Live Elevation Data (including changes during run/walk) on Fitbit device

The Surge has this super-fancy barometric altimeter, as well as GPS. This feature is only available on the most top-end navigation devices, yet we don't have access to elevation data. Let's see it!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

134 Comments
lscalgk
Recovery Runner

I agree, I think it would be great to be able to have an altimiter display when in hiking mode.

Hase82
Recovery Runner
Hi,
I read that charge Hr alreads inside a pressure sensor used for countig floors.
So i would be easy to use it for showing also sea level altitude in meters/feet and also hiked meters/feet and altitudemeters/hour.
So with same hardware it gets a perferct tracker for outdoor activities also.

Greets from Southtyrolean Mountains
MaRaNtZ
Tempo Runner

Do the device has a barometer inside ?? Well... SHOW A PANEL WITH CURRENT ALTITUDE.

I know that zone by zone the sea level pressure may vary, but on internet there are a lot of services to download the QNH (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNH), that means a standard way to setup barometers with the sea level pressure. Example... qnh 1016 (in this area) --> the barometer will setup to show correct altitude informations. Also GPS altitude should be handy to know. Portal and mobile device, at sync, can obtain accurate public QNH informations from the net using METAR's aviation data (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/METAR).

icanon
First Steps

YES! Please add this feature. It should be one of the screens you swipe between.

KA1000
First Steps

I, too, would like the option to see my current elevation above sea level - even while I'm sitting in my living room drinking a beer.

Catsalois
Jogger
Add an elevation overlay to the running maps.
Al3eRtO
Recovery Runner

Please Update!

I90hiker
Stepping Up

I agree - should be a simple download to make this happen. 

bnb
Recovery Runner

Please show altitude during hiking mode.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That would be a very cool feature to have available on the trackers. Thank you for sharing it with us.

R3NA
Jogger

I use mine for trail running- and i dont see an elevation graph with my maps etc either??? Any help? 😞

jess3441
Jogger

I recieved a FitBit Surge for Christmas (in Canada) and took it out for my first hike yesterday, but I can't find where it displays elevation?

I had GPS turned on, and it was set to a hike. On my phone it displays the map of my hike, km splits, heart rate, calories burned, 'impact on my day' stats, but I read nothing regarding elevation.. does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

cjlbpartin
First Steps
When in hiking mode it would be cool to see the elevation on the surge. Thanks
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

This is a great idea to have more detailed information about your work out.

Thank you for participating in the forums Smiley Happy

Lk-hiker
First Steps

This would also be good on the Charge HR. It doesn't have GPS but it does do elevation. Would need to calibrate though. In exercise tracking you get the GPS from the phone, maybe that could be used.

haziebaby
Stepping Up

I agree, I love my Surge.. but to me this is a big feature that is missing, and I am surprissed there is not more votes for this. Working as a Ski Instructor or just waking in the mountains this would be incredibly usefull and then I would not have to carry my Suunto.

Oh and I would also want an activity called 'climbing' which records all your stats plus elevation climbed!

Turisas
Keeping Pace

yes in graph too it's a very important feature to give altitude data for runs and biking.. instead surge has got differential gps signal for altitude with barometric correction and it would be very appreciated. during normal use a barometric altitude will be sufficient but for sport time a differential measurement (as implemented by other sportwatch brands) is needed

AbhishekRanjan
First Steps

Hey Fitbit team,

When can we see the elevation profile of track while we are running

This is missing and very crucial for us.

Also the credence i.e. average steps per minute after run is not

getting displayed. Looking out for positive response.

Abhishek

jimgwilliam
First Steps

Please add elevations tracking.... perhaps overlayed or integrated with the pace chart?  RunKeeper and Nike Run app have this, and its the only thing fitbit app doesn't have that would make me consider using a third party app to still track my runs.  I don't want to run two apps at once (battery waste).  Please add altitude tracking for runs.  Only major thing missing from app, IMO. 

The web display of altitude is almost unusable.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I can only agree that this would be a very helpful feature. I would recommend the following:

Dashboard / Web App

- your activity dashboard already shows the height profile of the Track. Why not show the altidudes differences during the run as a separate field.

Surge:

- ability to switch between Floors and height meter in the settings

- show current altitude in Display

- show height meter since beginning of the excercise.

If you do that, there is no more need to carry additional devices like garmin oder suunto.

Please, address this issue as soon as possible!

KRNA22
First Steps

Please consider this for all devices with altimeter not just Surge.  I have blaze.  Hikers often use altitude for navigation so it would be super useful and far more functional than floors climbed. 

forestfine
First Steps

I use the Surge for triathlon training and events. However after a session it only shows the highest altitude gained from my starting point. I am interested in knowing the total altitude gained during the course of the exercise. On an up and down course (I live in the mountains) it would include all climbs and show total elevation gained. The data is there with the GPS, why not show it at the end of the workout. That way I do not have to carry a second device.

Jmfolds
First Steps
Please add ability to see current elevation as well as gain during exercise.
noirdesir
Base Runner

I'll add that using the Bluetooth connection to a smartphone, MSL (mean sea level) pressure from nearby weather stations can be used to automatically calibrate the altitude reading based on the baromater. Alternatively, a manual calibration by the user at waypoints with known altitude could be employed.

Mark81
Tempo Runner

If Fitbit declare that the Surge (product with GPS integrated) has Digital compass and Altimeter, I expect to see them on the display, at least during an hike. Please add them!

What's the current use for the digital compass?

Moderator edit: format.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.