Fitness Tracking Ring (for Hand)

It would be geat if there were an option for a fitness tracking (steps) ring for the hand.  I enjoy my Fitbit watch, but many times I wish I could just wear one of my many watches instead of a fitness watch.  A ring, however, could fix this because it could track your steps whithout taking the users preference for style away. 

It could contain simi-transparent display to show steps or just be a solid piece of metal (or rubber) that doesn't show steps - I'd be ok with either.  After searching for this online and coming up empty handed, I decided to check the US Patent DB system.  I see that Fitbit has a patent on Fitness Tracking devices and references various mediums for tracking (belts, hats, RINGS, etc), so the patent is already covered.  

Worth the research on market demand.  

Moderator edit: labels.

106 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes Heart

Pawle
First Steps

I hope this comes to pass.....I personally can't stand the watch so I live with the zip.  I am considering spending the money on another company's ring to see if I like it.. but would much rather stay in the FitBit ecosystem having used them for may years to track my steps and weight loss journey.

Tweety55033
First Steps

I would love a ring! I find that I can only get accurate data with my fitbit Charge 2 about 2 inches above my wrist.  This can make typing difficult though.  Also my fiance works at a very physical job and a watch just doesn't stand up to his work however a ring would be amazing for both of us!  I'm seriously considering one of the other rings on the market but would rather not move away from the fitbit brand.  It is important to have a feminine version that is not bulky so that we can still wear it under winter gloves without having to remove it.

Zlee
First Steps

Be the first in the industry to create a ring that measures SpO2 and connects it to other fitbit technology. You guys want to be more involved in the health industry? Create this product for people who need to regularly need to monitor blood oxygenation, athletes, and anyone else that likes to keep track of fitness stats. It doesn't matter if you are unable to to make a ring that gets a proper reading at the base of the finger, just make it so that it takes a reading when you slide it to the tip of the finger. 

Jayelo
Pace Setter

I just want them to make that function available on the versa already since it is already equipped with the sp02 equipment. Otherwise, why have it on the Versa and advertise it that it is a function that they are planning to implement soon? How soon? 

Zlee
First Steps

Yeah, I agree that it should be available. My idea of having a ring measure the SpO2 is that it may be more accurate than the wrist. 

Teljaua
First Steps

I agree. I even switched to the flex last year because I wanted something a little more discreet and I wanted to wear bracelets and watches again. I have considered switching to the MOTIV ring but I really like the Fitbit company as a whole and would love to see a titanium or silicone ring in the market in the near future. I totally would buy it!! 

kennykhlee
Recovery Runner

I started researching Motiv and Oura.  Asked on twitter what people thought through poll - https://twitter.com/kennykhlee/status/1003324117792124928

I plan to keep my fitbit charge HR but will manually import the data from my ring to the fitbit app because I love it. I just wish Fitbit would form factor a One into a ring.  

KatherineQ
Recovery Runner

The fit bit ring is definitely the way to go. 

I’ve already lost two friends on Fitbit to the Motiv.   I am currently contemplating moving over. As for now the only thing that’s keeping me put is the fact that I’ve used fitbit  when originally came out as a pod in the Nike shoes.  I really don’t want to switch over,  but the advantages of the ring out Weights what I currently have.   The ring is convenient, waterproof, small, stylish, and also allow you to wear it during very formal event.  

I would like to remain a dedicated customers to fitbit, Please consider advancing over to the ring  Technology. 

Mcinnisp
Jogger

I'll be second in line.

AJATX
Jogger

I have been a fitbit user for over 3.5 years and am now considering moving to oura or motiv. The features on the fitbit dashboard is what is still keeping to me attached to fitbit. Does fitbit plan to launch a ring version anytime soon?

Mcinnisp
Jogger
I wish I knew if they were coming out with the ring soon or even at all. It would seem like a great fit for them.
r2lls
Jogger

@Fitbit anyone seeing all this support for a ring?

Nlahlouh
First Steps
Seriously!!!

Natasha Lahlouh
trunyen
First Steps

Hi,

I think a ring would be great for someone such as myself who does not wear watches or other jewelry items such as bracelets. I saw the Motiv ring but would rather stick with Fitbit since I have had a Fitbit tracker for 4-5 years. 

Samih
First Steps

As observed recently that the nano technology start becoming more preferable for the consumers. Specially for the fitness trackers. As a personal opinion; and as a big fan of fitbit products, I strongly recommend to create fitbit smart ring. The ring should have at least the basics of what the other smart wearable devices have. I believe that it`s going to be a wide step beyond the other competitors.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm quite sure that when my Fitbit craps out (how long do they last?) I'll replace it with a Motiv Ring-unless fitbit comes out with one of their own.  Maybe there's a patent issue preventing this?

foreverdancing
Recovery Runner

Depends on which fitbit model you have, many last under a year before the
screen cracks making it difficult or impossible to read. See related post:
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta-HR/cracked-Alta-HR-screen/m-p/2813561#M28347

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Sweet-C
First Steps

I just came across the motiv ring and I hope Fitbit comes out with one soon! What an awesome concept!

KatherineQ
Recovery Runner
Hi Comanchesue. Good question regarding the patent issue. Either way, FITBIT has been very mute on this topic. I'm giving them until the end of the year. At last count, another friend, this makes 3 have switched to Motiv. And so far they love it. The band to my blaze is looking as if it will brake soon. This sucks. Im on a FB chat with Motiv and all the comments are looking favorable.

Good luck with your fitness goal and thanks for the comment.
KatherineQ
Recovery Runner
Hello Sweet-C. Yes it is an awesome concept. And very stylish. I'm giving Fitbit until the end of the year. Motiv idea is too good to pet go.

Good luck with your fitness goals.
Glorypants
Recovery Runner

I've had the Motiv ring for the last month after being loyal to Fitbit for years. It's reaaaally great to have a ring instead of a watch, but I'm not sold on the functionality that Motiv brings to the table. What I really want is all of the Fitbit functionality like manual start/stop activity tracking and connected GPS and alert vibration, but Motiv has none of that yet. I still have a few weeks left on my money back guarantee, but I'm thinking I'll be returning it and coming back to a Charge 2 until Motiv steps up their game or Fitbit makes a ring. Motiv has promised the manual start/stop activity tracking soon, but I doubt it will be done by the time my trial is over.

Sweet-C
First Steps
Thank you so much for the feedback. I believe I will keep my Fitbit Charge 2 a while longer in hopes that they come out with a round face or a ring. In the meantime, I have ordered a stainless steel band to help it look a little more like a watch.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
annacolm
Jogger

I would really like a Fitbit ring that tracks activity, heart rate and sleep like the new Motiv ring. I've been a Fitbit user since 2013, I like the app and have many friends connected through it, so I don't want to switch. However, if my current Blaze dies (as all Fitbits do) before ring versions come out, that might be the way I have to go. 

annacolm
Jogger

I've been a fitbit user since 2013 (on my 5th device). My Blaze is about to die and I'm thinking about switching to motiv ring if Fitbit doesn't come up with a competitive option soon.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.