Get rid of Heart Rate Reserve in the Heart Rate Zone calculation

Please revert to industry standard (220 - age x 70-85%) when calculating the cardio zone and accordingly the fat burning and peak zones.
Versa 2 / iPhone 8
18 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CindiLi, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about using previous standard (220 - age x 70-85%) to get heart rate zones. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

SimonJWalker
First Steps

I agree with Cindy. New heart zone ranges are not useful for me. I'm not getting as much value out of my Versa 2 because of it.

Kcrozzers
First Steps

Agree with this. Having upgraded to a Versa 3 today, I am very disheartened to not get active zone minutes for my exercise now that the calculations have changed 

Aahulick
Jogger

I agree completely! 
I do not even want to use my Fitbit now. After completing a workout, to see that my Fitbit vowed my workout no different than me sitting at my desk, it is so disheartening. This is seriously discouraging to someone trying to create healthy habits and live a healthy lifestyle.

DigorySmith
First Steps

I also agree! The new way that this is measured is completely demoralising. 

MissChris1974
First Steps

I 100% agree. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I would prefer the industry standard. If I become an athlete, I will figure out heart rate reserve myself.

Muckers4
First Steps

Please , please change the heart rates back! I’ve just finished a 3 hour strenuous hike to be informed by my Fitbit that an hour of it didn’t count - how draining to my enthusiasm. I have numerous health issues and will never reach the peak heart rate zone of above 158 bpm . 

LyshaD
First Steps

I have been using FitBit for 2 years and love it but the new heart rate zone calculations on my new Versa 3 is really discouraging. Every day I feel defeated. Please go back to the way it was. I consider myself physically fit , I am not an Olympic athlete.

BeaG123
Recovery Runner

I just got Versa 3 last week as my Charge 3 died - I'm very disappointed with new heart rate zones - they are too high, half of the workout shows I was below any zone. I never had that before. I do spinning, boot camp, HIIT workouts and this is very disheartening seeing you are not getting to the peak at all, cardio ratio to fat burn and below is very low - that was never the case with previous watches. 

kabdoc
First Steps

I just got a new fit bit luxe and the program had to updated from the old one I used with my old charger 2. Now I have the same issue others are complaining about. My heart rate zones are set for my age (67). But even with spinning and getting my heart rate into the 130s it reports my efforts as resting. After reading reviews I understand this was changed by Fitbit but agree that it should go back to the standard zones for fat burn, Cardio, and peak zones. Or at least gives us the choice of which to use. Now I am disappointed that the luxe (which it lovely) may have changed my ability to easily see what my efforts truly are.  

Kerriyj
Jogger

Agree with all the above. Utterly discouraging.

MelissaDM
Jogger

Agreed. I've done the same, updated my numbers to a max heart rate of 160 to achieve numbers that are more on point. If I were to get my heart rate up to 160 as a peak, I'd be in the hospital. When I work out hard, I'm about 130 or so. So these new numbers are not realistic for an average person like me. It is also disheartening and demotivating. For a tool that should help motivate, that is no good.

Headholio
Jogger

I completely agree that this HRR method is not what I want and not the best way to do it for most regular people.  The comments above support my opinion so why isn't anything being done about it?  Shouldn't I be the one who decides what I want my daily report to say?  

Traditional fat burn and cardio zones for me (50 and 70 percent) would be 80 and 102 bpm.  My fitbit doesn't register fat burn until 109 bpm and cardio at 125.  That difference is huge.  

Please give us a firmware update that will allow us to set our own fat burn and cardio thresholds!

Headholio
Jogger

One more thing to add about the flaw with using the HRR calculation.  Although it might be great for well trained athletes, could it be dangerous for older people?   Less healthy people with higher resting HR  have less HRR and therefore need to get to a higher heart rate just to get to the fat burn zone.  That's not right.  

rider5
First Steps

Just bought a Luxe for my wife. I could NOT figure out why her Peak minutes STARTED at 144 BPM. WTF? She is 61 years old and I got her this Fitbit for HIIT. Her target heart rate zone for HIT intervals should start at 127. 144? That is insane. That should be the TOP of her peak range. You really want people topping out at their MHR? What you need then is a PEAK+ range for elite athletes and even they should not train at MHR for any length of time. 

My wife is an exercise freak and achieves ZERO peak minutes. Not right. Frankly it makes the thing useless for HIIT. I had to add a custom heart range which is dumb. I would have to lower her resting heart rate considerably to use as is which is really not the way to do this.

Get RID OF THIS algorithm or add a fourth level and give extra points for achieving it. I guarantee it will be a minority of your customers who do.

Headholio
Jogger

Another great example of why this HRR method of calculating your heart rate zones is just bad.  Unfortunately, no one is listening.  

DSD68
First Steps

I agree with everyone here. My threshold for the fat burning zone is now 110 bpm, I only hit that on my walks when I am walking up a steep hill! Does not make sense!

Mushka61
First Steps

I agree with Cindy, at least give us the option to use the standard method or Heart Reserve.   At Orange Theory I get credit for my heart rate based on standard metrics - why shouldn't I with my Fitbit... it is disheartening.    

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.