More Notifications

Hello Fitbit Team!

after a message of one of you moderator i have decided to make that topic.

I really like you products but the people using an IOS device really need more notifications!

So please give us more! 😃

Notificions i would recommend:

Whats App

Facebook 

and more messaging apps

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels.

562 Comments
mwh_
Recovery Runner

@Trumani - I had a vivosmart just before I bought my Surge.  You are correct, all the alerts go to the band by default.  This would be better on the larger screen of the Surge (which is why I dumpped the vivosmart - it was too hard to read and sideways no less).

Federica
Jogger

I'd like to get an update notification (vibration) for SMS, Facebook, messenger, whatsapp, etc ... etc ... thanks

Moderator edit: Added labels and edited title for clarification.

aguayodav
Jogger

the xiami band does this and costs 14€, also goog be great to unlock the device thru bluetooth secure

ViktorT
Premium User
Jogger

Agree, Calls are fine but Text messages are not any longer widespread, whilst other brands provide notifications for common messaging apps like emails, hangouts, even facebook...adding some services would be great. 

smj34
Runner
And ability to turn off 1 at a time. I can turn off notifications from my phone but I may/would want different ones for different devices
HarryO26
Keeping Pace

This would be a great feature. Just to get a heads up on the email to see if it is worth pulling out my phone for a response or if it can wait. 

ac166
Base Runner

Yes!! Please do this! Text notifications are great, but all other smart watches allow for this (eg Pebble, Vivoactive, Android Wear, Apple Watch, Garmin etc etc)

ac166
Base Runner

Please could you add the ability to get all notifications from attached smartphones to the surge?

All other smart watches currently support this (including several fitness trackers).

SMS is great, but most of the useful notifications I get are from emails/whatsapp/facebook etc.

Here's the android APIs:

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/service/notification/NotificationListenerService.htm...

Here it is for iOS:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/CoreBluetooth/Reference/AppleNotificationCente...

ac166
Base Runner

All other smart watches currently support this (including several fitness trackers).

SMS is great, but most of the useful notifications I get are from emails/whatsapp/facebook etc.

Here's the android APIs:

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/service/notification/NotificationListenerService.htm...

Here it is for iOS:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/CoreBluetooth/Reference/AppleNotificationCente...

ac166
Base Runner

Please could you add the ability to get all notifications from attached smartphones to the surge?

Here's the android APIs:

Here it is for iOS:

WDETFitness
Jogger

Going from the Pebble to the Surge I am really missing all my notifications.  It is nice to get text and call notifications, but please update the Super Watch to get more/all notifications.

That would make the Surge just about perfect 🙂

MaltzMalt
First Steps
I've just upgraded to a Surge, from a Garmin Vivosmart. The Vivosmart does have notifications for Facebook and Twitter which is brilliant. Come on Fitbit, get this sorted for the Surge, as this is already a superior device.
ac166
Base Runner

And on the surge please!

JohnLemar
Jogger

IN future Updates - Can Surge also be enabled to have Notifications from such Apps as facebook and Skype and maybe Twitter - or maybe given options for all the popular messaging apps Thanks

Cgrizzz
First Steps

Hello,

I really enjoy the notification part of my surge.  However, I can only receive notifications for calls and texts.  The problem is that most of my messages come from other apps like FB messenger, whatsapp, or wechat.  If it could be possible to add notifications from other apps it would be really great. 

Thanks,

Clark

danseb
Recovery Runner
I second that, in fact there's no reason why the fitbit surge shouldn't display all notifications, both Android and iOS allowed it, ala Pebble
finch62
First Steps
Just being able to set simple reminders to go off at specific times and display a little text would be supper helpful on the fitbit devices!
sbfbdo
First Steps

I agree, customise to have more notifications & more watchfaces

jtcredle
Jogger

I completely agree with the above statement.   That feature is what lead me to purchase a Garmin Vivosmart over a Fitbit product.   I am open to Fitbit again because of Garmin's poor software but the ability to receive all notifications would result in a day one release purchase of a Fitbit Surge from me.   Many individuals communicate much more heavily through non sms and voice means these days.  

Calender reminders hitting the watch would also be a hugely important to me.

jtcredle
Jogger

I currently have a vivosmart and you receive any notification that is turned on in notification center on iOS, not sure about Android.  I would buy a Surge today if the feature is available.   I am pleased with the hardware on the Vivosmart but Garmin's other software is TERRIBLE.  If Garmin's very poor software designers could incorporate this feature I can't see how Fitbit would be unable to.  

Calender alerts, e-mail, messaging apps, news/sports updates, and social media alerts are utilized as much if not more than SMS and voice these days.   As a busy professional being able to see these during a workout without going for a phone strapped to my upper arm would be a huge convenience and being able to screen them during the day without accessing my phone has been a fabulous feature of the Vivosmart (when it stays linked to my iPhone). 

Please Fitbit, I really want to become a customer, provide me with the one feature that is keeping me away from you right now.

jtcredle
Jogger

Could not agree more.  I also just switched from Vivosmart due to Garmins poor software and 3rd party sync issues.   I believe their are API available to provide easy access to notification data from both Google and Apple.  This would be a huge enhancement to Surge and really place it closer to other smart devices in product class while greatly exceeding their fitness capabilities.  

jtcredle
Jogger

This would be a fantastic enhancement.  I switched to a Surge from a Vivosmart and really miss the notification capabilities of that device.  It would definetly make the Surge a more viable alternative against other smart devices.

jtcredle
Jogger

Complety agree.  The only thing I miss from my Vivosmart

jtcredle
Jogger

This would be a great feature. Just to get a heads up on the email to see if it is worth pulling out my phone for a response or if it can wait. 

That is the only feature I really miss from My Vivosmart band.  I really hope that Fitbit intro's the same functionalty to the Surge.  If they are going to market the device as a smart device this basic functionality needs to be included with an option to disable or screen notification types

jesus_comes
First Steps

I'm currently using a $15 Xiaomi Mi Band and even without a screen this thing vibrates whenever I get any kind of notification.

Everyone I know only cares about one thing in their fancy new smart watch and that's notifications. Nobody is using their Apple watch to view pictures or look up a map. It's simply getting alerts and maybe controlling music that's playing. Your product is capable of doing both!

You already beat most of the smart watch manufacturers on battery life and can capitalize on it by offering additional functionality of notifications. Please make it happen.

Here is how Xiaomi manages notifications. I'm sure you can make it look nicer, but this menu works quite well.

mi band notification options

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.