Every new feature should be pushed to every fitbit device possible

Hey guys,

I don't understand why you don't push every new feature to every fitbit device possible (even the old ones)

For example:

Reminders to Move

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Idle-Alert/idi-p/811

Auto Sleep Tracking

Cardio Fitness Level

SmartTrack

Multi-Sport Modes

Moderator Edit: Corrected Labels

7 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Believe no company does that as it's lots of resources (while otherwise could be focusing on developing newer models).. and there'd be no incentive to upgrade to the latest tracker (that's my personal opinion).. so the newer models won't be purchased..

Though sometimes Fitbit gives previous tracker models a feature from a newer model like the Flex received the ability to automatically track sleep a while ago.

RubenB
Recovery Runner

as it's lots of resources (while otherwise could be focusing on developing newer models)

That's not true at all.

Once you created new function in a software it's very esy to implement it to every other model, you just have to copy-paste the code 😛

"so the newer models won't be purchased.."

Not necessarily because:

1. The fitbit trackers have great gap in prices

2. The new trackers will always be more precises than old ones

3. The wear & tear of the battery (which is not replacable)

4. Had I bought the Blaze I would be so mad not to have the Cardio Fitness Level feature

it's by far the more expensive model of Fitbit, ergo it should have every functionnality that Fitbit creates.

5. Personally, I feel lost with Fitbit's decisions about hardware & software updates (and I'm not the only one).

I really wanted to update to a charge 2 but now, I don't want to buy it so a few weeks later they will come up with a great new feature and not update the charge 2.

I think Fitbit should have regular update dates like Apple:

June -> New software

September -> New Hardware

Instead of announcing their products out of the blue, it's so disturbing and not fair to users.

With Apple, there is no surprise, a new model every year.

Fitbit should adopt a regular update basis and adapt it to its products.

Personnally I don't think Fitbit should still sell any tracker without Auto Sleep Tracking...

Anyway, I love their products but more transparency would very much help their sales and help they consumers to understand the brand.

Stucki
First Steps
Totally agree with Ruben. I understand that technology moves quickly and that you sometimes get surprised by new versions of stuff you just bought, but when there are features where there is no thechnological hurdle at all to implement them on older devices, I just get the impression that the company wants to fool me if it doesn't so.

The "Cardio Fitness Score" seems to be a good example. Since it seems to be calculated only in the app and only with data that devices like the Blaze or Charge HR could also provide, the process of bringing it to them is probably not any more sophisticed than replacing a 0 with a 1 somewhere in the code.

Just compare this strategy of Fitbit with what Apple does with most of its devices, where features are added regularly and for a number of years. Granted, an Apple Watch is much more expensive than a Charge 2, but it is also able to do much more.
goobz5000
Jogger

Agreed... need Cardio Fitness Score and Reminders to Move on Surge.

cathym2
Recovery Runner

Need to add stairs to the new Alta HR.  The big size of the charge 2 is pretty clunky & this would be a much nicer model if they would just add the stairs.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Some trackers don't have built in GPS while other models dont have two way comunication with the phone, they can't use the phones GPS.

Some trackers only have a tap interface, making it hard to add a stopwatch, countdown timer, and the multsport mode.

Two models only have readouts composed of lights. Lets see how multiple clock faces will be added to these.

Some models simply don't have enough memory to add another function.

Does this help a little with understanding.the problem?

Status changed to: Not currently planned
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.