Food Database for New Zealand.

A New Zealand food data base would be amazing. The closest is the American one but doesnt really do the trick as our Kai is so different. I hope you can consider including a database for us in the future 🙂

Moderator edit: Added labels 

31 Comments
RunningFree
Recovery Runner
Agree.a solely New Zealand database would be ideal but a NZ/Australian database would be good too. Also can we get some more generic food options, not just branded or restaurant foods. Also more option of generic foods - raw, steamed, roasted, grilled, boiled.
Sentient
Jogger

So I just got a FitBit and they emailed me with an email titled "Tracking meals in
New Zealand just got easier." But there's no option for New Zealand in the drop down (Settings > Personal Info > Preferences > Food Database ). Also there are none of our basic staples, like a mince and cheese pie or a flat white.

Sentient
Jogger

I did a bit more research and it appears that they don't even  realise that New Zealand and Australia are different countries. This post https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/a-food-list-for-new-zealand/m-p/554824#M20175 is a "solution" to a request for the New Zealand database, but links to the Australian one.

MissManPants
Keeping Pace
I got excited when they emailed there were new Zealand Food but I am yet to find Kumera. Seriously no Kumera?
Richiekr
First Steps

Hi,

I have been using the Surge for the past few days and pretty happy all in all. But i have been using the calorie counter and barcode scanner and have found that when scanning food stuffs from New Zealand they can not be found. i then have to enter the food stuffs in to customs foods.

Wondering if there is any discussion or plans to implement a New Zealand food database?

Thanks

eastyrust
Jogger
Still cannot find the New Zealand food data base option. Is there another way apart from the drop down options
Hi Fitbit,
I am a New Zealander who would really like to be able to use the calorie counter/food lists to their full potential on my Fitbit charge, however I am finding it hard to find the things I am eating on other countries food lists. So I was wondering if there is any chance in the near future that you would consider uploading a New Zealand food list.
Many Thanks,
Brooke
Hi Fitbit,
I am a New Zealander who would really like to be able to use the calorie counter/food lists to their full potential on my Fitbit charge, however I am finding it hard to find the things I am eating on other countries food lists. So I was wondering if there is any chance in the near future that you would consider uploading a New Zealand food list.
Many Thanks,
Brooke
JackieHNZ
Jogger
Yes please would really love a New Zealand Database
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SilviaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Great idea! This will help users that are in New Zealand to easily log their food. 

Thank you for visiting the Feature Request board. 

Kayleigh11
First Steps
Heya,
Australia and NZ are different countries, can you please set up a NZ foods database. It's a pain having to use another fitness app to work out calories.
Thanks
martin67
Jogger

A NZ database would be great, neither the American or Australian databases are a good fit really. With the uptake of Fitbit in this country it is becoming important. Also the search algorithms are not logical or intuitive enough, in fact they are very clumsy. If you type 'bread' or 'milk' those should be the first things that come up, not some other irrelevant, detailed or niche result.

Kat-4
First Steps
Would be great to see this happen. New Zealand food database.
martin67
Jogger
the quality of the database is the only problem with fitbit. The data is
very frustrating and not relevant to NZ, much more investment in how search
algorithms work, and country specific data is needed. These are not cheap
devices, and the database quality is letting fitbit down in a big way.
Generalised responses from help desk staff are no use at all.

Martin Fey
69 Seine Rd.
Forrest Hill
Auckland 0620
office: 09 410 9475
home: 09 410 5815
mob: 021 2999794
mart.fey@gmail.com
Ngabushbaby
First Steps

I would really like to have an independent NZ food database, as I find it fustrating that I can't log any food or scan any barcodes with our food as it says it's unavailable. Having this feature available will be really nice.  

eastyrust
Jogger
Surely by now something should be happening? How long does it take to convince the world of Fitbit that NZ and Australia are two very different countries, separated by a large expanse of water?

Regards
Patsy
martin67
Jogger

still no meaningful progress on this. The quality of the database for NZ is a joke. Also noticing the construction of the wristbands is poor, they don't last the distance for active outdoor people . fitbit just taking the money and having a laugh really. A pity because it is a good idea. product development and listening to the feedback of serious users is a must.

eastyrust
Jogger
I have no problem with the Fitbit wristband, I have a flex which is about 3 years old now. I did get another strap, (not happy that a set of three was the cheapest option, as I just wanted a change in colour from my grey one, it was a pretty expensive option)
I wear my flex constantly, I don't swim, but wear it in the shower, have never had a problem with it. I only remove it when it needs charging, and it goes from no charge to fully charged within about an hour or so. The only problem was that I decided to use the Fitbit food tracking feature when they said NZ food was available, only to find it wasn't.

Regards
Patsy
Morepork
First Steps

Please, please, please add a dedicated New Zealand food database, we deserve our own!! Smiley Wink

Baseman-NZ
First Steps

An NZ food database would be great.   A lot of local food isn't listed ie.  Seafood, beer, dairy product, etc

Jules_nz
First Steps

Hi, NZ food menu would be very helpful - i default the the UK one - but has no products so makes the barcode scannning redundant. 

PLease please please! 

thanks 

SusieEve
First Steps

I totally agree - Aussie food data base is no use in New Zealand. Bring on a Kiwi one!

rustyeast
Keeping Pace

Can't believe after 2 years there is still no NZ food option. I only use my Fitbit for sleep, steps and challenges. Could do so much more if diet etc was included, but it is too hard to figure out what is equal to something using the Australia, UK, or whatever food offerings. There are an awful lot of health conscious people in NZ probably many more would turn to Fitbit if they had the same options regarding NZ as do the Aussies etc for their countries.

Andrea74
Jogger

I can't believe there is still no NZ FOOD DATABASE. Pretty sure we in NZ pay the same price for a fitbit as other countries. Also pretty ridiculous given MyFitnessPal has it! Surely you can just buy their data. And no, I don't want to log my food in MyFitnessPal and sync - it doesn't work and I actually want to use the Fitbit app only. It's so annoying! 

rustyeast
Keeping Pace
I seem to remember Fitbit saying that NZ food options weren’t far away?
That was simply ages ago!

Where are those options?
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.