Make run distance based only on GPS data ( at least as an option )

According to the moderators, the running distance is based on GPS data, stride length and something, that is called "step rate" ( I don't know what it is, I asked once, no answer ). I understand that it's supposed to lower potential computation error but it seems to be a problem in certain cases and results with incorrect distance. It would be good to be able to decide in Run settings how the distance should be measured and if a runner wants to use GPS-only or any additional, let's name it, "error correction". The problem with distance doesn't really seem to bug "Bike" exercise so maybe it's a good idea to rethink used algorithm for running or give an option to the user

14 Comments
Fika83
Recovery Runner

Thanks, I will try that but it is not logically and normal for watch which supposes to be sport watch Adidas edition not to be run watch. Next time I go bike exercise when I go to run to try.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing your suggestion. You can read more information about how Fitbit calculate distance here. If you need more help in regards to GPS and distance you can visit the Help Forums. Keep sharing your ideas.

WiggyOne
Jogger

I like this idea and hope to see this option available with the next update. I went for a run yesterday for a race that was measured to be 4 miles. I started the exercise before I started running and after I was done. It should have measured slightly over 4 miles, instead it measured 3.8.  This was a completely open area, by the beach, with no obstructions and was clearly wrong in its distance measurement. It really messes up my splits and I'd like to see this fixed. Thank you. 

GrumpyBruno
First Steps

Is this correct, that GPS plus step data and stride are used?

According to the link shared by Yojana:

"Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found."

So this implies to me that as long as GPS is connected before you start - it will use GPS only "Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps"

cvmashellfish
Jogger

I agree.  My Ionic is consistently incorrect on the distance when using the run function.  After a 7.5 mile run on a known distance track, the Ionic was more than a half mile off from other GPS devices and the known distance.  This is a consistent error rate, and completely defeats the purpose of having bought a watch with GPS.

JeffB2752
First Steps

I too am experiencing incorrect distances - specifically at USTA certified events, Ionic is showing short distances.  I came to Ionic from a Garmin, and will likely go back.  There's no point tracking if the data isn't going to be any good.

Switched from Garmin to Ionic, switching back due to GPS! Last 4 mile run (course measured by wheel) Ionic measured 4.79 miles! Others in group never vary more than 0.1 mile, my Ionic is consistently inaccurate.

What has helped connecting to GPS was powering down and restarting Ionic.  Hope company comes up with a solution.

Chrisco7
Jogger
Currently even with the new Versa 3 and Sense the GPS is not used to measure the distance travelled, only to adjust the stride length. We need an option that allows the distance (and hence energy) calculation to be based on the distance the travelled according to the GPS instead of the number of steps combined with the stride length.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Chrisco7, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to make run distance based only on GPS data. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@YojanaFitbit , is there any update on this? Which request did this get linked to?

I bought a Charge 4 a few weeks ago, and just wasted several hours comparing routes, and upload/downloading and converting TCX files, to find out why the data reported by the fitbit app and the watch (during a run) differs so much from the actual route. I found that the "DistanceMeters" values in the TCX file are not based on GPS coordinates at all! I got alerted to this when I noticed Strava reported different distances and speeds (my Fitbit data is synced to Strava, which uses the actual coordinates recorded by my Fitbit to calculate distance).

I am shocked and puzzled that the watch, which I bought for its GPS capability, does not rely on its GPS data to calculate distance and speed (in contrast to what some moderators have suggested, some of whom incorrectly state that if GPS data is available that it is used for distance). The length of the route is shorter by several percent than the summary indicates (4.87km vs. 5.00km). How can I track my exercise progress if I cannot trust the data it produces?

I will likely return my watch if this cannot be resolved, as I have no use for inaccurate statistics.

Chrisco7
Jogger

@SunsetRunner My request was closed and this was the one linked to. I returned my fitbit and bought a garmin instead. Much happier now.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Chrisco7 , thank you for your response. It was not clear to me that your message had been moved.

It is a pity that they did it this way. I really liked the idea of a small wristband with dedicated GPS, as I want to avoid a large GPS watch (was replacing a TomTom Spark GPS watch). 

PMWalkers
Jogger
I use my fitbit to monitor heart rate, sleep and steps. I use a walker when I walk which causes the 3-axis accelerometer to not detect my steps. Distance is calculated using steps x stride. DIstance is also calculated using GPS with the Charge 4. I would like my Charge 4 to have the option to calculate steps using Distance / stride.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mortonboots, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to make run distance based only on GPS data . I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.