Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
vjase
Recovery Runner

I would also love to see this feature. It would save me looking at my watch every 2 minutes! My old Nike used to beep twice when I went up a zone and once when I went down.. something similar with vibrations would be super!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This suggestion could definitely help out our users with their workouts. Thanks for sharing your feature request with us, we'll be sure to relay your suggestion on to the team.

ForexAngel
First Steps

Completely agree!  Heart rate zone alerts are a must!  It's the whole reason to have continuous HR.  Additionally, with all those who are getting afib and a flutter, it's a helpful tool that gives confidence that everything is firing correctly.  ...or not, whereas those that are asymptomatic, it would be the only way they would know it's happening to alert them to bear down to get their heart rate back to normal.  This would be a HUGE improvement to both the Charge HR and the Surge.

joaoabs
Stepping Up

I actually looked around and got surprised that I couldn't find this idea.

When doing any exercise (ex: running) we should be able to define a target HR zone. (ex: fat loss or even the HR BPM's), and whenever we are out of this zone (by going up or down) we should get warned.

The warning could be any of the following:

- Vibration in the fitbit itself (and then a message like "slow down" or "speed up!" scrolling in the LCD)

- Beep/Sound/vibration on the smartphone (I guess it would save battery on the fitbit)

- Audio on the smartphone (as many of us use the smartphone headphones to listen to music during exercise).

In the app/site there could be a menu option like "In my next training I'd like to work on the zone between <minumum HR> and <maximum HR> or in the <Fat burn zone>".

I mean, one of the points of having HR measurements during exercise is to be able to control the heart rate zones we are working on, right?

All Polar HR gear provides this functionality, why not fitbit?

Thanks,

Joaoabs

qoncept
Jogger

Very much want to see this. My doctor told me to get a heart rate monitor with an alarm to warn me when I'm over 90bpm (so I can walk away and deal with whatever is stressing me out later).

I think we have the same idea!

Vibration alerts for heart rate zones

melmgibson
First Steps

Yas!  I would like to set a HR 'alarm' to buzz me once/twice/six times when I reach my max heart rate zone; key to attaining the 'afterburn' effect that I've been reading so much about.

ClaireAriana
First Steps
Very true. Whenever I work out, I feel as if my heart is gonna "pop out" of my chest! And I have to slow down. They should have warnings. Would be good.
withersm
Stepping Up

great idea. I'd love to get a short vibrate and maybe a message if my heart rate were to go over a certain range.. at any point, not just during a workout. 

AhmedQ
First Steps

Definately needed. 

AhmedQ
First Steps

Definately needed. It can also help in other areas like alert someone when he is not excercised but getting tensed or angry.. Maybe he would calm down Smiley Happy

jorang
Hill Runner

There should also be an option to alter the max bpm. I'm 54yrars old thus my max is calculated as 220-54=166bpm. I reality my max is 190bpm.

There should be a setting to calibrate the max HR individually

Vibrations for heart rate zones, minimum steps/hr to induce some one to move, maybe low heart rate/disturbed sleep vibration to rouse you to wake
dhruv_shah
First Steps

Fitbit HR should be with heart rate alarm. If we activate the editable alarm and if our heart rate reaches to that level, it should immediately vibrate & give alarm.  

Typically I would like to monitor that I must be below 140 pulses during workout then whenever I cross it, it should vibrate so that I know I should take little rest. 

This can be connected with Mobile & sync with Automatically generated SMS to selected number in future for emergency.

Very simple feature without adding any new hardware into it. 

Moderator edit: added labels

Dhruv Shah

natalstein
First Steps

I agree. Currently fit bit displays bars to let you know the heart rate zone you are in. It is inconveniet to constantly check when you excersize. If fitbit can give you a buzz when switching from heart rate zones, it would be a blast!

natalia

jazzinthed
Jogger
This hasn't been solved?!? Why does it say "solved" up top?

Voting would be over 200+ if Fitbit mods would absorb our two voting counts.

HR Notifications

by Mantelope on ‎01-24-2015 19:35
Pinklillypops
Jogger
Set heart rate zones alerts so u know when to slow down or work harder to stay in your desired zone without keep checking
JimbobJones
Stepping Up

Pretty sure the Epson Pulsense with its built in HRM

@Pinklillypops wrote:
Set heart rate zones alerts so u know when to slow down or work harder to stay in your desired zone without keep checking

does this

anwenkh
Recovery Runner

I would also like to see the total time I've spent in that zone during the workout, as I often train for specific amounts of time in each zone. Customising the zones is my first desire though!

janneks
Jogger

This should also work when not in workout mode. I wanna set it up like to 90 beats/min on everyday basis so i would know when my surge goes nuts and hr climbs to ridicilous numbers. Just now i was sitting on my pc and noticed hr go up to 124.

Would be cool to have it vibrate immidiately so i can do something about it instead of having it record false HR for 30 minutes and mess up my daily calorie count.

DenisKh
First Steps

Hello

It will be usefull for fitbit charge hr and fitbit surge to have an additional option for alarm.

User may set a time period and a value of heart rate.

When during this period heart rate reaches set value alarm triggered.

If heart rate doesn't reach set value alarm triggered at the end of time period.

dalj
First Steps

I would like this as well. Just something simple as two quick vibrations if you go below X bpm, and one quick vibration if you go above Y bpm.

jensenink
Jogger
I was hoping an alarm for max target was already a feature of the new fitbits with the heart rate monitor. I am sick and have difficulty exercising, I also have a very high resting heart rate so i don't have much room before I reach my max. I am in need of a heart rate monitor to try to increase my health but I am very hesitant to purchase any heart rate monitor without the alarm. I enjoy my fb one for counting steps & to record my sleep (despite having challenges with correct stair flight counts). It would be great if this feature could be added sooner rather than later so I can buy another fb instead of something else. Thanks in advance! T
mmclane
First Steps

Really like the warning idea and vibration of fitbit should be vehicle. Don't always have the iPhone with me.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.