Make sleep score optional

Suggested idea is to have the sleep score optional ! 

We should be able to choose if we have the score or not , I hate feeling like I failed my sleep!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

1,450 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jamiefitbiy, thank you for sharing this suggestion with us. Making features optional is a good opportunity for users to adapt the dashboard to their needs. I'll love to hear what other users think about it! 

FidgetT
First Steps

The way it's displayed is straight up obnoxious and hides the information that is actually useful, like making the first graph shown the score instead of the time asleep. This seems to be the case throughout the new design, the useful information is no longer visible at a glance from the main screen, everything requires digging now.

The sleep score is a dumbing down of information and puts it on a scale that means nothing to an individual. I know my own patterns and what a good sleep is for me, what makes a 100 score for me won't for someone else. Please give us the option of using the old display or at least to opt out of the sleep score!

jamiefitbiy
Jogger

I agree, to have it as an option is a much better idea. Test this on uses that have anxiety like me and and there is no way they would of passed this . A “score” puts unnecessary pressure on sleep and one of the first issues for people with sleeping issues is that there is enough pressure to sleep as it is- now having a score that I see instantly when I wake up is even more pressure . I think you should of run this idea past a few sleep professionals before you went ahead with this idea . There is no way they would of passed this to have as a “must see” I understand this would be useful to people with no sleeping issues but for those of us that do, this isn’t ideal at all. 

ZoeVee25
First Steps

I completely agree. I'm a new Mum and every time I wake up and look at my sleep and see it 'scored' it makes me really sad - quite depressed. I really believe it should be an option for people that are interested in getting better sleep. For me right now that's not an option with a four month old, but I still want to look at my sleep to understand when I and my son are up, looking for patterns in his and my sleep. But what we really don't need is to be graded on that sleep at this part of our lives. Please make it optional. I'm sure there are other parents out there that feel the same way. 

jamiefitbiy
Jogger

Exactly! Yes my sister is one of them also!! Such a silly thing to force us to see ! They need to make it an option ASAP. For now I have removed the sleep screen all together as I was getting upset swing a failing score as soon as I woke up 😞 thanks for making me feel so bad about my already terrible sleeping patter @Fitbit 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Agreed. I'm not sure if there's a way to use an older version of the app to get rid of the sleep score, but I plan on looking into it. I'd be very interested to know how the sleep score is calculated, because it seems like it's a completely random number.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Absolutely hate the new sleep score feature.  What a useless, arbitrary number.

I want to see average hours of sleep again.  If you believe this sleep score feature is a necessity then please at least include a place in settings where we can choose whether to display sleep score or average hours of sleep.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding sleep score with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

dan801
Recovery Runner

A arbitrary figure you have come up with is meaningless to those that need to keep track of the amount of sleep they get. As a shift worker I need to track how much total sleep I get during the week / night. I can’t do that properly with a “random number”. Allow us to have our hours slept back. On a side as a trained physiologist providing a sleep score and saying you sleep good/bad increases anxiety in insomniacs, it’s essentially sleep shaming people and dangerous.

Solidrock22
First Steps

Agreed. Hope this can be changed. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @dan801! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to remove this option from the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Embq
Stepping Up

I really hate the sleep score - it's useless to me. The thing I look at most is the average sleep hours I have and now it's gone. I don't need to know how much "restlessness" or my "sleeping heart rate" is - I don't have those problems and even if I do, the fact that I need to pay a subscription for to get that information is absurd. What that means is that the sleep score is just an arbitrary number that I can't change or improve or understand what it's about. I find myself using the app less because it's not providing useful information. 

I'm an average sleeper with no problems generally when it comes to sleeping. The one thing that changes is the hours I sleep because of normal day to day or night activities. The average sleep hours is a great indicator for me as to how I need to adjust my next day or week, when I need to catch up on my sleep etc. Please bring this back. 

davebremer
Jogger

The sleep score is useless. It does not reflect how well I slept. I have had a rubbish sleep one day, and fantastic the next, with the score differing by one point. The score is completely unrelated to my actual experience 

Give me the choice to chart time slept. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @davebremer! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share what you would like to see about your sleep. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

jamiefitbiy
Jogger

Looks like we did it !!!! My sleep score is gone ! Thanks every one.   

jamiefitbiy
Jogger

dammit !! It’s still there !!!! They really need to get rid of this !!!  It’s the WORST start to my day !!

SunriseRun433
Recovery Runner

Add back average sleep time 

Remove Sleep Score which is meaningless and a gimmick to lock users into subscriptions.

Mattonz
First Steps

Sleep scores are NOT useful. I have given them a bit of time to see if I’d adapt to the new change, but I passionately dislike Sleep Scores. They are arbitrary and potentially demoralising and anxiety inducing.

Sleep scores SHOULD be an opt in/out feature - just like what metrics for distance/weight.

Totally support the idea of users being able to create the kind of dashboard they want.

Emster1
Jogger

Agree with comments here - please remove sleep score, or at least give users option of reporting on hours asleep basis. 

Solidrock22
First Steps
Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone
Pjaye2000
First Steps

I hate the sleep score as well. As a shift worker that information is pointless.

I want to see only time slept in hours & minutes not some made up number that means nothing

Asynca
Jogger

I'm still hoping they add the ability to disable this soon. It's meaningless to me a hides what I'm really interested in: average time asleep. I purchased Fitbit for this sleep tracking features and I am annoyed about an 'update' that hides the ones I'm interested in.

EdInCT
Base Runner

This is pretty much useless information to me.  I tried to see if I could turn this off and wound up deleting a night's worth of sleep information.  Seeing the different stages and the times is much more beneficial for me.  Scores mean precious little if anything.  This needs to be optional, or at least not be the primary reading for sleep tracking.

TheVinny
Strider

Sleep score us USELESS when compared to the average amount of sleep for the week we used to see. Sleep average is very helpful in determining bedtime, naps, staying up late etc. Who came up with the idea? A very bad one.

jsnbrooks
Recovery Runner

One of the best things about the fitbit for me was tracking my sleep.  It was easy to see how many hours I slept during the week and easy to keep track of.  Now you force implemented some sleep score??????  The number means absolutely nothing to me.  I want the old way to track my sleep back.  Why would you implement this as a mandatory change?  The old way was great.  PLEASE turn it back or make it optional, I did not buy the fitbit for some convoluted way of tracking things.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.