Keep clock face/device screen on for longer

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

270 Comments
NurseCristine
Jogger

I'm a student nurse and many, many nurses and healthcare providers are planning to ditch apple watch for VERSA... I bought mine this morning. I'm very disappointed that the backlight delay is only 20 seconds. To take a proper pulse on a patient, the second hand should be watched for at least 30 seconds for a wrist and 60 seconds listening to the heart directly. 20 seconds won't work. If this can't be fixed, I'll have to return the watch I was assured would work and I've been waiting for... otherwise I love it so far... but this has to be fixed. 

My wishlist:

An "always on option" for a period of time.... ie: "always on for the next 1/2/8/10/12 hours" then back to "5, 10, 20, 40, 70, 100 second options"

or

5, 10, 20, 40, 70, 100 second options. Because to take a pulse for 30 or 60 seconds it sometimes takes a few seconds to find it. 

I am quite disappointed. I was planning to sell my Apple watch and switch to Versa. Because of this, I'm potentially wearing 2 watches to work on Wednesday... I'm sure you understand how ridiculous it is that a $200 watch can't help me take a patient's pulse.

Feel free to contact me directly to discuss. 

Pontiac-dude
Jogger

I've owned a lot of different smart watches and all of them have an option for an always on display.  I just bought the Versa yesterday and assumed it had this option too.  Most watches have the option of always on using a very low backlight just to see time and date.  It may reduce battery life by 50%, but that a users choice.  Love the size and feel of the Versa.

Sean.Munoz
First Steps

@horse482 wrote:

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time. 

I agree! 

jayprice414
First Steps

It would be nice if Fitbit would provide a always on default low wattage clock that could be on display. This would be a no frills time that could even be dim to reduce battery use. This would stop the nagging need move, tap, button tap, shake arm every time I want to glance at what time it is. In fact it would probably save my batter over the day. I would need my full brightness, full function watch face much less often. I believe I am with a majority of users that want just the time 90% of the day, and fully enjoy the other features the other 10% of the time. A simple (12:47pm) on my watch face all the time would be a amazing joy if it could be provided. 

thanks for listening,

Jay

chugalug
Base Runner

Loving my Versa so far, but one thing I have noticed is how unreliable the auto-wake screen feature can be. It often takes me multiple attempts of motioning to look at my wrist before the Versa's display will light (I have the correct wrist selected in settings, so that isn't the issue). The auto-wake feature performs even worse when you aren't in an upright position. Because of this, I have struggled to turn off my alarm the past two mornings waking up in bed. I realize that it would be a difficult fix to account for multiple body orientations with the auto-wake screen feature, but I really think that the screen should wake automatically (and remain lit) when an alarm goes off.

JenniferHales
Jogger

I purchased a fitbit alta HR today and the screen doesn't stay on long enough for me to check the time - be default it appears to be 3 seconds. I end up tapping it over and over.

I was also hoping to wear this to the gym, and for some of my exercises I'm supposed to wait 20 seconds but as the watch won't stay on I probably can't wear this at the gym for this purpose. 😞

teddigrace
Jogger

I love all of my Fitbit products I have used, one thing I find disappointing is the watch doesnt stay on for longer than a minute or even all the time. Being a nurse I have to count patients respirations and heart rate for a full minute unfortunately I can’t do that with any of the products so on top of wearing the tracker I have to wear a regular watch as well when I would prefer to just wear my Fitbit. 

CapnMerka
First Steps

With so much information available on the different watch faces, it would be nice if you could increase the viewing time before the screen automatically turns off again. 

NurseCristine
Jogger
I have to wear another watch with patients - how sad
eliebellie
First Steps

KateM15, the apple watch’s notifications are worse, in my opinion. At least that’s how it was when I purchased one last summer. they do the same thing fitbit does, it’ll only diplay when you bring the watch up to your face. BUT, the big difference is that it won’t notify you on your phone at the same time. I guess apple figures that if you’re wearing the watch then you don’t need the notifications on your phone. When I contacted apple last summer there was no way to fix that so I returned it. 

NurseCristine
Jogger
I did the opposite - versa in my opinion is so much easier and clearer.
Just need it to stay lit when I want it to! 🙂
juvegan
First Steps

I want to have visible clock all the time without having to move my wrist. I know that would require often charging but that doesn't bother me. I know other people want such option too. Other products have it.

OnlyRunning
Base Runner

This is a great idea, but when its on battery would not be wasted

NurseCristine
Jogger
It could be set for periods of time. Like if I’m working an 8 hour shift -
start at 7 and off at 3.

It would still be better battery than my Apple Watch was!
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I've never seen a screen of an apple watch. they are always off. 

Some have reported that leaving the screen of the ionic on gets them less than 10 hours. 

Lastchance618
Keeping Pace
My pebble always had a dim clock face and battery life 5 days or more. My thought was if this can’t be fixed one way maybe a new clock face which draws or is dimmed and then wakes up would deliver a longer than 10 hour battery life. Currently the stay on clock faces draw at full power so it’s no wonder the battery life is substantially shorter.

Sent from my iPhone
Workinhard
First Steps
One way to solve the problem without reducing battery life would be to have
a setting similar to the "Backlight Delay". When you need to have the clock
face on so you can see the seconds for timing (like when exercising or
monitoring patients, etc.) you could set the clock face setting to always
on. The when you are done monitoring, change the setting back.

Seems like a simple solution.
NurseCristine
Jogger
You would think - but Fitbit doesn’t seem interested in helping us out /
I’m having to wear a second pin on watch / so disappointed
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Workinhard this is exactly what Fitbit has done with the Chronograph watch on the Blaze, Ionic, and Versa. Which was designed to address the con earns of the medical community .

teddigrace
Jogger
So you can keep the watch face up for a whole minute?

Get Outlook for iOS
NurseCristine
Jogger
I have Versa
teddigrace
Jogger
So with the new Fitbit Versa the clock can stay up for a whole minute if you set it like that?

Get Outlook for iOS
Bedford
First Steps

Just upgraded from the Surge and was disappointed the heart rate would not stay on during the workout session.   This is a step backwards in convience.  Elected against the Versa because it has no GPS.   Please look and see how people use their Fitbit and provide an update.

TomVal
Jogger

My eyes aren't good and it takes me a longer time to read things on Ionic display. 20 secs as a maximum time is not long enough for me, I used 30 seconds timeout on my previous wearables.

Ravens2324
First Steps

Please consider changing the screen/clock duration time option.

Thank you!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.