Keep clock face/device screen on for longer

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

270 Comments
HKKG
First Steps

Completely agree. thee should be the feature to show HR continuously. And the HR readings while exercising are very very inaccurate.

TamaraG
Stepping Up
I need the clock face to be on for atleast one minute to take vitals, and I hate having to wear two watches to work because of this. There should be a feature to either customize how long the face stays on, or lock the screen on yourself. I would gladly take needing to charge my Fitbit more often in exchange for this feature. With so many people asking for such a simple change, that would make a huge difference, I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.
eliotlovell
Jogger

Definitely vote for this - want to easily see or be notificied HR zone info when I'm, for example, on the rowing machine. 

The vibration alerts, as requested elsewhere, would also be great.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Heart rate should be able to stay on when exercise mode is turned on. I thought this would be like my heart rate monitor with a chest strap and continuous display.
LewisB
First Steps
Just purchased a Surge today. Love it, but the only negative I have is that the Heart Rate cannot be displayed with the clock. would love to maybe see an update in the near future with this option. Thanks
matt9013
Sprinter

The Blaze allows this so maybe it's possible for them to add it to the Surge through a firmware update.

meorime
First Steps

Hi!  I just bought a Charge HR and would also like to stop wearing my watch.  The catch:  I'm an RN.  When I'm doing an assessment, I need a "second hand" when I'm counting respirations or heartbeats.  I have the display set to show seconds BUT it fades out in a few seconds.  I need to the display to have an option where I can make it pervasive, perhaps with a toggle?  Or a setting that says, "leave clock on while wrist tilted"?  I love that it lights up when I tilt my wrist, just need it to stay put until I'm done.

buffs2006
First Steps

I'm with everyone else. Please add this feature even at the expense of battery life or I'll likely switch back to a watch.

pasojack
First Steps
I also would want to see my heart rate on the time face at all times. I also want to have my heart rate to be the center display on all exercise, run screens. I don't care about time while running; what I want to see is heart rate, pace and distance. Please allow full screen control to the Surge. Thank you...
pasojack
First Steps
I just bought the Surge last week. I've had several gamin running watches but dislike the chest strap. Can anyone tell me how Fitbit is at making software changes to their products? I know some only correct software problems and don't worry about inhancements.

Sent from Jack's Samsung tablet
LPB15
First Steps

Agree with all the sentiments above.  I purchased a Fitbit over other brands because it displays seconds.  I'm a physician and planned to use this to help take vital signs.  Unfortunately I was not aware that the clock face disappears in seconds, making that feature useless.  Considering returning it.  Please make it a permanent option or at least allow you to freeze on a particular setting for a period of time.

ckremersrn
First Steps

I think it would be great if users could have the option to have the screen on for 15 sec, 30 sec, 90 sec, 5 min, or continous. I use this as my watch as a nurse. I need my screen to be on for 30-60 seconds on average. If this was an option, then the battery wouldn't drain as quickly as a continous option.

ckata
First Steps

I would love to see this feature enabled on the Blaze!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @kjs778 and commenters, thanks for your suggestion.

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about https://www.fitbit.com/ionic

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

In terms of your original suggestion, you can cast your vote or add comments to this similar request: Allow time display to stay on.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and feedback with us.

vitalyk
Recovery Runner

@horse482 I have a suggestion that you could use as a workaround. Try using "Chronograph" clock face. It overrides the bottom right button to run a stopwatch and it keeps the display on while it's running. It also keeps showing current time while the stop watch is running. Once the stop and clear the stopwatch, it goes back to normal time display and display auto shut off.

ARCwell86
Jogger

I work in EMS and need to check vitals, typically for 30 seconds to a minute at a time. However, the backlight delay only stays on for up to 20 seconds. It would be great to have the option to keep the backlight on for a longer period.

I know others have made this suggestion, but either the posts are down, there's a glitch, or just user error, I can't view the posts for potential solutions.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

Workinhard
First Steps

I really think that an option to keep the Ionic display turned on is very important, especially when you are timing workouts that last more than several minutes. Obviously, this option should not be used all the time because battery life would become an issue. But, just like how the Screen Wake can be set to "manual" or "auto", if the Backlight Delay could be set to "on" or "off", that would be outstanding.

Many thanks, great product.

paulkinzelman
Base Runner

Maybe if you tap the screen with the screen lit, it'd stay lit until you tapped it again?

ARCwell86
Jogger

@paulkinzelman,

in order to tap the watch I'd have to take my fingers off of the patients pulse, and It's not usually practical for me to feel the pulse with my watch hand. Plus, I'm always wearing gloves when in contact with patients.

paulkinzelman
Base Runner

Go ahead, rain on my parade. 🙂

How about if you flick your wrist twice (once to turn it on, a second time to lock it on) before you start taking the pulse? Then after you're done, flick again to turn it back to off and reactivate the auto-on mode.

ARCwell86
Jogger

@paulkinzelman, I just gave that a try and it's not working for me, it's not even staying on in manual mode... 😕 Hopefully they can just add 10 more seconds to the backlight. Lol

paulkinzelman
Base Runner

Sorry, I meant my idea as a suggestion to the developers, not that it actually works that way now. I realize it doesn't, but if they implemented my suggestion, that would probably solve your problem. That was the point of my post, for the developers.

Or you could just take your Fitbit off yourself and put it on your patient. 🙂

ARCwell86
Jogger

@paulkinzelman, sorry, I misread. Lol

Workinhard
First Steps
That is an alternative. But if you have both hands occupied (like with a
bench press), it is hard to tap the screen.

So if an option to keep the screen li where available, the issue would be
resolved.

Thanks
Michael.
blu-steel
Tempo Runner

I agree I want to be able to go a minute or more. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.