Edit Time of Daily Reset of Stats / Add Nightshift

Hi, It would be great if users could change the daily reset of stats to a different hour. We night owls who go sleep late after midnight now have to calculate the differences in our heads and that's not ideal. Thanks!

Moderator edit: labels and title for clarity

885 Comments
Jenkzilla
Jogger
Fitbit needs to be more flexible for shift workers. I get up at 8 pm start work at 10pm then at 12am my fitbit resets back to zero. But I still have 14 to 16 hours left in my day. If I could chang tye end of day time I could fix this and track every thing more closely.
Md3td
First Steps
Just need a night shift reset option. Vampires want to track "day" also! "NightBit".
fittime
First Steps

There has been a lot of discussion about being able to change the reset time on the fitbit.  Why don't the fitbit people respond to these multitude of requests.  It's really annoying that I can't change the reset time from 12 midnight.  I think I will try to return my fitbit and get one that will allow this.  For me this is a real deal breaker!

Jadedog57
First Steps

Another option, but not as convenient, would be when using the graph of the app (i use iOS) when you slide so you can see the end of one day and the beginning of the next have it list the data count for what is currently on the screen not just the day taking up the most room on the screen.

tishajustce
Jogger

I posted this on FB and was told to put it on here.

Suggestion for next model. Choice for people to choose their 24 hour not just from 12am-12pm. I work nights so my day goes into 2 different days and my Fitibit resets halfway through the day. So on settings have where you can enter like for me my day would be 3pm-3am. I am a police officer and it resets halfway through my shift. 

ummmichaela
Jogger

YES PLEASE! I work 4pm-4am on my feet and would love for those steps to count within the same day. An option to choose when your day specifically starts and ends would be great help, especially if it could be changed throughout the week depending on schedule. Perhaps just a personal log in at the start and log out at the end before bed??

michaelbarlow
First Steps

I think being able to choose when your day ends is a need. All the suggested fixes I have seen so far are "change your timezone", I do not believe this is a sufficient answer for night shift workers. Not only should we be able to see the actual time of day for where we live, many night shifters also live slightly different schedules on their days off vs. days on. Changing when the day begins/ends would enhance customizability and accuracy and would certainly make the fitbit a step above many competitors. Certainly there are more day shift workers than night shift workers, but there are still plenty of night shift workers for this feature to be exciting and worthwhile for millions of people.

barry1313
First Steps

Please almighty program enhance meant guru's, consider giving us an elegant way to have our fitbits reset when it's the end of our day to accommodate shift workers.

It doesn't matter when my work starts or finishes but my day ends after midnight and it would be a much more enjoyable experience if my fitbit could reset my steps after I go to bed. Or a manual way of telling it this is the end of my day and reset my step counter now. PLEASE!

huntingirl86
First Steps

Yes adding a start time and end of day time would be awesome! My husband and I both have night shift schedules. We wake up 2pm and asleep by 6am. The fitbit resets at midnight and I still have 6 hours of walking left to do. Having to add up my steps manually is a pain and it shows that I didn't do anything because I was sleeping for 8 hours. Being able to adjust the start time would be amazing. Other than that I definitely love my fitbit!!! 

Silleigh
First Steps

Just another night owl adding to the chorus. It does seem bizarre that we can change the start of the week but not the start of the day. And it needs to be a choice by hour -- not just allowing a flip that would make people choose between ending their day at either midnight or noon. My natural sleep period is roughly 3-10AM, so I'd probably set my day to end at 3 or 4AM. Please fix this. That would be enough to make me upgrade my One.

bholley02
First Steps
It would be nice if you had and option for the device not to reset at midnight. It would be easier for all of those who work midnight shift to track everything if it did not automatically reset itself.
bluheart72
Jogger

I am a night nurse as well and would like to be able to manually set the start of day time. (i.e. 6a-6a)

I sync my food from myfitnesspal and log all of my food according to the 6a-6a day. I would like my steps and exercise from fitbit to do the same. I walk all night long and my steps should go with the previous day, not split into two days. 

busik
Jogger

how do i know what time does my fitbit starts a new counting of the day?

siriusdelight
First Steps

Yes, please! I rush to get in 10k steps between 11p-12a and find I feel dashed hopes when I miss the arbitrary-to-my-life midnight curfew!

Nightguard
Stepping Up
Hi,

When I forget to use the sleep function and have to add it later, the sleep log clock always starts at 11pm. Same thing when it tells me how much sleep I have gotten, it always calculates the amount starting from that time. So I would assume that 11pm is when Fitbit considers the start of day.

Nightguard

Sent from my iPad
cdecormier
Jogger

How do I log my food? I work nights and I wish my chargehr would return to zero in the middle of the day. You need options on what time you want the fitbit to zero out.

Mchl496
Recovery Runner

Some of us work evening shifts or midnight shifts, it would be nice if we could customize our days.  I don't want my day to reset at midnight my time.  I want my day to reset on a adjusted schedule.  So when i get up at 5pm, it would be nice if i could set it so it thinks it's like 5am and i still have19 hours before the reset.

annschmech
Base Runner

That would be great for traveling to different time zones too!  I went to Fiji last summer and it really messed with my stats. (I know, booo hoo for me)  Pretty much had to ditch 2 weeks worth of data.  I was surprised that it didn't automatically adjust with my phone time and just update accordingly. 

Bbedd
First Steps
Totally agreed! I work nights in the ER, where I barely have time to eat, let alone try to adjust times and fix everything. Just because the majority of people in the world work during the day and sleep during the night doesn't mean that the ones who stay up late should get the short end of the stick. We paid the same amount and the product should be made to work just as well for people on every type of schedule - not just the one Fitbit decides. Thank you!
Bbedd
First Steps
Totally agreed! I work nights in the ER, where I barely have time to eat, let alone try to adjust times and fix everything. Just because the majority of people in the world work during the day and sleep during the night doesn't mean that the ones who don't fall into t category should get the short end of the stick. We paid the same amount and the product should be made to work just as well for people on every type of schedule - not just the one Fitbit decides.
Bbedd
First Steps
Totally agreed! I'm also an ER nurse at night (7p-7a), where I barely have time to eat, let alone try to adjust times and fix everything. Just because the majority of people in the world work during the day and sleep during the night doesn't mean that the ones who don't fall into that category should get the short end of the stick. We paid the same amount and the product should be made to work just as well for people on every type of schedule - not just the one Fitbit decides. Please fix this!
cdecormier
Jogger
I use my fitness pal with my fit bit. I just send my food diary in at 00:00. And start my diary over. I am an Er nurse and eat when I can.

Sent from my iPhone
Jess2011
Jogger

During your next system update it would be great if you added a customizable reset time for devices. I work overnights and the fact that my device resets part way into my day can become very confusing and frusturating. I spoke to two of my coworkers who also work the midnight shift about their Fitbits before I bought the device and they both voiced that same concern. I think I speak for all nocturnal users when I say that adding a feauture like this would be widely appreciated!

fairhero
First Steps

I, too, work nights and would be interested in having my day start end at 3 a.m. instead of midnight!

Aeroslin
First Steps

Adding my name to the list for this feature request.  I work from 6pm to 4:30am and go to bed by 9am.  It would certainly be nice to look at the data relative to my lifestyle instead of being forced to view it from the day shifter's lifestyle.

I've been working these hours long enough to know that there's a significant amount of ignorance towards those that live the night shift lifestyle.  Please don't cut us out of this.  I've seen other apps handle this type of change without any issue.

Changing time-zone doesn't work either since my day starts at -12 hours, not +12 hours.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.