Glympse App integration, that allows another person to track your location

So I’m a runner and currently in order to feel safer about running in the early morning (dark) I take my iPhone and enable an app called “Glympse” to give my husband the ability to see where I’m at for my entire run.  I just got my ionic yesterday as an early Christmas present and I’m so excited to use it without having to drag my iPhone along with.  Loved the idea of gps function and having my music without my phone however my safety is a bigger concern.  It would be awesome to have an app or something that would allow someone access to my current location for “x” amount of time and only when enabled.  Thanks for the consideration!  

Moderator edit: Labels

7 Comments
natalya
Recovery Runner

I would like to have the option to set up live tracking for when using GPS for runs. Whenever I go for a run, I use my Garmin because I can set up an alert that allows specified people to "follow" me when I run. This has been extremely helpful to me and my family when I'm running a race (they know where and when to spectate as well as see me at the end of the race) or when I'm out for long runs, as a safely precaution. I understand this wouldn't be possible from the Ionic alone, but I see no reason that it can't connect with a phone and the phone transmits the information. This is what Garmin does now. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please Heart

Fezaen
Stepping Up

Definitly agree that this should have been a standard app for the ionic. This is one of the main reasons why I'm considering exchanging the ionic for a garmin. Shame really, the ionic has so much potential but it seems like it was released prematurely. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, specially when you go running alone in dark places. It can also be used for other Fitbit friends to see where you at and meet to run together (optional). Thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

ejcortes
Jogger

I just saw this working on a Samsung Watch, and it's awesome! I wonder if the API really supports this, as the "Find My Phone" feature can't be implemented through the API, as said in another discussion...

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.