Make one clock face option that's inclusive of visually impaired people

It is beyond frustrating that there isn't one clock face that's inclusive of fitbit's visually diverse glasses wearing client base. Please make just one clock face that shows one giant fonted statistic at a time without the time on it (heart only etc) allowing us to cycle though. 24 clock faces, and not one can be read by people who need readers?
12 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Slow.Epiphanies, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about making clock faces that are inclusive of visually impaired people with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Stacivogue
First Steps

I also cannot see the stats on my Fitbit and am considering changing to the Apple Watch. It’s ridiculous that there isn’t a single face that has large fonts. 

MarioDings
Sprinter

There's a challenge I will take. However, I can only design on Ionic/Versa/Sense.

I'd like some input for such a clockface, like:

1 screen with only time (+ seconds?)

1 screen with only steps etc.

Distance between the characters.

Do you want icons, circles or bars.

@MarioDings  - you're a good man! I actually use a Charge 4 so that isn't going to help me specifically, but I'm sure it will help a lot of other people! Thanks for taking it on, even though it isn't your responsibility to consider their users.

No clock face features a heart rate, yet this is a fitness device, so that would be a good start. I would start with 1 screen with a giant heart rate number and a small heart underneath, so that I can look at it when I'm working out or walking/running without glasses and stay on target. From that screen, it would be VERY nice to be able to tap or swipe the heart rate screen and be able to cycle through the other important stats one at a time. These are the screens I would make sure to include:

- 1 screen with only heart rate #
- 1 screen with only # calories burned
- 1 screen with only # steps
- 1 screen with only # active minutes
- 1 screen with only time (seconds don't matter to me because they would make the numbers smaller, but other people might like them)

Each screen should have the numbers as big as possible and easy to decipher. Space between characters is only important insofar as the numbers are as big as possible, easily readable, and don't overlap. I think the priority is big numbers and readability.

Let us know if you make one and where to find it!
MarioDings
Sprinter
I.d like to point out the My Dyslexic series from Jeremy Jeanson

https://gallery.fitbit.com/developer/e9f014d9-35c8-46cf-b9cc-95dc86c4e3df

Not what you want I guess, but maybe some others will like them.

@Slow.Epiphanies I'll contact you if I have something and to keep me on track. 

Others may join of course.

MarioDings
Sprinter

And here are my results for now. I have to test (user acceptance test) it, but it runs.

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/016fe2dc-a8a3-4c27-8f26-58252249e359

The K for 1000 is gone. And yes, it's 12:33 at night. 

Limited-Vision-screenshot.pngLimited-Vision-screenshot (3).pngLimited-Vision-screenshot (2).pngLimited-Vision-screenshot (1).pngLimited-Vision-screenshot (4).png

Ari72
Jogger

I agree!!! -- Please share the clock face real-estate with the stats!!! I have spent good money and on clock faces, that after downloading, could hardly see! I purchased a clock face called clean stats, thinking it was a clean, easy to read clock face with enlarged stats and or goal setting device, come to find out it was telling me when to wash my hands?!?! 

I think I have purchase approx. three now. One developer even held my fitbit sense hostage, showing an access code and demanding that I go to their website to download the code which was the only display I could get on my watch, their giant access code?!?! 

Please provide a way to increase the font size of the various stats on the clock face! The time takes up TOO MUCH space on the clock face!!! Please share this space with the stats!!! 

I, too, am wishing I would have paid the big bucks for the Apple watch, at least maybe I could see it!!! However, I was trying to avoid getting roped into Apple phones and products! 

Please make a way to enlarge the fonts and decrease the size of the time!!! 

Maybe you need some older, vision decreased people and or developers working for Fitbit!!! 

I am NOT happy with my product!!! 

I would also like to be able to more easily change which stats are displayed as well as having a larger font!!! 

