Full integration with Runkeeper (bi-directional flow)

Hi!

I've always enjoyed running with Runkeeper, but now I like the Fitbit app very much as well. But data only flows from Fitbit to Runkeeper, not vice versa. I would really love a bi-directional flow. That would really be my cue to buy a Surge.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

55 Comments
aastroem
First Steps

The sync between runkeeper and fitbit seems to be one-directional with data flowing from fitbit to runkeeper but not the other way around. I would love this feature!

Cetrian
First Steps

Hugely agreed! I'd like to sync my cycling and mountainbiking sessions automatically with FitBit and use FitBit as the one dashboard.  The issue is that the fitbit does not accurately track when you're on a bike, (calories, distance, etc) and the Force is not waterproof (WHY!? Shame on FitBit for this) so I can't track my swimming. 

schnika
Jogger

Another vote for this feature!  I like the FitBit one dashboard for all my activity, but I do like some of the features on RunKeeper for tracking runs and other activity.

andysando
Recovery Runner

Definitely a big thumbs up from me!

Since a GPS almost always gives a more accurate measurement of eg a run, it would have been desirable for the log from Runkeeper to automatically, or by pressing a button, put the activity on the corresponding time on the fitbit, with time, distance, calories, etc.

Another feature that would have been great is if fitbit could calculate the stride length based on the steps and distance of a run / walk.

janhancic
First Steps

I'm also missing this featuer a great deal. Seems like a no-brainer really.

kathyrobisch
First Steps

I agree one hundred percent.  Fitbit always gets my active minutes wrong; using the data from runkeeper would fix that.

JimTheGreat
First Steps

I agree also. I would like one website to go to for all of my activity and diet information. FitBIt does a good job on the site. My Runkeeper data includes GPS tracks. I will migrate to the first site that provides me one stop.

Trelander
Jogger

I will also switch websites to whatever allows me to have a one stop. Runkeeper says its on Fitbit's end to connect to the data. This is disapointing to say the least.

jmcnamara
First Steps

Yes, add the bi-directional sync.  It shows you play nice with others and it REALLY helps us who are into races (marathon, etc.) and are going to insist on using runkeeper first in those (and other training settings).  No blackmail or anything, but I will say this: I got FitBit as a gift and love it, but if this feature isn't forthcoming, I can envision the day when I won't bother.  I was a runner first (recovering from broken toes right now) and will seek out a device that works with RunKeeper better.

eticha06
First Steps

Runkeeper and FitBit should have a two way Sync. Period. It makes using both application useless since I have to re-enter into my fitbit account all activities done with RunKeeper when all the info is there.

unrustable
First Steps

Other apps like myfitnesspal can read/write to fitbit why can't Runkeeper?  I vote for this as well where fitbit and runkeeper do a bidirectional communication of data. 

webhode
First Steps

Do it! Runkeeper sync will improve Fitbit.

Falkens
Jogger

Forgive me, but how hard can this be really ??

Slomo304
First Steps

It would seem, from my own research and reading comments here, that there are are least 2 apps that have bi-directional sync, myfitnesspal and endomodo, so surely it can be done with runkeeper. I have used both runkeeper and endomondo but prefer runkeeper

RandyWood84
Recovery Runner

@Slomo304  where did you find information about which apps are bidirectional and which apps are not?

Slomo304
First Steps

@RandyWood84 the link I usedfor Endomondo is https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/202228488-Fitbit, I checked out myfitnesspal as well as my daugther uses this App and has a fitbit

sjestill
Stepping Up

I agree!!  I am an ice skater, and the Fitbit mobile tracking just does not support my skating. Manually logging the skating isn't as good as the tracking. Please, this would be the best way to track my skating into Fitbit, if my RunKeeper activities could transfer 🙂

sjestill
Stepping Up

I know this was already posted two months ago, but I would like to add it again...

I am an ice skater, and RunKeeper is really the best app for tracking and logging my skating activities. I learned that the RunKeeper link I have is only one way, it only sends my Fitbit data to Runkeeper, not vice versa. Please, being able to have my RunKeeper activities transfer to my Fitbit profile would be the best way to accurately track my ice skating. 🙂

chiefman492
First Steps

Would love to see the bi-directional syncing. Recommended by runkeeper here: https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201110356-Connecting-with-Fitbit

Banks2
Stepping Up

I know that fitbit has its own run tracking now but it would be nice if Runkeeper and fitbit both talk to each other instead of using mfp as a middle man.

Moderator Edit: Labels

andersonvom
First Steps

Yeah, playing nice with other services is always the way to go!  I'd love to see Fitbit data flowing into RunKeeper and vice-versa as well!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@PrinsesDendy Thanks for sharing your request for a two-way Runkeeper/Fitbit integration.

Although the Fitbit/Runkeeper integration is currently a one way integration, you can manually log your Runkeeper stats on the Log section of your Fitbit account if you prefer to use Runkeeper over a Fitbit tracker as a workaround.

Thanks for sharing your ideas on the Feature Request Board.

RWCojack007
First Steps

I totally agree! I am a RunKeeper user for quite a few years now and I would love to make use of RunKeeper for activity-tracking in the future.

No offense to the FitBit Excercise/Acitivities framework, which looks very nice as well. But since I have over 400 activities tracked in RunKeeper, I would hate to lose track of them. I guess there are lots of users like me who feel the same.

I would be already be very happy so see all my FitBit Surge activities automatically synced to my RunKeeper account. Instead of exporting the activity as tcx from FitBit, and importing the activity (tcx) in RunKeeper.

bwoodworth
Jogger

+1 For this for sure. Love my Charge HR, but Fitbit's lack of quality tracking for anything but walking/running/hiking is lame. Either build-in biking, XC skiing, DH skiing, kayaking, surfing, SUP-ing, etc. or allow 2-way integration with apps like Runkeeper and Strava.

HrOnsdag
First Steps

Could you pleas do an update to what data that sync to Runkeeper?

I have used Runkeeper for several years and one of the reasons I bought my Fitbit Surge was that it sync with Fitbit, but the data that actually sync is kind of useless to me. I want to see ALL my activity data both in Fitbit and Runkeeper...

I have asked the support at Runkeeper and they say it is Fitbit that choose what to sync...

So PLEASE (!) fix this!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.