Fitbit to use 5 GHz Wifi

So many of us only have this type of wifi, please let us use it.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

11 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

bk_magness
First Steps

I agree. I have had my Fitbit Ionic for a few months now, and I have enjoyed using it for the basic functions. I recently bought Bluetooth headphones and attempted to connect to transfer music. After getting very frustrated and reviewing many forums, I figured out Ionic does not connect to the type of Wifi network I have. I do not understand how such a high-end, expensive watch does not have the ability to connect to a type of network that is so common. It is very aggravating to have spent so much on a watch that I now discover I will not be able to use from the comfort of my home!! 

DaSpook
Runner

5 GHz WiFi would be cool, but alongside Europe you'll have most WiFi networks in the 2.4 GHz Band. If you consider to add 5GHz support be aware, that supporting the 2.4GHz Band would be nessesary, too.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

5ghz being a higher frequency means a shorter transmission distance, also it doesn't go through walls as easy. 

While I agree it would be nice, with the very small antenna on the Ionic, I wonder how use full it would be. 

Esmeliz
Jogger

It would be great if enterprise WiFi was supported too, for Ionic and Versa! (With a username and password required)

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I'm not sure if the chosen WifiWchio supports 5ghz. 

Bagmage
First Steps

5 GHz is a must nowadays. Personally,  I was planning to shut down my  2.4 GHz network and go 5 GHz only, but  because of my Fitbit Scala I cannot do that, sigh.

The next time I go shopping for a WLAN enabled appliance, I will definitely look for a device with support for 5 GHz.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, 5g needs to be added. I'm about to ditch Fitbit for good and go with a smartwatch that will connect smoothly with my android phone and 5g connection. It's frustrating to have to switch back and forth between the 2.4 and 5 just for the Fitbit.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I have found any devices that are able to use 5g wifi.

My lights do not, alexa doesnt, garmin does not.

The apple watch can not.

I could go on.

LokeAa
Distance Runner
Like most smart devices Fitbit use 2.4GHz bandwidth, to connect to WI-FI. The majority do not know how to force smartphones to connect to the 2.4 GHz band. Bluetooth 5.0 transfer data with 2 MB per second. 2MB is enough for a tracker or smartwatch.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LokeAa, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to connect using 5 GHz Wifi or just Bluetooth. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.