Make it easier to identify friend who is *making* a friend request!

twitter dot com/leslie/status/724342925245689856

You replied to my tweet above asking me to (re)submit my idea here. 

Include context with Friend Requests we receive. Fitbit shares a lot of private data I don't want available outside my *actual* friend network, but I also am not completely closed off to new friends I don't know who migh inspire me.

Add a Profile link? a User name? a LAST name? a City? a Twitter handle? Anything. Maybe two things. Throw us a bone. Help us know if they are people we know, or people from a group, or stalkers we should avoid.

thanks.

11 Comments
pistachiolaura
First Steps
this is a safety issue as well - I do NOT want random men creeping on something this personal and your current system makes it really easy to mistake strangers for friends and vice versa
JiggeryPokery
First Steps

I love this idea and have often wondered why there is so little context given with friend requests. Hope this gets some traction!

Bunnybear_05
Pace Setter
Yes. Like if we have mutual friends or something to help identify that we actually know them
GeoffreyK
Recovery Runner

Agreed.  50% of the friend requests received are confusing.  There has to be a better way, twitter, Facebook, Instagram all are easy to figure out.  Fitbit is very difficult to determine.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

Rawn13
Recovery Runner

Right cause having a last name won't help stalkers right? I have a friend on here being harassed by someone, what are the rights n how can this stalker (done to more than one person too!) be kept off Fitbit community?

GeoffreyK
Recovery Runner
Well, when you get a friend request from someone, you don't have to accept
it. However, knowing who it is that's asking you is more helpful than not
knowing.
vee
Progression Runner

Hi, I know this is not a new thread and it appears to have taken almost 2 years to get a Fitbit reply, However, I am adding my voice because recently I have gotten a lot of "friend" request from men who don't even step!  This is new to me in the past few months, and I have had my Fitbit since 2011. I received 2 such requests already today! I did not sign up for a dating site! Something needs to be done about non-users using Fitbit as a dating site..perhaps make sure some steps are showing up within a week of signing up? I also like the suggestions above! 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

An irritating and continuous issue us women have on here (and some men I read) is these random men sending out friend requests. Once you add them they act like this is a hook up site.

I truly don't understand the need to add male friends just because they liked a landscape photo I posted in a group.

I'm a 50 year recently married woman and I'm sick and tired of not being able to communicate with men without there always needing to be more to it. Can we just have an interaction on a public forum without it becoming a hook up app? Can we exist without it always having to become sexual? Nothing against sex, just tired of men talking me up. 

It's the only negative part of using this app. 

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

BTW my husband (also on here) is not at all surprised men act like this

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option with Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.