Make Fitbit sync with Mac OS X Catalina and Mac OSX desktop

To be very clear. Fitbit Connect does not work properly with Catalina. It only works immediately after a restart and then the connection is lost. An update to the Fitbit Connect App is required.

The application continually gives a "Turn on your bluetooth on your Mac" error -- and since most of us are now using bluetooth keyboards, mice and trackpads, it is obvious to us that the bluetooth function is ON and WORKING.

The "solution" checkmarked and given as "best answer" in the other thread is to continually reboot your Mac each and every time you want to sync your fitbit with the cloud. And even that only works sporadically - and then only for a moment or two before failing again.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

19 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@ChaunceySF Thank you for your suggestion about making Fitbit sync with Mac OSX Catalina.

We'll see what other Community members think.

pleticha
First Steps

when will mac fitbit connect be fixed to work with Catalina ?   

woehler
First Steps

Please add support for the Charge 3 to the Mac desktop app.

Thanks

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @woehler@! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

iChris
First Steps

For 3 years I’ve used my FitBit and FitBit Connect Dashboard on a Mac computer with a dongle. 2 months ago I upgraded to MacOS Catalina and discovered that it was not compatible with FitBit Connect.  I’ve been waiting patiently since for some news about when that compatibility problem might be fixed.  Tonight I learned that it will NOT be fixed.  I searched the FitBit website and found zero information about the problems with Mac compatibility, so I called the company.  The associate claimed that FitBit was NEVER compatible with MacOS — this in spite of it working fine for the past 3 years with the dongle that FitBit provided for just that purpose.  Worse, I was told FitBit has zero plans to upgrade the Mac App to resolve this incompatibility.  Further, they now only show Android, IOS and Windows devices as being compatible.  Macs are nowhere to be seen.  The support agent suggested I buy an iPad or iPhone.  Get a clue.  I’d rather save my money, take a hammer to my Charge 2, and buy a Garmin or other device.  FitBit has failed all of us who use Macs to access our data.  It looks like it’s time we looked elsewhere for better service.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @iChris. Thanks for taking the time to share your idea about supporting Mac OS with us! This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support and watch this space for future updates.

OldCharger
Jogger

Also looking for support of Fitbit on Mac Catalina O/S. Worked fine for years before. 

LEHI
Jogger

I'm seeing lots of comments about problem of dongle not found macOS catalina - I just updated mac and having same problem . But I don't see any solutions. Is there one and it's just well-hidden? My charge3 is new - would hate to have it be a waste of money if it doesn't sync

Science13
First Steps

Making Fitbit Connect more compatible would be amazing. I have terrible bluetooth connection on my phone and discovered Fitbit Connect for Mac. Then I found out that it does not work. It would be great if it would connect to the Inspire HR. 

TicoCory
Jogger

Does anyone want a fitbit Versa?  Since I can't connect it to any of my 4 other devices, I feel like it was a waste of money.  It just sits on my shelf because I can't sync it with anything.

sflagette
First Steps
Since upgrading to the new Charge 4, I have only been able to sync via my phone's app. I re-downloaded the Mac app to attempt to sync via my computer however the Charge 4 is not listed among the devices.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @sflagette, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync your Charge 4 with Mac app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

KCastun
Jogger
Fitbit Connect worked fine on MacOS 10.x (i.e. Catalina). But after upgrading to Big Sur, the app no longer recognizes the bluetooth interface. Even when bluetooth is enabled, it says "Please enable bluetooth to sync your trackers."

Many others have reported this problem in the community forums.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KCastun, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use the Fitbit app on Mac OS . Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

BethMinger
Stepping Up

I too am having difficulty syncing my mac to my charge 4 - have recently updated to Big Sur - hope they can resolve this problem - my next move may be to an apple watch.  Thanks for your attention to this matter.

taksyapo
First Steps
Can fitbit bring back the app for windows/mac?
Odyssey13
Community Legend

Hi @taksyapo  since it was discontinued October 13, 2022 it wouldn't seem that they plan on returning it. Sure seems like most people today use their smartphones or tablets for anything internet related. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion about making Fitbit sync with Mac OS X Catalina and Mac OSX desktop. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @taksyapo, thanks for taking the time to share this request about adding the option to sync with Fitbit on Windows and Mac desktops. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. 

You can also vote for these other suggestions: Allow support for Windows 10/PCs app for all devices and Bring back Fitbit Connect support.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.