Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
CarlosHC
Keeping Pace

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I thought this was a Charge 3 board and the people suggesting this feature were hoping it would be as an update for the Charge 3 that they had already bought and paid for - not as a feature on a new watch. 

That being the case, why should we be happy?

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
That’s a very valid question. I was asking about a Charge 2 originally.
Fred.h
First Steps
I have the Inspire HR. It has, in the settings, a place to record what I want for the Low Heart Rate and the High Heart Rate. I would just like it to alert me when my heart rate goes over the high. if I can set that, I would really appreciate it. if it will not do this, if you have a device that does this already, please let me know.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Fred.h, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see heart rate zones alert feature. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

Master10
Recovery Runner

Hi @YojanaFitbit 

I can't find this feature in my charge 3

And I see that it was released 

Can you tell me when should I get this feature ?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice feature request 

Mikefe
Jogger
The fitbits already track heart rates in real time. We can set our custom HR zones. We can check HR at any time. I believe it would be easy to be able to set a predesignated custom HR, where the fitbit would tone through the app/Bluetooth device. Or vibrate or flash the screen on the device itself.
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Mikefe, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having heart zone alerts, this feature suggestion already exists and it was released on Charge 4, so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

Loulou20
Jogger

I see this is released but i cannot understand how you set it. Any help? 

Annelii
Jogger
Its for the fitbit charge 4

-Anneli
clayton1964
Jogger

I just got my Ionic and one of the first things I thought of was exactly this kind of feature. I have cardiovascular conditions that prevent me from exercising too intensely.

Here's the bonus, I am also a software developer and have started working on this kind of app.  I will try and keep everyone updated about my progress.

Mapoli
Jogger
Good luck.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
Baldrunningman
Recovery Runner
Hiya Clayton1964.
As you can see I posted this message/request October 2017, and I and many other Ionic wearers have been waiting for Fitbit/Google to add this to the software on one of the download updates. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it can’t be done, but then I am not a software developer, I am only a runner who purchased this product.
I think that when this Ionic dies, I will cross over to Garmin. I have a second hand one that I use as my running watch, the Ionic is my all day and night watch.
Best of luck with the software development.
Regards
Baldman

Sent from my iPhone
clayton1964
Jogger

Thanks guys!

Yes I saw the date on the suggestion. 

So far things are going good on this end for the development.  Hoping to have a test version out soon.  Initial version will not have too many bells and whistles, just necessary stuff.  Cosmetics will come later.

chickira
First Steps
Except this thread is the culmination of over 6 years of requests from customers from multiple types of products. Never mind the competition has eclipsed this capability and is CHEAPER for the enhanced capabilities. Left FitBit quite a while ago because they dont care what customers want, they tell them to buy the new version which STILL does not have the requested features.

⁣Get TypeApp for Android ​
JesseZ
Jogger

I have Charge 2. In the heart rate zones setting, it says "If you set a custom zone, you won't get on-wrist heart zone notifications during exercise.", what if I don't set a custom zone, I still don't get alerts. Fitbit, please consider adding the on-wrist HR alert feature to Charge 2!

JonErrington
Jogger

What i'd love to understand is how the request went from having the option of configurable heart rate zones for people, to notify them of when they hit the zone to an actual implementation of the removal of Active minutes for everyone else out there who is not looking to hit the gym everyday?!

The initial request asked for an ability to be notified when hitting the zone, instead, you release a feature that scores 0 minutes for below Fat Burn, exercise, 1 minute per minute for fat burn exercise and 2 minutes for cardio level? In what universe do you have to live in to think that meets the criteria of the request? How can you be so happy to report you've released AZM to the world despite it not meeting the request originally made?

First, it's not minutes, it's a pointless score that any self respecting athlete should be insulted by! If you do half an hour exercise, at any level, you should get 30 minutes of exercise recorded. Not 60! Why are you creating fictional statistics?

Secondly, there are many, many of us out there who use this device as a tool to stay active, but not to become new athletes! You've just killed that for every single one of us. Way to go development team!

Here's a really big piece of advice, you can apply it to every single suggestion made here or anywhere else: OPTIONS!!!!!! Make it an option for people, to enable and disable. Every single feature you release is just deployed to users and who gives a crap if they want it or not! Some will, good for them! Some won't, guess we don't count!

Quite frankly, and i hope this resonates with someone at Fitbit, ever customer who liked Active Minutes and has now had it removed by the pointless AZM feature should be entitled to a 100% refund on the grounds that the device we purchased has been converted into a device that we don't want. I will not buy another fitbit whilst the basic function of tracking active minutes becomes some hidden option that i have to decode.

Lets make it even simpler as the developers and people who make decisions at fitbit seem to have a problem understanding that paying customers should be respected: I don't want this feature looked at and some half arsed measure introduce in several months or more, nor do i want a hybrid version deployed, i want my watch back as it was with active minutes on the main display, along with the app display too, and for any feature to be added as an optional extra to enable at the explicit desire of the user.

KFK15
Jogger

I know it says this feature has been released, but I don't think it has. Reading the suggestion we should be able to set the alert ourselves. So, for example, I want an alert when running for 139-142 so I can ensure I am running in the slow pace. But I can't do that, right? or can I and I don't know how to?

kingtut1975
Recovery Runner

Thanks.  I am very pleased to have contributed to the Fitbit platform. Its an honor.  Great Platform, Great app!

Bvv9
First Steps

This would be a very helpful feature, and even better if you could customize the alerts. I have a health condition where I shouldn’t let my heart rate go above a certain threshold, so being able to set the alerts automatically for HR zones or manually for custom thresholds would be very helpful. 

spainm
Stepping Up

Get some new developers - I'm sure there are qualified ones out there. I work with software -- It is only software -- You can make it do what you want, if you only had a developer with skills.  This request has been up for a VERY LONG TIME. It is an important health feature. Mindfulness - I suppose a nice addition to some -- but Heart Rate will save lives. IMHO

TaniaRyl
Strider
when fixing a failure in the work of the heart, it is recommended to consult a doctor
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TaniaRyl, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about getting health recommendation while tracking changes on heart rate. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Existing Feature". I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.