlist items: slightly thinner body (same display size).  I do not want a smartwatch (they're bulky, uncomfortable, and ugly).  I simply .want a normal looking watch with some fitness tracking.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.