Early Warning & SOS Alerts for Heart Attacks (or other health issues)

HeartAttack.png

Research indicates (refer to links below) that it is possible to detect potential Heart Attack based on Heart Rate and Heart Rate zones. Fitbit watches constantly monitor heart rate and theoretically it should be possible to detect potential heart attack based on abnormal heart rate and resting heart rate's trend.

1. Emergency SOS: Fitbit device should trigger alert on paired mobile phone which sends out a SOS message along with geo-location to pre-configured address to ensure timely medical assistance.
  2. Preventive Alert: Fitbit should alert the user if it sense potential Heart Attack based on current & resting heart rate patterns or change to a different heart rate zone.

Reference:

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

157 Comments
CoD
Base Runner
That doesn't mean we can't use the data they already collect >.<
Drakuun
Recovery Runner

As CoD says, this is already semi-possible.

The data is there you just need to interpret it correctly.

A third party api could do this right now, FitBit will not as I earlier said.

Totoro_linyt
First Steps
Allow us to keep track of our heart rate using the fitbit wrist gadget and sync to the mobile app, and allow us to connect with our family members

In the case of an emergency should anyone's heart rate hit the abnormal range, the family members will be notified through the mobile app and this allows for more assistance and immediate help to be catered to the person.
(Inspired by cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest)
Bubuloo
First Steps

It would be good to link your fit bit up with your 'I.C.E fitbit friend' ( In Case of Emergency) and if your heart rate drops very very low it triggers a notification to your fitbit friends phone / fitbit to let them know just so they can make sure everything is ok. However not sure how this would work when the watch it not on someones wrist. Maybe there is a way around that.
If you could select what information you want to share with your fitbit I.C.E friend to that would be good, ie not everyone would want to share their weight, how much exercise they have done etc.

CaptainInsano
First Steps

So the idea for heart rate alarms/notifications has been suggested in several different ways (i.e. entering or exiting target zones, exceeding max HR based on user age and activity, etc.) on this message board many times for the pas couple years now. We still haven't gotten an update (but hey, we got a new dashboard! Woo!), but while they're still taking suggestions on the subject I thought I'd add another...

Heart beat rythm of course changes all the time throughout the day (it even changes while you breathe in and out) but perhaps the fitbit can send a push notification and/or vibrate and display "heart symbol" -> "rythm" if the rythm becomes too irregular for too long. This would be good to know for people who have heart problems of any kind and might be prone to palpitations; or if the wearer is concerned about abnormal heart rythm for other reasons.

Also it could be potentially lifesaving if a feature is added (that the user can setup or not) where if the heart rate exceeds or drops below certain predetermined thresholds for too long, and/or the rythm becomes too erratic for too long, then a push notification is sent to the phone about contacting emergency services.If not acknowledged/cancelled then the call is made. The call can also be cancelled from the fitbit.

For example: My grandfather is out walking for expercise with his new Fitbit Charge HR. His heartrate exceeds his max setting for more than 3 minutes and sends a push notification to his phone and his fitbit vibrates and displays [heart symbol] followed by "his heart rate" followed by "max," and it alternates between his displayed heart rate and the word "max" until he cancels it by tapping the fitbit (after all, he left his phone at home). He's not concerned, he's tough.

A few minutes later he suffers a heart attack. The fitbit suspects this due to the irregularities in his heart beat rythm accompanied by a drop or rise in heart rate, depending on what kind of heart attack he's having. The fitbit then rapidly flashes betweem the heart symbol and "911" (or whatever your country's emergency number is), along with sending a push notification to his phone. Now if he had his phone he could hit cancel or call immediately, but since he's left his phone at home he simply needs to press and hold the touch pad on the fitbit to cancel the call. If he doesn't do anything  (or is unable to do anything) the call will be made and the app will let emergency services know his whereabouts with his fitbit's GPS, as well as his current heart rate and rhytm.

Of course if my grandfather simply comes home after his walk and takes his fitbit charge HR off to take a shower  (we need waterproofing too!) then there's a chance the fitbit could become confused and think his heart has suddenly stopped. If he forgot to disable emergency contact mode he might come out of the shower to paramedics knocking on the door. So some kind of quick way to turn this feature on or off from the fitbit, or some kind of algorithm to identify when it's simply not being worn is required. 

I just figured if we're goint to be utilizing heart rate monitors, pedometers, etc. and push notifications for badges for all sorts of verious goals, then perhaps we use this functionality of the device in a practical application for safety. 

GoalCrusher
Base Runner

For adults it is extremely useful for your Fitbit to call an ambulance if your heart rate stops or if you are close to having a heart attack. This means that in the case that you have a heart attack, your Fitbit sends a message to your device via Bluetooth and that calls an ambulance saving time and probably your life. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a really interesting idea, but Fitbit trackers are not intended to provide medical or scientific data.

GoalCrusher
Base Runner

Yes but fitbits should be able to track anomalies in heart rates and therefore being able to tell if a heart attack has occurred. Then send a call to an ambulance!

Cbailey143
First Steps

Hi. I had an idea for you. The fitbit has pulse. What if you teamed up with the American Heart Association and the fitbit could let people know if they are having heart attacks. It would be great prevention.

Wolfy117
First Steps

I have a heart problem where my pulse will sometimes raise to dangerous heights, which could potentially lead to serious injuries or death. I have searched high and low for a pulse watch that can sound off an alarm when your pulse reaches that dangerous level. Now I know you say the fit bit isn't designed for this, but even if it isn't a medical issue, people who work out too hard might need a reminder to slow down as well.
I mean if diabetics can get watches with blood sugar warnings then it shouldn't be too hard to have an alarm setting where you can input the heart rate that is dangerous or you want the watch to warn about.
I mean we aren't asking you to make a feature where the watch warns us, calls an ambulance and then feeds us the right medication, we just want a warning without having to religiously look at and monitor our heart rates manually, that's all!

