FitBit for Adventure Travel/Mountaineering/Thru-hikers

Hi Everyone,

I recently climbed Kilimanjaro wearing my Blaze. This got me to thinking about some of the features that would be ideal for people on longer adventures and climbs at altitude.

1) On long journeys, you lose your detailed data! It would be fantastic to be able to sync data to a local device over Bluetooth without needing an internet connection. This data could then be uploaded to the dashboard later once an internet connection was established. At the moment for adventures longer than a week, detailed data is gone. If you're on the tip of a lifetime this is probably the most interesting data you'll collect in a long while, but Yu never get to see it. Also, it would be brilliant to be able to change the clock and sync the device without internet, because I spent most of this trip trying to remember how many hours I had to subtract from my fitbit time to get the real time.

2) At altitude, oxygen saturation is an important stat to monitor for health and performance. We used small finger meters on Kili - could this tech easily be built in to the band? I think it views the colour of the oxygenated blood and works out the O2 content that way.

3) an altimeter and temperature sensor would be phenomenal in this package. It would allow mountaineers to ensure that they 'hike high, camp low', which is necessary for safe altitude acclimatisation. Temperature monitoring would not only be interesting, but also useful for mountain safety.

4) Trekking poles are commonly used by adventure hikers, but the step counter can't cope with them. I was typically logging one third to half the steps of my climbing companion who was not using poles. Is there not some way to adapt the algorithm or apply a correction to it to account for this effect? Surely if you took 100 test subjects and monitored how they walk 100 metres with or without poles, you could add a percentage correction factor on to the step total for a person hiking with poles.

I think an adventurers' band would be fantastic, and I'd be willing to pay more for one.

Any other adventurers out there like to see this happen?

2 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Jeffsxm
First Steps

The Step counter could be improved by adding a correction factor in setup both calculating it up or down this is a very simple fix for all the errors as I have noticed that the error seems fairly consistent For me at about 20% to high 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.