Monthly reminder to check your breasts for signs of breast cancer

I love the new female health tracker and how it alerts you when you're about to begin your cycle or when you're most fertile. Now that this information is tracked could I suggest that you also add an alert for mid-cycle to check your breasts for the signs of breast cancer? I understand from my doctor that this is the best time to check your breasts as your hormone levels are at their most normal levels. My best friend has just been diagnosed at the age of 33 and after talking among friends we've realised that many women our age don't check themselves often enough as they think they're too young to be effected. It would be great for women to be reminded regularly to check themselves if it's possible!

17 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. I think this could be very beneficial for a lot of Fitbit's female users. Keen to hear what others think?

Omcca003
First Steps

Good idea. I assumed this functionality would be a there. Seems like a no-brainer. Definitely a useful alert to have. 

Miriam85
Recovery Runner

At the very least the ability to choose a date each month. I mean c'mon TV stations remind you in my hometown! WHOI19 on the 19th and WEEK25 on the 25th of each month have something and other channels at least reminds you in October, and around October, during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

Seriously I don't mean to offend, but this seems kind of like a non brainer for a FEMALE HEALTH TRACKING FUNCTION! AS DOES VAGINAL/ PAP SMEAR EXAMS! 

I too have had friends diagnosed as early as their mid 20's, it happens, but women that young don't think it will so they tend to ignore it. My cousin was just diagnosed with HPV, which can lead to cancer if it doesn't go away and she's just 21.

mkissawookiee
First Steps

I too have a friend who was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer when we were only 33.  She required a double mastectomy.  I had no idea it could affect women so young.  I support the idea of having a breast self-check reminder as part of the female health tracker.  Thanks for posting this idea.  Fitbit, please consider this feature-- it could save lives!

cmb594
First Steps

I agree this is important, and should be an opt-in under the female/menstrual tracking. I say opt-in, because those who may have had breast removed for any reason may be upset by this reminder.

Picking a date option is good, but I think it should be included when the best times in a person's cycle are for self-exams, so that people can choose dates that work for them within the best-fit window. 

Amarble
Jogger

It would be helpful for the female tracker to remind see you to perform a monthly self breast exam. It’s so easy to forget. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Amarble thanks for sharing your idea. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

FlackD
Jogger

Yes! A monthly reminder would be perfect! Let us choose the day in our own cycle. I've seen different suggestions on when is best, but it's better to do it than not. 

Lomull313
First Steps

The female health feature should have an option for regular self breast exam reminders. Supposedly it’s best to perform these mid cycle and I always forget. Breast cancer awareness month would be a great time to add this option and remind people to take care of themselves! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lomull313, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having a reminder to self breast exams, with us! I've moved it into a similar suggestion. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Hwixon
First Steps

Yes! This would be an amazing addition to the female health tracking feature.  

CheckDemBoobz
First Steps
I find the tracker super helpful, but feel it would benefit from the addition of a pre set notification using our cycle date to remind us to check our breasts.
Checking your breasts is recommended monthly, several days after your period ends and many people forget.
Early detection of breast changes can prevent breast cancer deaths.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @CheckDemBoobz. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about getting a reminder for self breast exams with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

NZJen1980
First Steps
Reducing Brest cancer is a huge goal Recently I was at doctors and was informed I should be checking the tissue just after menstruation. I as well as most woman always forget! But my fitbit is ever so reliable in reminding me when menstruation is ending and its personalised to cycle, it would be amazing if it could remind me to check for any lumps
NZJen1980
First Steps

Please leave a comment of support people. 🙌 I really believe we can save lives, many many lives. I'm hoping the more people leave messages possibly the right people at fit bit can see this idea? And can make it reality :light_bulb:😉 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NZJen1980, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use monthly reminders to check your breasts for signs of breast cancer. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

mlpratt96
First Steps

I hope FitBit is working to develop this! I feel like I mainly remember to perform a breast exam during my period, which is the wrong time to do a breast exam. A monthly reminder at the proper time based on the menstruation data would be AMAZING and so helpful in early detection of cancers. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.