Medical ID Wristbands/ICE (In Case of Emergency)

It would be a great idea to add the medical alert logo to the flex band in case of a medical emergency. Older adults today are living longer, more active lives than the generations before them. The medical alert symbol and information can be incorporated into a stylish watch or a bangle-type bracelet, among many other options.

Medical IDs give paramedics and health care providers a quick look at your medical history in an emergency. They usually include information about medical conditions, food or drug allergies, medical devices (such as a pacemaker), and medications. This data can also be in sync with your Smartphone.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

278 Comments
GarudaGirl
Tempo Runner
Hi...

Since many of us are going out walking, running, or otherwise exercising with our Fitbits on, could you consider adding an "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) line to the display that can optionally be shown if someone scrolls? It would provide one extra way for someone to find help for you if an emergency occurs. I have a RoadID but it would be nice to have the option to have an emergency contact listed on the Fitbit. I realize safety isn't necessarily Fitbit's primary purpose...that's more health and wellness...but it would be great.
Jillypoo
Jogger
I am writing to your company because i have a money making idea I would like to sell you regarding your fitbit devices.
I am not sure who I would need to speak with.
I am new to your device, I just got one as a Christmas gift this past year. I love it. It truly is helping me stay more active and be aware of my activity. I am a type 1 diabetic who truly needs to stay active for my health. Which brings me to my idea. Diabetics are supposed to wear an alert bracelet, as do heart patients, etc, to alert others in the event of an emergency of their disese. I do not wear a medical alert bracelet as to my diabetes because i dont care to have a piece of bulky jewelry on 24/7. I once had one but it got in the way and eventually ended up breaking. However, i never take my fitbit bracelet off. I wear it when i dress up, dress down, i wear it to work, the gym and church. I even sleep in it. My idea is how great would it to be to design some special fit bit bracelets that also serve as medical alert bracelets. Have Differnt alerts written on them and even have the different colors like you currently have on the plain braclets. Please contact me if this is something I can speak with you about. This would help all of us in the world with type 1 diabetes or other illnesses to stay fit and active as well as wear an alert in the event of an emergency---something that we can wear all the time and not get in our way.
Jillypoo
Jogger
I am writing to your company because i have a money making idea I would like to sell you regarding your fitbit devices.
I am not sure who I would need to speak with.
I am new to your device, I just got one as a Christmas gift this past year. I love it. It truly is helping me stay more active and be aware of my activity. I am a type 1 diabetic who truly needs to stay active for my health. Which brings me to my idea. Diabetics are supposed to wear an alert bracelet, as do heart patients, etc, to alert others in the event of an emergency of their disese. I do not wear a medical alert bracelet as to my diabetes because i dont care to have a piece of bulky jewelry on 24/7. I once had one but it got in the way and eventually ended up breaking. However, i never take my fitbit bracelet off. I wear it when i dress up, dress down, i wear it to work, the gym and church. I even sleep in it. My idea is how great would it to be to design some special fit bit bracelets that also serve as medical alert bracelets. Have Differnt alerts written on them and even have the different colors like you currently have on the plain braclets. Please contact me if this is something I can speak with you about. This would help all of us in the world with type 1 diabetes or other illnesses to stay fit and active as well as wear an alert in the event of an emergency---something that we can wear all the time and not get in our way.
NavyGuy
Jogger
Please add the option for this information to our Fitbit accounts for emergency service to access if they were to come across me. There would be an element of collaboration with them in order for them to be able access this info on my Fitbit but it would be a selling point. You could even package a specific band which would represent the red medical bracelet.

Thoughts? I would like some recognition if you utilize this concept!!!
Opivali
Jogger
I like this idea a lot. I would be nice if it tied into applications like ICE that you keep up to date with your and use on your phone.
NavyGuy
Jogger

Exactly . . . thanks for the support!

blakeatwork
Base Runner

The biggest stumbling block to this idea would be the security of your data over BlueTooth connections; how easy is it to access, and how easy would it to be to post a man in the middle attack to sniff out the data wirelessly. 

I do like the idea though, especially if you can securely integrate with your healthcare providers in your country of residence. The hardware would have to change and would probably be developed around the Internet of Things hardware platform, which is substantially different from FitBit's current device structure. Not a bad thing, as it could have it's own mobile connection, and not have to be tied to your phone for anything other then the dashboard.

N3M3S1S75
Jogger

The ability to display medical conditions, allergies and emergency contact on charge HR, could get various colours/ styles for different conditions. Eg, a orange band that says diabetic on the actual band for diabetics or red for allergies.

ScottDprt
First Steps

Both me and the wife just started using FitBit Charges and would like to see a medic alert option for my diabetes and her epilepsy.  Since we wear our Charges 24/7 except for charging and bathing, this would insure we never leave home without a medic alert.

