Kayak app on Versa series

Is there any plans to create a kayak app on the New Ionic. It would be great to record paddle strokes as well as your heart rate and GPS route. I have had a surge for a while now but not being able to use it for my sport is a bit of a downside that has made me consider other watches. But with the ionic being useable on the water is a game changer for me. Please think about it. Not everyone's gym is indoors. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

99 Comments
lfashland
First Steps

Adding my vote for a kayak/paddle app. Give me stats & make it count!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi just bought a versa because I too saw the kayaking app on the developer site and am severely disappointed. I choose fitbit for that reason. I see the maxim app but it says that it cannot be downloaded to my versa. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why that is? I see some other comments saying that it was able to be downloaded. Thanks! 

Disksuite
Jogger
I am not sure it is ready for prime time. You must have a blue tooth GPS
for GPS mode, or use as just walking...gPS mode reports as an aerobic
workout.

To download, go to app on phone, select Fitbit app, go to the apps in the
Fitbit app and select kayak, next sync it will be there. Note, due to
shortcomings in the Fitbit Dev tools, milage is not recorded. The GPS mode
does save s good map

Gene Loriot
Cgbabic
First Steps

I would like to see a new exercise shortcut for the Ionic... either kayaking or canoeing.

thanks

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Cgbabic, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on your Ionic. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

EPope
Jogger

I regularly use my kayak an would like to be able to track the trip using the same feature as the hike, walk, run map to track the distance and calories burned. 

Come to think of it, you should add cycle to that feature too. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @EPope! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Morri
First Steps

How about a choice under exercise for distance and time spent on kayaking or rowing.  Had it on my last fitness watch and would appreciate it on my Versa 2.  Thank you.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Morri, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Codyman
Jogger
Thanks for supporting this.
Joe_Fox
First Steps

I’m a kayaker and cyclist and I got a Fitbit charge 3 because I mistaken thought it would cover both. I can’t believe there’s no paddling exercise option that tracks pace, heart rate and gps. Fitbit has got to add this. I’m thinking of returning it and going with an Apple Watch that would more than cover those two exercises. 

Morri
First Steps
I put the Strava App on my phone and connected it to my Fitbit. I haven't used it for kayaking or biking yet but tested it on a walk, no problems.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
alicat88
Recovery Runner

@Morri I downloaded that too but if I remember correctly you either had to pay for the app on your Firbit or pay for the app service.  If I'm wrong please let me know because I'll give it a second chance.  It's been a year since I looked into it.  Also, was this on a versa, versa2 or ionic?

Morri
First Steps
I have a versa 2 and I didn't pay anything

Leegarcia
First Steps

Please add paddle surf as an activity on versa 2, this should be easy to implement...

Thanks you!

danmaui2020
First Steps

Please include for charge 3 also!!!

Status changed to: Third-Party App
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Spud01  and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re excited to let you know that this Feature Suggestion has been developed by a third party developer, and can be downloaded from the Fitbit App Gallery available on Fitbit Smartwatches. You’ll find the Fitbit App Gallery by selecting your connected Smartwatch in the mobile app, choosing the ‘Apps’ tile and toggling to ‘All Apps’ at the top of the screen. You can then search third party apps by category and choose your favorite of the relevant options available. Happy exploring!

Please note that if you have feedback for the third party app, you can contact the developer directly by opening their app in the Fitbit App Gallery, finding their contact details under ‘app details’ or ‘clock face details’. Thanks.

Disksuite
Jogger

???  New third party app for kayaking???   All I find today (14 May 2020) is the same one by Maxim, that had issues in the past.  Is there a new release?  

P.S.  the Maxim app developer is a wonderful, responsive, and fair person.  Although the app only cost $2.00, he was very willing to refund when it didn't work (due to a FitBit bug).   AND when you get a new watch, or reload your old one, the fact you paid carries over, so you do not have to pay again.   really good guy.

ssass21
First Steps

What Fitbit should do at least is to let Maxim apps to record kayaking and SUP as they are, not as running. As I sync activities with fitness apps, I always have to manually change in apps. And I can't even correct it on fitbit app, which is very annoying.

Maxim has done what he could, now please don't drop the ball and make Fitbit really usable

Joe_Fox
First Steps
I returned my Fitbit, got an Apple Watch and couldn’t be happier with the kayak support there. It has a paddling exercise included, but you can also get Paddle Logger (free) that works in tandem with the built in exercise app to track even more.
GSIM
First Steps

Please make a kayaking option for the charge 4. Needs to track distance, pulse, time and average speed, much the same features as the running app. GPS is key to be able to measure distance on the water.

Morri
First Steps
There is a kayak app for Fitbit Versa, that works pretty well. It is Kayak by Maxim and costs $2. Look under apps on your fitbit dashboard to find it.

I tried the Strava app for kayaking and how wrong it was was almost funny, said I went 14 miles at 8.3 mph, very wrong!

GSIM
First Steps
Thanks, I found it but this app is unfortunately not compatible with my
Charge 4. Looks like I'll need to log my paddling sessions as running 😞
brr00ke
First Steps

And paddle boarding!

EPope
Jogger
I didn't know that.  Thanks, I'll check it out. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.