Flip screens for left-handed people Fitbit Sense/Versa Smartwatches

In order for the button to be on the correct side for left-handed people wearing the device on their right hands, allow for the screen to be flipped when the setting for the hand is on left-handed.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

147 Comments
burnline1
First Steps

Get this done NOW!  

pbrighton84
First Steps

This thread is almost a year old and multiple people want this feature. I’m a left and have to wear mine on my left wrist because I press the button all the time when wearing it on my right. If I had known I couldn’t change this I would’ve spent the extra money on an Apple Watch! Please fix this issue

Mikeyy
Jogger

Yeah, the next watch I get once the Sense craps itself is an Apple watch

Campbeau
First Steps

Hi!  Currently there is an estimated 10-12% of lefties in the population.  While it might not be a lot, I do believe it would be worth your developers time to add a rotate feature to all watches/fitness trackers.  You could even add this in your advertisement and it would draw left handers in like crazy! 

SmilingNihilism
First Steps

I'm not a lefty but I where my watch on my right wrist always have, and I would love this feature however doesn't really seem like they plan to implement it, which is a shame considering how much I paid for my sense.

RichardHB
Jogger

This essential feature for left handed people is still missing after a year if users requesting it. It should have been available when the Versa 3 was first released. Still no response from Fitbit. What a way to treat customers. Every other smartwatch that competes with the Versa 3 has this feature. I shall never buy another fitbit ever again. 

asiby
Jogger

This thread is getting just a tad too long. We needed a new smartwatch in the house for my wife this time. And I decided to go for the iWatch. After several months, I am here with the report: Despite being expensive, it's worth every penny. After all, you do get what you pay for.

Now the plan is to get another iWatch to replace the Fitbit Sense I am wearing. One of the kids will be using the Sense watch. Beware that the iWatch "requires" an iPhone. Not an iPad or a Mac, but an iPhone. Because of that, I am just waiting for my Android Pixel phone to die, then I will switch from Android to iOS. I don't care about this screen flipping feature anymore.

itsmrchris
First Steps

How on earth in 2021 is this feature not implemented yet.  Over 10% of the population is left handed. And from the tech code standpoint this could not be more simple.  A checkbox for rotation 180°.  You can solve a major problem for 10% of all users in a few hours of code.  Relying on people to come here and login, upvote and comment is irritating. This is a simple fix team. Please get it done. 

LeLu13
First Steps

How on earth is the top of the line device from the top of the line fitness tracker that is now owned by Google not able to accommodate such a large portion of the population that left handed people make up? All it will take is a simple screen flip. Practically every screen on the market has a screen flip. Please please make this update. Trying to use the button as a left handed person wearing it on my right wrist is a major pain in the butt and pretty much doesn't work most of the time. I was so excited to get my sense, but how difficult it is to use the button is VERY discouraging and off putting.

ScottJ10
First Steps

Wait, are we actually still waiting for this simple feature to be implemented?

jason_e_johnson
First Steps
Be able to wear fitbit on left hand but have the screen flip so that the button is on the right side not lefy when worn on left hand
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @jason_e_johnson, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to rotate the screen of your Fitbit device with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

FierceNinja
Jogger

hey @LizzyFitbit since you can take time to move around posts, can you show some consideration and follow up with your superiors given how frustrated all lefties have been for so long? And the kicker is that you actually have this feature on prior Fitbit models!  Boggles my mind. I mean you can see the posts on the topic, can't you?  Or maybe you are a bot? I don't know.

Nikreid13
Jogger

Add my name to the vote. I’m not holding out much hope considering this has been an issue for over a year. I just received my Sense a few days ago and I’m already going insane. Unless I wear it really high on my right arm, the sensation activates constantly. Almost impossible to get through an entire workout without it pausing 5 or more times. I will be sending this back and won’t come back to Fitbit until they get this right. As a lefty, I’m used to having to adjust different things or wear things differently or acclimate in different ways, but this makes it literally impossible to use as a lefty when it would be a simple fix to allow the face to rotate. Very disappointing. 

Dragonqueen88
Jogger

Still no way to flip the screen but I changed a few settings so now the button isn’t constantly lighting up my screen. I turned it to manual and decreased the brightness which helps to save battery. I have had mine since Mother’s Day and noticed it doesn’t stay charged as long. 

Gch_
Base Runner

Its worth having a look to see if there may be clock faces for left handed people in the Gallery, such as SimpleClockPro-L, that can rotate the clock face display.

Nikreid13
Jogger
Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried that one and it does help for the face, but all the notifications still come upside down 😞

Sent from my iPhone
Yeskav
First Steps

HELP US!

I've only had my sense for a week and it's driving me crazy! My versa never had that issue

methodsignature
First Steps

Not only is this inconvenient (can't check the time ON MY WATCH without pressing a button), it is a probable security issue.

Usually, when I check the time, the watch is asking me to set up a credit card instead of showing me the time. I can only assume if I did set up a credit card, I would be constantly accidentally pressing this button with my right wrist and basically broadcasting an offer to use my credit card all the time.

My next watch will be a Garmin. Clearly support doesn't exist for current Fitbit users. I am sure Google (who bought fitbit) will only continue the trend of not providing adequate support.

Guy_
Space Racer

HI @methodsignature - you can assign different functions to the button, other than Fitbit pay, have a look on your watch settings shortcuts.

If the watch is not waking, go to Quick settings and make sure the wrist wake action is enabled, if your watch supports it, then button push would not be necessary. Or in the Fitbit App, click profile photo, device photo and enable Quick view.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not only is the new haptic button terrible, but I find it extremely ridiculous that previous versa models had this feature but not the versa 3.  Seems like it would be quite a simple thing to add.  Makes me realize that Fitbit doesn't care about a good portion of their users, left handed folk.  The fact that there has been several updates to the versa 3 since I got mine about a year ago only supports my claim.  I for one will be changing to an Apple Watch once this versa dies, which will be in about another year if my Fitbit track record remains the same as the last 3 I've had...

Guy_
Space Racer

@SunsetRunner- How do you flip the screen on a Versa original?

Did you look at SimpleClockPro-L, that has a rotated clock face display?

methodsignature
First Steps

@Guy_ interesting. Thanks. I just turned long and double press shortcuts off. Let's see if the watch works well as a watch now. 🤞

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is the best suggestion yet still no resolution to a problem that millions face 

Leo_Fit
First Steps

It should be common sense: users enjoy screen rotation in all mobile devices, why Fitbit watches prevent us from enjoying this feature?

The happier, the more users Fitbit gains: everybody wins!

Cheers!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.