Hire some older people or have older people test your products!!! 

water.rat
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,

I agree with everyone above. There was also a thread on making the font bigger for the Inspire family (I just got an Inspire2) which the moderator closed for comments after 2 1/2 years of users complaining about not being able to see the stats. Found similar requests in the product help forums. So many clock faces and not one that just gives the stat you want in a large enough font to read. So many people asking and asking. I've been slow at figuring out how to set this device up as I've never used a tracker before, but am going to switch my efforts to figuring out how to return it. It is useless if I can't see my heart rate while exercising. It's the only reason I bought the silly thing in the first place! Wish I had found out about this flaw when reading reviews and trying to decide which tracker to purchase.

Hey @MarioDings - I just downloaded your design for my Sense! The font size is amazing!

Some feedback for you on things I noticed, and think would help make this super useful for everyone:

- Some settings options i would love to have:

- On the Sense, the battery indicator is really in the way of the main text in the centre.  Any way you could remove that, or make it a setting we could add/remove ourselves if we want to?

- can you make clock seconds an option?

- can you make text colour an option? like add an option to change the yellow font to white or that really nice light blue-grey you chose for the clock face?

- there are two screens that have branding on them that feels distracting, and is so small it's impossible to read without glasses 🙂 it just looks like a blur to me. haha. sorry! maybe make that an option in settings too? 

Some buggy things I noticed:

- My Date shows Fri 10, and then underneath that, a big random 1! Not sure what that 1 references. 🙂 Maybe it's a glitch? Could you remove it? Or maybe making a different format would fix that? Like Fri Dec 10, even if it was still on two lines with 'Friday' above Dec 10? 

- The little numbers that sit on the circles - I don't know what the numbers mean. They seem to be in conflict with the numbers on the inside of the ring and don't correspond to any of my goals, so they are confusing. For instance, my active minutes one - it has a big yellow 6 in the middle, and a blue 21 sitting on the ring. my ring is about 30% full.  For my distance counter, it says 1625! So i'm not sure if those are some kind of steps or if it's missing a dot somewhere in there like 1.625? There's a green 2 on the ring, which is about 80% full. Honestly, I would be happy with a ring that shows my goal progress without a little number on it, and just the big number inside and the little symbol telling me what i'm looking at. The simpler the better for people who can't focus!

thanks so much for going out on a limb to design this!

MarioDings
Sprinter

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at it carefully.

It's still experimental, because I have to hear from others to hear what they like. 

The battery, I can move to a better place, and make it optional. Your clock will hint you to charge it when below 25%, and will hint you when you charge above 90%. And there's more.

Seconds are standard on a 24h clock. I guess you have am/pm I'll switch that (and as an option)

Changing colors is not my favorite, but I can do that too.

The bug is not a bug. In the settings you can set a date. The number is counting to or from that date. In your case it was 0 and the next day it shows 1. And now it may show 3. Set the date to 2022-01-01 and you get the number of days left this year. But I'll remove it. 

On distance: of course you are using Miles, I forget. And the dot for thousands. 

The little numbers: Here I deviate from the path Fitbit sets. And you let me know that you're not happy with that. Heard!  The simpler the better. I'l take them away and use them elsewhere.

I like to explain though. They are not the goals set in your settings, but an average of the last 6 days. Let me explain. If you set a goal on 10.000 steps and your average is 12.321 then the goal should meet your average, in this case 12.000. Without explaining this I know it's not clear to anyone. So with active minutes it's correct saying 6 minutes is 1/3 for the average of 21.

I have to say: the brand stays on. Even if you can't see it. It's my brand.

So, lot of work to do. Thanks again.

MarioDings
Sprinter

Thanks @Slow.Epiphanies 

I've changed the clockface as requested. Now it gives you the full circles as you've reached your goals.

Exploring my original idea I've made a new clockface wich sets the goals On Average, as was the original....

Check it out. You can use it for 14 days, because in EU that's a more apropriate time to test something. 

And again I always apreciate feedback.

karencirrus
Jogger

I agree. I can't see any of the stats on the Inspire 2 even with the Stats Heavy clock face. I totally agree this would be the best option.

- 1 screen with only heart rate #
- 1 screen with only # calories burned
- 1 screen with only # steps
- 1 screen with only # active minutes
- 1 screen with only time (seconds don't matter to me because they would make the numbers smaller, but other people might like them)

Thanks
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.