Enable Sleep data from fitbit Device API

It would be great if developers could access the sleep data without using the Sleep API (which requires internet connection and a reliable connection to the companion app). Device has the sleep data we need to parse and display in awesome ways in our apps!

13 Comments
speedy-software
Stepping Up

i would like to have this feature too

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community member think.

TechnoBuddhist
Recovery Runner

It's got to be realtime for me. No point knowing the sleep phase I was in, I need to know the sleep phase I'm currently in!

paperinik
Tempo Runner

There's multiple reasons to do this:

1. smart alarms (4K votes somewhere else)

2. ability to turn on/off features based upon sleep. I had a Pebble watchface that would vibrate every hour at the hour unless I was asleep and it was working great.

spaceykitty
First Steps

Yes! Please provide a way to get current sleep state from the device API! This would open up all kinds of cool functionality.

1. Lucid dream apps

2. Smart alarm apps to help soothe you to sleep with voice prompts then gently wake you the same way at the best moment

3. Live interaction with other sleep related devices, like smart lights or coffee makers to also be part of the waking process

Please!

Thanks,

Emma

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1

Realtime sleep stage information will enable a host of exciting new apps. Guessing sleep stages from the mere sensors that are available is hard enough. No need to re-invent the wheel with every new app!

Thor320
First Steps

Please enable us to use the wake up alarm while in REM state, it will open a new world to human conciousness. Thank you.

TheSeeker
First Steps

I'm also interested in this so I can track REM states in real-time and trigger lucid dreams.

boooney
First Steps

I really want to see a smart alarm.  I just upgraded from a pebble time to versa and am bummed that it's not available.  I am a casual JS developer and thinking about building an app myself but ran into this snag...

AndrasF
First Steps

+1

Since Fitbit seems to ignore this feature request, I wonder if it would be possible to decompile the Fitbit app and add an extra API call to expose the real-time sleep data. It wouldn't be ideal of course, because we would need to sideload the modified Fitbit Android app to our phones, but still, it would enable us to make exciting sleep-related experiments.

I have some experience with decompilation so if others are interested in working together on this, please let me know.

I don't have a Fitbit device at the moment, because the absence of this feature is a deal breaker for me, but I would consider buying one, if I see a chance that we can make this work.

dhunganasaroj
Jogger

I think Fitbit developer are using ostrich algorithm to solve this issue. 

mikemikemike1
Jogger

+1 to this!

LM02
First Steps

How has this not been added yet? +1!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.