Food Database for South Africa

Add south Africa as a country and add a South African food database

Moderator edit: added labels and edited title for clarification 

55 Comments
ShimFit
Stepping Up

Fitbit customers have been requesting a food database for South Africa for over 3 years. Clearly fitbit has taken no interest in their S.A. consumers needs nor have they even bothered to respond to us. Won't recommend fitbit to anyone or purchase an upgrade. 

Thanks for nothing. Not impressed that we pay an arm and leg for a fitness tracker but cannot use all the features. I'm just curious as to why fitbit has decided to give South Africans no feedback or service? 

PikkieM
Jogger

This is an old suggestions, but I would like to request these features again as it is still not available.

Please add South Africa.

NixF
First Steps

Please please please add South Africa to the Food Database

NixF
First Steps

Please add South Africa to the database

Rozanne
First Steps

Honestly, still no South African food database?! Please make all your loyal supporters and users happy and help us grow your market in South Africa. It is such a let down to not be able to use this products to its fullest.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. In terms of an update, there aren't currently any plans to release this feature. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks for responding at long last, @LizFitbit (in my case, it's over 8 months since I posted my comment). This is disappointing news. Your response essentially shows that Fitbit as a company does not intend to make its full functionality available or supported in a country where its devices hold significant market share. Not a very wise business decision if you want South African Fitbit customes to remain brand-loyal when next they buy another device. I for one will be checking out other options which will support a SA food database. 

Thorly
First Steps

Please look into adding a South AFrican food database. It is very difficult to log food without this database on the fitbit app. There are so many Fitbit users in South Africa.

NiteKitti
First Steps

Please add a South African food database.

Or allow us to integrate with Fat Secret which already has a South African food database.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please! 

Clarissa99
Jogger

Frustrating when I have to use two apps. Currently logging food via my fitness pal because Fitbit does not have South African food database . Please guys! You actually have a pretty solid community here! 

Chants
First Steps
Fitbit is finally good for something. Thank you for writing down the app
you are using, it looks great, I've already joined.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I don't think there was a campaign run to include all those other countries.. I keep getting recomendations for events in new york and I am too many kilometers from there.

Arthsterorama
Recovery Runner

Seriously since 2015 SA people have been begging for this.... And nothing

One users in the US has has a question over a small bug and there is new firmware the next day. Come on guys how hard can it be? 

MarzenGold
First Steps

I just purchased a charge 3. Really disappointed there is no SA food db. So +1 from me.

ChantelaQ
Jogger

Thread started in 2015.. It's 2019 & there is still nothing done about this request.. i feel that it's wrong to release FitBit in South Africa if you cannot accommodate their needs there.. Our food types are different here & so are the amount of calories, the US & UK food databases are just not meant for SA users.. This is very disappointing.. I paid R3000 for a Fitbit Charge 3 & can't even properly log my calories..

Chanel_5059
First Steps

Please add south Africa did database

Nikbond
Jogger

Please add a SA database.  New to Fitbit and find it very frustrating adding foods.  This is something important to track for many reasons and would be great if the device could do it without the hassle.

Nikbond
Jogger

Please add South African Food Database.  It is very frustrating adding foods individually and should be a simple process with all the correct data for each food, which is important for health reasons.

Arthsterorama
Recovery Runner

I gave up asking. Fitbit just ignores SA unless it comes to paying for a device or paying to see your sleeping heart rate... 

Very disappointing to say the least. 

Mphu
First Steps
Please add a South African food database and time zone. I'm on my second Fitbit device since 2014 and still no database - the wife too. Come on guys! Please!
MariusB
First Steps

January 2020 and no South African food database yet. I've literally been logging my food for almost two years now that I have my Charge 2 by manually building the foods from the provided nutritional information on the back of the packaging. Very frustrating.

DjSteph
First Steps

@LizFitbit why would Fitbit sell their gadgets in South Africa and not include it in the list of countries on the app?  

It is very frustrating to see a "Miami" community as part of the "nearby communities" list. 

Could this please be addressed? 

Andz77
First Steps

Please load the South African food database. Its been 5 years since the first request, surely you can load this now. You are prompting your Fitbit products in SA so why not give the community the feature. Its painful loading each item on.

Anne_tonia
Jogger

Please add a South African Data Base. 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.