Find my Fitbit "Lost" message

Fibits with text scrolling capability should have a "Lost" function, that allows a message to be displayed, for example, a contact number or email for return. The message would show up whenever the Fitbit is turned/ activated as usual, including after a recharge (in the case of someone finding it and hoping to keep it). 

If we can customize the display already, why not add a "lost message" display option??

One step further (but requiring a registration and deregristration of the Fitbit to the account) could "lock" the Fitbit to the account, and in the case of loss, permanently keep the message on the Fitbit, and also disallow registration to a new account - rendering the Fitbit unusable unless the owner chooses to deregister. See Apple's "Find my iPhone" and Device Management functionality (if you lose your phone or other registered device, you can login online, and set the device to lock down and display a message and/or sound, wipe the data, etc). I don't know if I am 100% behind this second "permanent message" option as not all users are interested in this level of having to register and deregister, but an idea.

The "lost" message functionality alone would have been INCREDIBLY useful in the case of our kid's recent loss of a Fitbit Ace. If a message with a phone number or email could have been displayed, so long as the person who found it had good intentions, it could easily have come back to us. Gone forever now (and with the relative cost of the Fitbit, in the case of a child who loses things, we won't be purchasing another anytime soon). Lesson learned.

5 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @DorahTEWoman Happy

Nazwreck
First Steps

I have suggested something like this as well. Cell phones started adding features like this to prevent theft and to aid in recovering devices. The latest and greatest Fitbit devices are getting really pricey now, so it's time to include these protections for the customer. 

In addition to a lost message I was thinking of a way to get the device back without it costing the finder or Fitbit anything. A nominal fee charged to the owner of the lost device to cover shipping and handling would be a valuable and appreciated service. It would allow finders to get a pre-paid shipping envelope from Fitbit and Fitbit could ship the device to the owner. This protects the owner's privacy and allows for return of ever more expensive devices. 

Rhyinosnana
Jogger

My 7 yr old grandson's tracker came off its wristband, he only had it 2 weeks and now another kid at school is using it. On the Ace Fitbit I feel the tracker should be harder to come off from the wristband. Kids are used to playing with legos, transformers and this should not be removable by kids. It is harder to find the tracker but if it is on the band it is a lot easier to find and harder to lose.

When the tracker came off the wristband and got lost, someone found it and contacted Fitbit to put it under their email address/account Fitbit which enabled the finder to use it. I had reported it lost so I don't know why they would set up a new account for them. I see when someone changes their password Fitbit lets you know. Why don't they let you know when they change email address/account. I only knew cause of no activity for 5 days then a lot of activity by someone and it was confirmed it was under a new account but Fitbit could not give me that new email address. Maybe you cannot change email/account unless you have the serial code from box.  I know the company is not there to police this stuff but it seems like they were helping the wrong person by changing email/account for them. I felt violated that some kid at his school would take it home instead of giving it to lost in found or the teacher. These kids are 7 and 8 and a lot of them have Fitbits so they know they are expensive and shouldn't just keep it . If things like this happen more and more some Schools might prohibit kids from wearing expensive Fitbits to school and then a lot less Fitbit Aces will be sold. 

Since Fitbit Ace is advertised for kids maybe Fitbit could look into ways to protect the kids tracker from coming off the band. When someone calls to say it was lost do not then enable the finder to set up new email/account........ make it more difficult for the finder to use and operate.

I know kids should be responsible ...I just want Fitbit to understand kids will be kids and to try to help them protect their Fitbit. The goal is to have happy kids with Fitbits not unhappy kids who are without their beloved Fitbit.

Thanks

Editado por moderador: información personal.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Rhyinosnana! Great suggestion, I've moved it into a similar request, it's not exactly the same but you might like to have this option on the Ace too.

Max49
First Steps

Yup - I think these ideas are sound. My Charge5 got lost (- wristband came undone), and I can see someone else is using it as their IP address is logged under my account. I like the idea of both the “lost” message / measures, and also the deregistration / registration requirements. Anything that makes these less desirable to thieves. Having had Fitbit watches for the last 4/5 years, I won’t be buying Fitbit again as the wristbands are too unreliable. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.