Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
dwights
Jogger

Hey Yasiv ...

there isn't a real way to combine them, unfortunately.  Open up your other original post, and add a link to the other thread, suggesting people "vote there", if they happen to find yours first.   Thanks!!

Clarebearx
First Steps

Great idea, I can't see the screen when I'm running so having to take my reading glasses 🤓

Mdw612
Jogger

I agree with the previous ideas but my request to be when I have exceeded my maximum heart rate, to help keep CHF in check

Mcvrk
First Steps

I love this idea!

@TheFlamingOnion wrote:

It be nice for a future software enhancement of the new surge and charge HR to use the vibration alerts in conjunction with the heart rate zones to notify me whether I am in or out of my target heart rate zone without having to look at the screen.

I.E. Rapid pulsed vibrations to notify me to increase and slow pulses to notify me to reduce my workout intensity or slow pulses to tell me to reduce and rapid pulses to increase my heart rate (configurable depending on your logic or what best makes sense to the user).

sunole
Jogger

yes i def need to know my range, i keep the phone next to me and keep looking at it, the phone should also give the notification it is easy in the IOS than in micro code!

Mark4Yesu
Jogger

Such a shame. Easy enough to add - and if they are worried about law suits
- just add a disclaimer that it may not be 100% accurate all of the time.
I think they can do it, but there is a fear of 2 things - issues with heart
rate accuracy and potential liability law suits.

matty84
First Steps

Come on Fitbit. At least respond. This feature seems trivial to implement and could be easily configured by a user if they wanted it. What's the problem?

Gailstewart
Jogger
Exactly 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Venillabean
First Steps

Heart rate vibration alerts would be a great feature! Would love to have this. 

@TheFlamingOnion wrote:

It be nice for a future software enhancement of the new surge and charge HR to use the vibration alerts in conjunction with the heart rate zones to notify me whether I am in or out of my target heart rate zone without having to look at the screen.

I.E. Rapid pulsed vibrations to notify me to increase and slow pulses to notify me to reduce my workout intensity or slow pulses to tell me to reduce and rapid pulses to increase my heart rate (configurable depending on your logic or what best makes sense to the user).

iamoot
Jogger

This would be a huge improvement, and doesn't need to be all that fancy.  Don't need differing vibrations, we'll know which direction we are out of of the heart rate zone.   And this would solve my issue with the Alta defective screen display, not being able to see it outside.  Win-win!

Rqb
Jogger
totally agree
iamoot
Jogger
 I didn't realize that this has been falling on deaf ears since 2014. They need to either fix the defective alta HR display that can't be read outside, or add the vibration alarm. Too bad, this product has so much promise.  Thx for the info, I'll definite y check out Garmin!   (Having other issues with my fitbit not consistently syncing.) 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
youngbamboo
Jogger

3 years and 31 pages. Fitbit just ignores customer's complaints and suggestions. I'm so curious why Fitbit use this forum? For fun or just let potential customers to make decision to buy Garmin? 

Mobilebarber
First Steps

I completely agree! Definitely something simple that would make staying in zone much easier! Please please please update. It is a simple idea that I am surprised hasn't been addressed yet as the leading fitness tracker! Please see the next update includes this simple vibration function. Thanks

renataferraz
First Steps

Heart rate alarms , please!

I want to be alerted if I am im my fat burn zone. So it would be nice if I could set an alarm for not only maximum HR, but also for a minimum heart rate.

GypsySoulWander
First Steps

This would be brilliant. 

ASavelyev
Stepping Up

I guess this is a matter of liability. What if smb dies when running and there was no alert signal, while the true hr was above. Once it's proved that the hr sensor is not accurate enough, which i suppose Fitbit knows perfectly well, their asses will be on fire. That's why no solution yet. At least one can make this conclusion unless proved otherwise.

flaq27
First Steps

I would like a notification when I reach my max heart rate zone!  Fitbit Surge

TomSpeight
Jogger

i posted this recommendation a couple of years ago and today got an email from the/a moderator that the topic is still alive.  the gist of my post is that i am a senior runner and need to pay more attention to what my heart is telling me during workouts rather than going for pace or times.  speed up at the bottom of the pulse rate range and slow down at the top of the target range.  Actually, a couple of years ago i ebay'd my fitbit and got a Garmin which does have this capability.  This is a software update not a whole new hardware implementation!

I miss the many other fitbit benefits and will be back in a heart beat ☺ if fitbit should "git it".

Vlat191
First Steps

I totally agree and want to push for this idea to be implemented.  Displaying HR Zones during a workout is nice but I'm trying to not look at my watch during the workout, which is why vibrations would be hugely benefitial.

lutzy
Jogger

I was just released from the Cardic Unit with strict instructions to take it easy... would love it if I didn't have to buy yet another item to give me alerts when I'm out of range!

EMcBitz
First Steps

Same here! Newly pregnant and surprised at how low 140bpm is. If I could set it so the Fitbit buzzes when I am around 130 or so, then I would know to back off a bit.

landry
Jogger

I am also looking for a similar feature, I'd like to be able to set an alarm if my HR drops below a certain level while at rest.

FibroMEEP
Jogger
And I'm guessing you don't want this feature overnight? I wouldn't anyway. But yes, I could see why you might.
Yasiv
Runner
Good Thought!

You should definitely be able to turn this feature off during the night, like you can do with a silent alarm.

Appreciate your point!

contains. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author, and do
not necessarily represent those of St Hilda's Anglican School for Girls
unless this is clearly indicated. This e-mail is copyright. St Hilda's is
not liable if any attachment is altered without written consent. St Hilda's
accepts no liability for any direct or indirect damage or loss resulting
from the use of any attachments to this e-mail. No virus found in this
incoming message.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.