New Waterproof Alta HR

I understand some of the larger models, the Versa and Ionic, have waterproof capabilities, but I have a small wrist and the Alta HR is perfect! The only problem is it's not waterproof. I know some people would like it for tracking activity in the water like surfing or swimming, but I would really like to not have the freakout moment in the shower after the gym when I forget to take it off. If the new Alta HR model could be waterproof, that would be great! Thanks 🙂

Moderator Edition: Tilte update for clarity and labels

11 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @mtph0neh0me. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Toddjensen
Recovery Runner

I also like the size of my Alta HR and would like to see a swim proof version.

Bonbayel
Jogger

Living in Southern California, I can swim 8-9 months of the year, so I have a Flex 2 to register my swimming. But there is no HR tracker in the Flex 2, so I have to use an Alta HR to keep track of that, and all the hard work I put into my swimming only registers as exercise, but not HR, or calories.

The 2 together are very simple, feminine, show the time (which I usually use my phone for, because I can't see the Alta screen out in the sun) and I can use to keep track of the 250 steps/hour (using my phone) and other milestones. I would rather listen to the birds and the wind than music when I'm out walking (or swimming) so I have no need for radio, text, facebook, email or music. Besides they're all on my phone.

However, I do have trouble keeping them synced to each other. They are always a little off from each other. So when the one tells me I've completed 250 steps, the other doesn't always agree, so I have to keep going until it does too. (Gets me more steps, of course.)

The only Fitbit that combines swimming and HR is the Ionic, which my husband has (except he doesn't swim.) It's a super clunker. I'd NEVER wear something that big! And if I wanted an Apple watch I'd get one but I don't see the point.

Please consider going a little backwards for your next Fitbit, combining swimming with HR and notification of Fitbit things, but not text messages! Just add swimming to the Alta HR. Then I'd be the first to buy it!

From a 75 year old woman who is in great shape because Fitbit reminds me to move and is a great incentive.

Lemons808
First Steps

100% agree with this. The flex is lacking and the Versa is overkill. Much too big for me to wear comfortably. I was was given a flex. It’s ok, but the lack of a screen has me annoyed. I would not have bought the flex even though it is waterproof because of this. A small simple face would be perfect.  A waterproof Alta HR would be the ideal device for me. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to suggest to make another waterproof ALTA HR. I wanted to buy some pretty smartband with a small display (not only with leds like in Flex), which would be waterproof to take a shower, to swim in.

Mühlchen
First Steps

Hey folk,

I’d really appreciate if you were going to launch a new Alta HR which is water resistant.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Mühlchen! Thank you for sharing your idea. This suggestion exists already, so I merged your feature suggestion into this one. Do not forget to click on the thumbs up button to support the idea.

Tracyyoga
First Steps

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. A waterproof Alta HR would be wonderful. I love the slim design of the Alta, but I need the true waterproof feature of the Charge 3. Unfortunately, the Charge 3 band is so wide that when my arms get wet, the band does not dry out underneath and my wrist gets irritated. It is not always easy to take it off, wash it, dry it, dry my arm, and then put it back on, so I find myself leaving it off my wrist more and more just because it's so wide and chunky. 

TLukeJ
First Steps

Awesome suggestion! I have a flex 2, but want something slim that has heart rate and that I can swim with

Bonbayel
Jogger

I finally got a Charge 3 when it became available, so now I can swim and monitor HR, but it's got more functionality than I need (it keeps vibrating when I get messages. It's enough with my phone!) But it's quite thin, although wider than I'd prefer. (And the band comes off occasionally.)

Status changed to: Released
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion.

We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on Fitbit Inspire. You can find more details here.

@mtph0neh0me, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.