Kayak app on Versa series

Is there any plans to create a kayak app on the New Ionic. It would be great to record paddle strokes as well as your heart rate and GPS route. I have had a surge for a while now but not being able to use it for my sport is a bit of a downside that has made me consider other watches. But with the ionic being useable on the water is a game changer for me. Please think about it. Not everyone's gym is indoors. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

99 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Has there been any updates on the Fitbit Ionic getting the kayaking exercise setting?  Would love to see it on there, 

Rdwwdr
Recovery Runner

+1 for kayak/paddle, but not holding my breath since initial requested in 2017.

And what's up with the odd terms? I guess it is pointless to suggest things? Weird. Oh, I forgot... lawyers.

"neither Fitbit, nor any of its employees, may accept or consider any unsolicited suggestions, including ideas for new or improved products or services"

Shrink10
First Steps

Agree, need apt to track kayaking

The best so far I noted is the biking as it uses gps. The hiking and walking think I'm still and doesn't record moving.

Bam50
Jogger

Yes please a way to track kayak/paddle on Versa2

alyciaaas
First Steps

There is a HUGE community of people who's only or main exercise is paddle sports, this feature needs to be added soon before we all give up or buy other watches that can do it 

Morri
First Steps
I gave up and bought a Garmin!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Codyman
Jogger
Numerous comments have been made ref. this. I am surprised it is not available yet. Thanks for chumming in.

Sandy Smith
Ringsman
First Steps
Not intending to be subversive, this absence of a paddle sports or rowing
sports app is glaring in the Apple Watch universe as well! (Apple has a
paddling/rowing apps without GPS tracking which assumes stationary rowing!)
R
Codyman
Jogger
I did not know that. Maybe it is just too difficult to do. Thanks for the reply.

Sandy Smith
arvitavast
First Steps

Doesn't need to be anything kayaking-specific. Run, walk or hike would do, if only they could ignore whether the gps data points to land or water.

bigE_Ric
First Steps

Can you at least make the walk app track my kayaking?  Using Versa 3 and the GPS is tracking the paddle but the distance is never right.  Its always much shorter than was actually done.  When i look at the map, the GPS route is correct though.

KRB85
First Steps

WHERE IS THIS??? WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN CREATED IN THE 4 YEARS SINcE THIS THREAD BEGAN?!?!

Rdwwdr
Recovery Runner

@bigE_Ric try run mode. It gives me proper distance on my Sense. Just noticed it also gave me a bunch of steps during my paddle that maybe correspond to strokes. I don't think it did last time I tried. 

Here is an example as reported through Strava (better share than Fitbit) https://strava.app.link/UXnsZPLr1hb

I hoping someone at Google (Fitbit's new overlord) is a paddler and will correct this oversight. 

Paddling is arm work. The watch is on the arm. How hard can it be Fitbit? Put an intern on it!

Stevecoach
First Steps

Considering buying a Versa 3 or Sense but my main 3 season activity is kayaking. I guess the solution is to buy Garmin.

MarraA
Jogger

I too would like to track my kayak paddles. I have a Versa 3

Bobkeating
First Steps

I have a Versa 2. I use the running category for kayaking. That way, you get GPS of your travel and calories based on heart rate. Looks like you're walking on water, though...

Thesurfer26
Jogger

May 2022 and still no app for paddling? 

Disksuite
Jogger
Yea, it's like no one loves us!?

Gene Loriot
Rdwwdr
Recovery Runner

FYI, there is a third party kayak app or two. I haven't tried them. I'm just against paying for something that should be included (even if only 99 cents).

Disksuite
Jogger
Agreed... I did a number of years try one, it really didn't work due to
supposed limitations of the FitBit software. they did offer to refund, so
all was good.

--
...On a Clear Disc You Can Seek Forever...

Gene Loriot
Boothby171
Recovery Runner

No kayaking or paddling app available, either directly or through third parties, for the Charge 5.

Fitbit is not a very responsive company. People have been asking for over 4 or 5 years!

ckborchardt
Jogger
Tried for a kayaking app for years now changed to Garmin fenix for that reason

Chris Borchardt 🙂
Boothby171
Recovery Runner

I just went kayaking this afternoon.  I used the "Hike" function--it didn't work so well.  Out of the 2 hours I spend paddling, it thought I was only walking for 43 minutes.  It logged about 1.3 miles for a route I know to be far closer to 3 miles (maybe a little over).

Next time I try "Biking."  I also plan on running Strava--at least THEY have kayaking as a choice.

It's too bad, really.  I like almost everything else about the Charge 5.  Well, it needs to know that if I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I was actually SLEEPING from midnight to 2:30 am!  But I digress...

Jerichorose34
First Steps

I would love to see this as an option for the Sense too.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.