GuitarCraig
First Steps

Heart  I am 61, using Blaze more older users are getting Fitbit.  How about an "emergency  alarm" if a heart attack occurs.  A small siren/sound when the heart stops to alert people around that there is a problem.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The omly problrm i see here is that the Fitbit Tracker doesn't have any type of noise maker.

TomSpeight
Jogger

Does anyone know if this has this been implemented on the ionic?  I have a Garmin 235 that does have this feature and have commented on the fitbit forums in the past that this is essential for me

MikeP777
Jogger

I am getting a consistently high (excellent) cardio fitness score in the Heart Rate section of the FitBit app. But the truth is that I am on medication to reduce my heart rate (beta blockers) having had quadruple coronary artery graft surgery to treat atherosclerosis. So really this is a potentially false indicator for me and people like me. Perhaps there should be a "health warning" that the score may be artificially low if you are taking medicines to reduce your heart rate. On the other hand it may mean that my surgery and medication is working fine but I do feel a warning is needed so heart patients don't become complacent so we're encouraged to keep fit but also take care heart-rate-wise.

Moderator Edit: All-caps

OldGrandad
Recovery Runner

Well written

Just this morning on my daily hike, pulse rate went to 172 3 times, now this maybe a misread.

However at my age maximum should be 148.

It would be sensational to just get a vibration alert.

The thing has all of this built in, should be just a programming issue. 

TomSpeight
Jogger

this seems to be a popular item and for me deal maker/breaker.  Does anyone know if this has been implemented in the IONIC?

gtoto1961
Jogger

I just watched the video on the new I watch and what  they are adding I have been want in Fitbit to add. I have graves disease and with it comes high heart rate without exercise. Example: mine at bed time was 111bpm. Also I can get irregular heart beats as well. Check out the video for what they are adding on the heart rate I would like to see that on Fitbit.  I don't want to be tied to a iPhone just for a watch, and I like my Fitbit. Here is a link to video of the feature I was talking about have t get past a few other new items but this  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@gtoto1961 would you be kind enough to edit your question with a link to the Video your refferring to? This would be very helpful in knowing the subject. It seems to be more than just heartrate which is currently  tracked by 6 models of fitbits.

DJL2020
First Steps

I could use an alarm for my Bradicardia. I have low heart rate and it would be nice at night to know if i go below 40 BPM.

Jeff

Grobwuein
First Steps

Thats wat we have to get on the fitbit!

Ammars27
Recovery Runner

Why can we not have this?

@Desh wrote:

Research indicates (refer to links below) that it is possible to detect potential Heart Attack based on Heart Rate. Both Fitbit Surge & Charge HR constantly monitor heart rate and theoretically it should be possible to detect potential heart attack based on abnormal heart rate and resting heart rate's trend.

1. Emergency SOS: Fitbit device should trigger alert on paired mobile phone which sends out a SOS message along with geo-location to pre-configured address to ensure timely medical assistance.
  2. Preventive Alert: Fitbit should alert the user if it sense potential Heart Attack based on current & resting heart rate patterns.

Reference:

Moderator Edit: Labels

LordyLordy
First Steps

Having a smartwatch is nice but not when it doesn't cover all possibilities! Out of all the Fitbits, they don't cover one area close to my heart, literally, dying alone. The man who invented jogging, died jogging, James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.
On a solitary jog, so he died alone but what if paramedics got to him first, could he have survived?

A smartwatch which has pulse monitors and location monitors must be able to sense battery level and pulse and know whether it is low battery or slow pulse. If a pulse drops below 20bpm, an alert to the user to check battery and pulse then hit a button to send a message they are ok but if they don't respond then the watch could send out an alert for attendance to their location.
My worry is that I go to bed feeling fine and die in my sleep because if that happened they would have to remove me and the bed as we would be one by the time someone thought about looking for me. 

I would rather go to bed with a smartwatch on and know that someone would find me before I started to melt.
Introducing a slow pulse alarm should be quite easy for a professional to do, link it to a fee call service and we may die while out on our own or we will have a paramedic helping us before we can die but in any case, someone will know we are in distress.

jacusa
First Steps

Hi,

Why isn't it possible to keep the heart rate on home screen? I should be able to customize on permanent screen. The heart rate monitoring was the motivation in buying the Surge. Disappointed. Are you working on implementing this modification? Thanks. Cat

swiftycarson
First Steps

Unfortunately, on August 30th, 2017, my world forever changed. My father passed away unexpectedly from a heartattack. Due to the wearing of his fitbit religiously, we were able to log on and pinpoint his exact time of death and the moments leading up to the stopping of his heart.

Unrelated, my son wears an Owlet Monitor, in which monitors his heartrate and oxygen levels during the night. If either level jumps out of range, a notification alerts my phone as well as my husbands, enabling us to assess him, and promptly call 911 if necessary.

In my opinion, if the Owlet Monitor is capable of performing tasks as such, it would be beneficial for fitbit to do the same! If they are able to monitor heartrates, why not add on the feature of possibly notifying an emergency contact, or even sending a notice to the person's phone and if they are unable to say "yes I am ok" or "no I am not," EMS can be automatically called. Since my father was out of town on business, alone in a hotel room, no one was able to assess him or see if any distress was occurring. If fitbit had this feature, even if that means an extra cost per month for monitoring, lives could be saved, and heartaches could be prevented as what myself and my family have experienced in the past 5 weeks.

AmandaBrewer
First Steps

This is a brilliant idea! If fitbit added this feature so many lives could be saved. I would 100% be willing to pay extra $ for a feature like this! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.