Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
krish_sm
Jogger

When can we expect this feature release ? 

Apparently, it seems to be over 2 years old..🙁

spainm
Stepping Up
They don't seem to care -- but how difficult could it be to program this??
Lives could be saved. hard to understand
Mapoli
Jogger
Thank you for your support on this topic.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
krish_sm
Jogger

6000+ votes, 1000 + comments, 2+ years....

I think it might be better to let the community know some concrete timelines instead of the vague status since we all have invested in your products..

thanks.

Master10
Recovery Runner

the world should know about the management of fitbit company 

and how they care their users

i dont recommend to new users to buy fitbit 😞

the tech is stuck behind the competitors 

AltBegrunna
Jogger
Perhaps someone will listen when google bought fitbit, otherwise i would
not hold my breath
--
Solidariske hilsener
Rune k. Bugten
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fitbit doesn't suck, but, it is weird that Fitbit is selling out to Google. I don't like it.

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
Services and responses and fixes might improve.

Sent from my iPhone
AltBegrunna
Jogger
I did not say they suck, but they have been keeping this post alive for
over two years, as they have put it under consideration. Perhaps is the
known program solution trademarked, or themselves think its a bad idea, but
is definetly BAD communication and definetly not Scrum.

I’am hoping google as owners see this feature in another light, otherwise
ill choose pulse or garmin the nxt time. Fitbit is not that special either.
--
Solidariske hilsener
Rune k. Bugten
GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
Garmin isn’t that special either. It’s not accurate compared to the Fitbit and sometimes syncing is a problem for days.

But as far as heart rate measuring - it can be very poor. I’m 64 and mine has recorded me with a 200bpm on a run. I’d be dead. I have a monitored pacemaker so I know that rate was very wrong. I’ve had ECGs wearing the fitbit and the garmin. The BPM on the fitbit is always closest to the mark. The Garmin can be radically way off which isn’t helpful if you’re trying to keep your heart rate to a set maximum.
Nicola_grec
Tempo Runner

I’m not whit that, 

I have the forerunner 245 , and heartrate is very acurate ,

I don’t know wich is more acurate, Garmin or fitbit .

JRxxx
Stepping Up

A chest heart rate monitor with a watch is the best When you do a workout. I was switched to Garmin because there was no reaction on this topic. I only make use from the step competition between friends and familie. 

Nicola_grec
Tempo Runner

I don’t like to push button when starting a workout , or running.

thats why I like fitbit more , just do a walk or run , and it knows what I doe .

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fitbit just needs to put this under, 'Not currently planned' just so people won't be so mad about it. I know that won't help, but still.

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
When directly compared with an ECG it’s the fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

exactly!

Nicola_grec
Tempo Runner

Fitbit has good heart rate monitor, but, like other brands, it’s not flawless.

somtimes it measures to high or to low . 
but for continuous heartrate I think it’s 80% acurate . 
Fitbit is a good purchase .

i have other brands , and the fitbit is best for activity tracking, and sleep tracking .

sleep tracking for sure it’s the best , there is no competition to fitbit when it comes to sleep tracking , 

I say go for it . I have versa2 , it’s very good . 

spainm
Stepping Up

My cardiologist says Fit Bit is good -- but generally add 10 to whatever # you are getting?? I haven't researched this..

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
I think the sleep tracker is the least accurate component of the fitbit. The heart rate monitor next to an ECG machine is pretty close compared to the Garmin (which I also wear). I just wish fitbit could have a heart rate alert and they would stop changing things. Now I dont get a distance with my exercise tracker. It’s not much use knowing my heart rate, calories burned and time taken if I can’t compare those parameters with a distance travelled.

Sent from my iPhone
Evajogirl
Jogger

There is actually a watch face on the versa and ionic called "Eva" that does this.

lallen1940
Jogger

Please make a notification on heart rates.  Allow us to set notifications on a rate that is high such as 160 and a rate that is low such as 60 so the device will tell us.  OR Allow notifications to alert us when our heart rate changes zones during exercises or other medical situations.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @lallen1940, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having heart rate alerts. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

dwights
Jogger

it's surprising that this feature hasn't been implemented.  considering a) we know it has a vibration module, it alerts for other alarms,  b) we know it has a heart rate sensor, because obvious, c) 6300+ people in this thread alone, have said they'd like to have this feature, and d) it was originally requested in this thread in December 2014?  6+ years ago? Even marking it as "under consideration" in 2017, that's still 3 years for what (to me?) seems like an obviously useful and desired feature.  

I was looking at the charge4 today as a possible replacement for my charge2.  Adding a GPS tracker is a very nice addition, but i normally have my phone with me anyway, so use that for tracking. The GPS sensor even reduces the battery life to 4-5 hours from 7 days (which is fine, considering what it's being used for), but not adding a heart rate alarm?  The addition of a heart rate alarm would have made me give this more serious consideration, but for now, I will probably stick with my charge 2.

Such a long delay, makes me think that this is likely to be a health/government regulations/liability issue, rather than a technical one.  Assuming that might be the case, that's too bad, honestly. 

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
It isn’t a government/regulation issue if Garmin can have it.

There’s no will to include a heart rate alert by Fitbit. That’s it – no other explanation would be feasible after this length of time. We’re beating our heads against a brick wall by bothering to pursue this quest. I’ve given up and now use a Garmin.
dwights
Jogger

hey @GeorgieSnow  .... In another thread (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Heart-rate-alarm/m-p/4164829#M125424) on this same topic, @SteveH  mentioned that he saw in the press release:

"Get real-time alerts on your wrist each time you change zones so you can push harder or scale back to make your workouts more efficient."

from: https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Fitbit-Introduces-Fitbit...

so maybe it -will- be on the charge4?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.