Philly10
First Steps
Don't know if you guys offer this product yet but I think you could really benefit from it. Fitbit should come up with a medical alert band for your Fitbit products. I'm a firefighter in Philadelphia Pa and one of the things we look for rite away is a medical alert tag or bracket. Your bands are getting really popular and could save someone's life if you offered a medical Fitbit band.
MHSorensen
Keeping Pace
Like some information (blood type, allergies etc.) stored in the band that could be seen with an NFC scanner or something?
katieem
Jogger

I would be thrilled with the idea of medical conditions being on the fitbit band as well as syncing with the phone. I am on warfarin for the rest of my life and would feel safer if I could have this on my band in case of an emergency! I wear mine 24/7 so I would also never leave my home without my medical alert bracelet. 

KarynWms
Stepping Up

This is a great idea. I am a diabetic and currently wear both the FitBit Charge and a Diabetic Alert bracelet. It would be nice to have a medic alert on the FitBit band.

rinesk
First Steps

Great idea! No one wants to wear a watch, a FitBit, Medical Band, etc. We started out with cell phones... they are now smartphones.

whatsmyusername
First Steps

I would like to see something like the usb medical epic-id incorporated in the bracelet. 

PJthePirate
Jogger
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I would really like some way to use my fitbit flex as a medical bracelet to alert people to my condition for emergencies etc. I've always resisted getting a purely medical engraved band or bracelet because I'm not prone to problems but I recognise it would be a sensible thing to invest in.
I wonder if there is a way to include information about my insulin and injections into my profile within the app/Web page so that if I was poorly I could just hand over my phone and the detail would be there if I needed to quickly share that info. Also, perhaps a flex band could be made available that has 'Type 1 Diabetic' and a medical alert symbol or caduceus printed into the rubber discreetly - therefore allowing me to wear my fit bit with pride and purpose?
I know it's not a huge change, but it might increase appeal and functionality for people like me who are using the fit it to improve their health within another regime.
Biggpoppa76
First Steps
I'm a type 2 diabetic. I'm sure that there are other fitbit users that have other medical needs. So I was thinking about having customized MEDICAL ALERT bands for the flex and or the others. It would open a new market to the company and customers. It would help both ways. Please take this into consideration. I think that it can and will be an awesome advancement.
maltz1881
First Steps

I am Type 1 as well. This would be of great help. I had one of those bracelets as well and hated it. Maybe something like a scrolling message could be added. Like # of stairs..Type 1. It would be very simple to do. Even allergies as well. Great thought!

Med-Alert
Jogger
I'd like to suggest a FitBit Flex band with the Med Alert symbol on it. Possibly in a glow in the dark material - with a bright red or orange band. This could eliminate the need to wear a med Alert bracelet! And alert first responders to your med condition. Thank you
Serinekat
First Steps

I am a type one diabetic and I have to keep tabs on my blood glucose at least three times a day.  I typically take my blood sugars around the times I eat so I will write them down with my food in a food diary.  It's great to have all the information together.  Fitbit doesn't have any option to add a misc info to track like medications or blood glucose.  This would make Fitbit 100% perfect in my book.  Medtronic is the company that makes my insulin pump and it has wireless capabilities and syncs with the Medtronic site... any chance you can get that all here too?  A girl can wish.  

ITSME00313
Recovery Runner

I put a medic alert charm on the buckel of my Charge HR.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I'd like to suggest something else for medical data could it be done in such a way that if the surge or charge hr detect no heart rate it will display ICE information on it's display. Maybe this could be combined with the other sensors to get the right time for displaying ICE information even more accurate. Maybe it would even be possible to show an access code to a website with more detailed information. This could then be a subscription like the way RoadID handles this.
Tj13
First Steps
Hi,
Would it be possible to add emergency medical details the the Charge HR, I use my Charge HR to monitor my heart rate as I am waiting for heart surgery. It would be nice to be able to add my basic medical information and emergency contact details to the interface so that a first responder can press the button and at a glance see what my medical condition is. This would save me having to wear a medical id bracelet as well, you could then on sell medical id wrist strap sheaths/slidy things to go on the strap so that at a glance a first responder can see that they need to check the Fitbit for medical data. Not only would it allow a quick response but it could possibly save a life.
There are so many people using both a Fitbit and a medical id device that it could really make a difference.

Regards

Tj
AndreaSnow
Keeping Pace

I dont really want to wear 2 bands when I am out running but do find myself in some remote locations with no means of identifying who I am.

As a technical solution you could add in another screen (like the alarm clock) that is optional that you can add in your ICE phone number. I have aa Charge HR and have 7 views, the 8th could be a phone number to call in case of Emergency.

Or like the ICE band it could be engraved on the when purchased.

Or for existing owners there could be an additional slip on sheath with the ICE details added, again engraved, or printed on something in the same material.

Great work though - loving the fitbit 🙂

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was thinking along the same lines the other day after seeing a comercial for "Life Alert". A great idea would be to implement something like this into the Fitbit where someone could press a button to get assistance if they fall and hurt themselves or something. You could use this as an additional service and possibly put "Life Alert" and others out of buisness 🙂

Also, you could put other information on these bands for children, and people with allergic reations or required medication and such.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.