Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
MaryLow
Jogger

This would be excellent! 

robbinscreative
First Steps

So, I have to say that this has been a suggestion for the past three years with thousands of people wanting this feature and I can guarantee thousands of people that would love this feature but don't know to come to a forum to comment. Might I add the hundreds that would probably buy this watch if this feature was an option (my husband included) So, I would also like to have this feature and the suggestion from the original post sounds great! How many more need to post or ask for this feature for it to be added? You can already set your heart rate range on the Alta HR, so what more is there to do to just add in a notification vibration? We are asking!

Thanks!

Hello. I am a 57 year old male in good condition. But, I have some exercise induced hypertension and would like the Blaze to warn me when I am near my max heart rate. Basically, I want to stay away from the 160 range so if my HR hit 140 I would like the Blaze to vibrate or otherwise give me a notice.

awheewall
First Steps

They are never going to implement this. They had the cheek to tell me today that if enough people wanted this then it would happen, then directed me to this page. After three years and almost 800 comments in support, nothing has happened. Working in software myself, this really makes no sense; this is a few lines of code. Their devices already have the ability to alert, they do track the heart rate, and you can even set a custom maximum heart rate. I can't believe they suggested that you have to look at the screen to see when you've passed your set MHR. I'll be buying from someone else thanks.

This was my conversation with them via twitter today:

Me:
.@fitbit Which of your products will allow me to set a max heart rate and will alert me if I exceed this with sound and/or vibration?
11:52 AM - 29 Sep 2017

Fitbit:
Hi there! While our products allow setting a custom max heart rate, sound or vibrating notifications when it's exceeded aren't available.

Me:
Sooo, forgive my ignorance; what is the point in setting a max heart rate if the device doesn't then notify you that you've exceeded it?

Fitbit:
Great question! For some users, viewing their heart rate via the tracker display or app works. Do let us know if you have further questions!

Me:
Thanks, you've satisfied me that your products are pointless for this. I can't run and constantly stare at a screen, nor will anyone else.

Fitbit:
1/2 Hi! We have a similar idea that has already been reviewed by the moderator, please vote & leave a comment here: https://t.co/xHvhXR6e6t

2/2 Please be informed that more votes a feature suggestion has, the more likely it is to be implemented by our engineers. See you there!

Me:
This suggestion is 3 years old; 776 people have since agreed - nothing happened. Suggesting I add my name to that list is just insulting.
4:15 PM - 29 Sep 2017

Lvturner910
First Steps

I am pregnant and my doctor recommends I do not exceed 140bpm during my workouts. Having the feature for notification/vibration/etc. where when I reach my max heart rate on my charge2 would put my mind at ease. I constantly have to look at it during my workouts which probably makes me susceptible to falling over!  When will this be added?!  I know I'm not the only preggo who has received this advice.  

OldandFat
First Steps

I whole heatedly agree that I would replace my existing fitbit for one where I could choose a zone, (fat burn, Cardio, Interval training) and have it tell me when to speed up or slow down.  You have the HR sensor and the alarm buzzer... All you need is the logic! No brainer!

johnbnj
Recovery Runner

I want an alert for the heart rate zone and if it's not done in the next few months i'll move on to Garmin. 

FibroMEEP
Jogger
I agree - also useful if you've over-exerted and dropped below RHR
FibroMEEP
Jogger
I want notifications for similar reasons
Kenhj
First Steps

I would like this feature added. I don't want to jump ship to another brand for this one feature when it seems a pretty easy one to incorporate.

Plingun
First Steps

I bought the Fitbit because I was sure it had this feature. It doesn't make sense that it hasn't. Now I'm thinking about returning it and getting something else instead. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

An ability to set a max heart rate or a heart rate zone would help people when running.

The watch would vibrate and flash up on the screen if heart rate too high or out of zone, allowing the user to change their running pace.

1. This would help people that for medical reasons want to keep there heart rate down but still run.

2. It would also help running trying to do heart rate training or trying to keep in the right heart rate zone for the desired training effect.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 

FibroMEEP
Jogger
Yes, anything at all to notify up / down / danger etc
Chriswards
First Steps

Hey everyone, give up on this topic. If Fitbit had wanted they would have included the function already.

If you need heart rate alarms for health reasons then get a chest belt. Cheaper and much more accurate.. I have one and compare readings to Fitbit and quite often the Fitbit is way off. So putting alarms on it would be pointless.  Have a Blaze, it's ok for pace, although it easily gets into pause mode, I think when my shirt touches the screen sometimes. 

FibroMEEP
Jogger
Not all of us can wear chest straps though 😞
FibroMEEP
Jogger
And back down again after, with a special beep for sub RHR
yurdaern
First Steps

i would love to get this implemented. As i see this is a must addition to my fitness watch. currently using a heart strap to run in gym. but would not need to use this.

Fitbit please implement this.

Jer2911
First Steps

Yes please.  Want to use my Alta Hr with heart rate zone notificatons.

Collistro
Premium User
Jogger

cant you do that with the custom zones in your settings?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Collistro - no you can’t do that in settings. 

Łukasz
Keeping Pace

Do you have any information about new Fitbit Surge update for 2 years nothing happend.

Fitbit what's going on?

KCE120
First Steps

I have AF (atrial fibrillation), and I wrongly thought the Fitbit Charge 2 would have a HR notification as part of it’s initial operating system.   I thought I just couldn’t find it on Settings, and was really surprised this wasn’t available. 

Danielle.C
First Steps

I want this feature as well. 

ilobo
Recovery Runner

Assolutamente d'accordo. Possibile che dopo anni ancora non sia disponibile da Fitbit una funzione che avvisa se i battiti cardiaci superano una certa soglia, come nel caso di malattie cardiache o di una aritmia.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.