Lock Touchscreen to Clockface

I'm finding over the course of the day and while sleeping my Surge's touchscreen becomes switched from the watch face to one of the other screens. It would be very helpful if there was an ability to hold down one of the physical buttons to lock the touchscreen on the watch face and repeat to unlock. This would prevent accidental navigation away from the watch face. Please consider adding this functionality in a future firmware update. Thank you.

Moderator Edit: 

The latest Surge firmware update added a function which reverts Surge to its clock screen after 15 seconds. Some users would prefer to continuously view another data tile, such as Steps, Heart Rate, or Distance. This is no longer possible for more than 15 seconds outside of starting an Exercise log.

This existing Feature Request represents a good solution to the issue, and I encourage anyone who might be interested in this new feature to vote or comment in this thread.

929 Comments
stephko
First Steps

Agreed. I am getting frustrated that in the middle of a run, my screen will change, and not end up logging my run. There needs to be an option to lock the screen.

Thanks for posting.

skston
Jogger

Add me to the list of people who are impatiently waiting for this feature.

ike251
First Steps

Perfect idea, exactly what I logged on to suggest.  I too find that that I accidentally push the watch buttons during the course of normal activity.  I agree that a series of button pushes should/could lock the screen.  Maybe it wouldn't apply though while in an "activity" mode, such as a run or hike.

bluenautilus2
Jogger

Yes! Please! Everytime I look at my Surge to see what time it is, it's on another screen. Another problem I have is that my 8-month-old baby twins like to play with it and try to use it. I would like to lock it so their random touchings don't get me in trouble and change the settings.

wwwmonkey
Stepping Up

Agreed.

Eg. Hold left button and top right to lock, or easily reached combination.

wwwmonkey
Stepping Up

Agreed, hold left and right top buttons to lock or some other combo.

JPOB
Jogger

Everyone I've spoken to with this product is of the opinion that it Needs this option - still no word from Fitbit..?? 

Status changed to: Under Consideration
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

ike251
First Steps
One more thing that I was considering in addition to a "lock screen" enhancement might be an option to specify/select a short or long press on the buttons to perform an action. While in a "Weights" mode I'll find that the movement of my hand will press the pause button so I'm always having to press the play button again. It might make for a slightly slower screen navigation but it's a thought.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

When lifting weights my glove keeps pressing the pause button.  Adding a "Keyguard" function should be simple.

Jacko1975
Jogger

I'm with everyone else.  I would like to be able to lock the screen.  I look at my surge now and i'm on "steps"...why am in Steps...I didn't touch it.

I look forward to a quick solution here.

Thanks guys.

handsomeguy
Base Runner

yes a lock screen would be great . im frustrated that the screen keeps changing even when i uses it for walking or everday office work . perhaps the watch needs to sit further away from the wrist . 

Rodshaz
Premium User
Jogger

Yes I agree that you need to be able to lock it onto a screen. Im always scrolling though the menu to find the time. Or heart rate if im out riding

Beetle58
First Steps

I totally concur with the above complaint and suggested "fix" which seems like a no-brainer marketable feature.

fotomaf
Keeping Pace

please!

Jacko1975
Jogger

I would like to be able to lock the screen on my surge.  I look at my surge now and i'm on "steps"...why am in Steps...I didn't touch it!.

I look forward to a quick solution here.

adrock318
First Steps

I'm proposing an idea to have the *option* to either lock the homescreen or have a user defined (5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec) timeout that brings you back to the clock which to me should be the "main" screen when not in excercise mode. This was when you inadvertently switch screens with your hand or clothes it will bring itself back to the default clock screen. I hate having to swipe through 5 screens just to see the time.

adrock318
First Steps

I'm proposing an idea to have the *option* to either lock the homescreen or have a user defined (5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec) timeout that brings you back to the clock (or whichever screen a user decides) when not in excercise mode. This was when you inadvertently switch screens with your hand or clothes it will bring itself back to the default clock screen. I hate having to swipe through 5 screens just to see the time.

pjrinal
First Steps

Agree - it would be helpful to have a way to lock the screen or, at least, have it revert to clockface from the none-exercise related informaiton screens.

carlito1979
Recovery Runner

This drives me nuts - especially since the battery seems to drain faster if the display ends up on heart rate tracking for example.

BigCheese
Recovery Runner

i would like to be able to lock the screen on HR or steps.... and not have it automatically revert back to the clockface   i dont intend to update to the new firmware until this is resolved.

JPOB
Jogger

Great news guys!! 

I was overseas recently, and when I returned, my Surge was having trouble syncing back to Australian time. It was having trouble syncing all together. So, I turned it off, hoping (I guess) it would reset and sort itself out. However... when I went to turn it back on, it would not start up again. At all. And yes, the battery was charged 😉 

This resulted in a store return, resulting in my watch was sent to the FitBit factory. Said store then received word from the FitBit factory and - wait for it - I have received a full store credit or refund!! 

Great success!! 

I will now be using my refund to go out and purchase a similar - but from all reports far superior - model of Garmin or Polar watch.

So the moral here is, if you are feeling underwhelmed (or even, downright frustrated, annoyed and disappointed) by your Surge, perhaps it is time your watch was struck with a 'mysterious malfunction' or other such malady... and send the Surge back from whence it came. 

Thanks 🙂

PS the store was a Rebel Sport. They're awesome with returns.

renton82
Runner

I vote for lock screen for every screen

johnnymillion
Jogger
Hey now! New update seems to go back to the clock face after about 15 seconds!
TBlazer07
Recovery Runner

I SIMPLY want to lock it to the clock screen when I am using it as a regular warch and not using it as a running watch (ie. while at work).  Having to wait 15 seconds every time my shirt, sweater, jacket, hand  brushes the screen is useless and not much better than it was before for me.

I simply want it to remain locked to the screen THAT I CHOOSE.  🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.