Include 2-years Premium trial for new Fitbit purchase

Suppose the recommended lifespan of a fitbit is 2 years (or 18 months or 3 years)
This may be because you hope people will upgrade to a new improved model
Include premium for those 2 years
Then you provide an inducement for upgrading, without annoying your customers by putting features behind a paywall

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
13 Comments
Status changed to: Needs More Info
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ItsMikeE. Thank you for sharing your Feature Suggestion with the Fitbit Community. We aren't sure what you mean by having Premium for recommended lifespan of device and we'd like to understand this idea better. Please reply with more detail or specifics on how this idea would work. We'd look forward to your response.

ItsMikeE
Recovery Runner

Many people change their mobile phones every 2 years

A combination of battery life decreasing and needing new technology features

What does fitbit consider a reasonable lifespan of a smartwatch/tracker?

How often can they reasonably expect people to update their hardware?

My initial guess is that a 2-yearly upgrade cycle is reasonable

So if Fitbit sold their smartwatches/trackers with 2 years of premium included, then that would enable users to get the best out of their hardware, and provide an incentive to replace after the 2 years is up

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ItsMikeE, and thanks for clarifying this suggestion about having 2 years of Premium when purchasing a new Fitbit device. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Rinopopo
Runner

That premium strategy weakens Fitbit as a brand. If you sum the price of the sense + 24 months of premium for that 2 years lifespan, The full Fitbit sense experience costs $490. For that price, you can buy a Samsung watch 3 without the need of paying any extra to get the data that the device you paid is getting. Anyway, you can use the sense without some of the features you are paying when you buy the watch.

Fitbit, please, the premium should be only for guided exercises or features that add some extra value, not for "making your product work as it should". 

At least, as @ItsMikeE said, you should give free premium for the expected lifespan of the product (2 years).

Stormysue413
First Steps

As @ItsMikeE said, you should give free premium for the expected lifespan of the product (2 years). I am in total agreement with this.

Ed7x
Jogger

There is a lot more competition in this space now. Good idea.

rfjouben
Strider

I would be happy with a year but two is better especially since some key features are only available in premium. An alternative would be move some of the heath data out of the premium only access which I also saw a post for

Stormysue413
First Steps

You should give free premium for the expected lifespan of the product (2 years). I am in total agreement with this.

askmrhp
Runner

Some heath insurance companies are offering premium free for signing up.

ItsMikeE
Recovery Runner

Too late

I have jumped ship to Garmin

Fitbit lost me with:-

1) Premium - to hide features behind paywall

2) Sense - poor reviews and clumsy implementation of SP02

3) Design fault on Aria causing it to fail, and support told me to buy Aria 2

I won't be back

HSS79
Strider

Fitbit user should be paid to use premium, the data user generate with the watch on their arm 24 hrs a day is worth alot to these businesses.

Ms_Canuck
Jogger
I would like to make a suggestion that longer trial periods be given based on the amount spent on products or that equal trial periods for products be offered rather than allow someone who spends less to get a trial period for longer.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ms_Canuck, thanks for explaining why you would like to receive 2-years Premium trial for new Fitbit purchases. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.