New iOS App - Reduce white space to make more information visible on the Today screen

It doesn’t look like the option to choose between the new and old dashboard is being considered but the Today screen in the  new dashboard could be improved from a visibility/ accessibility point of view.

There is a lot of white space around the activity items - steps / distance etc which makes it difficult to see the activity items summary. Could the 4 minor items be two to the left and two to the right of the primary item to give more space for the activity entries?

Could the white space on the activity entries be reduced and font size increased to make the information more readable? This would address concerns that have been expressed.

Flex 2, Charge 2, Charge 3, iPhone X
8 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @name, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about reducing the white space to make more information visible on the Today screen of the Fitbit app. 

We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Thank you again for sharing your ideas with us. 

efit01
Base Runner

I hate the new dashboard design. Fitbit forced me to update without even asking my permission a few days ago. 
I am so confused how Fitbit thought that this new look was somehow better?? The old tile version was fun, easy to read, simple (in a good way), and I have never heard a complaint about the old look. 

It seems like everyone hate the new dashboard look. So I dont understand why Fitbit is being so rude and dismissing all of our complaints.

Fitbit even closes the most popular threads on this topic, so we cant voice our opinions.

I am seriously so fed up with Fitbit. I am looking into Garmin and Apple now. Before this new update I was a diehard Fitbit fan, but now I tell everyone I know not to waste their money on a Fitbit.

I, the original author of this post, am deleting the content ... don’t know why it got posted twice and there is nothing worse than reading the same verbose post twice ...   hahahaha.

All The Best fellow Fitbitters.  

Mark 

I am beginning to like the layout and look of the combined “Health & Fitness” and “Challenges” found in the new “Today” tab, however, with that said, I have the same observation of poor space utilization.  Screen space on mobile devices is precision real estate, and this new layout could be made more efficient.  

In addition, I have a growing dislike for the constant item reordering, specifically after the auto insertion of new challenges invitations between “Activity” and “Health & Fitness Stats”.  This auto insert method now requires constant user edits each time a new challenge appears... and in my case to reorder the “Health & Fitness Stats” above all “Challenges”.   

The “MANAGE ACTIVITY ITEMS” table is an example which supports adding/removing and reordering of list items, and creates a single “Activity” item in the “MANAGE TODAY ITEMS” list, which can be reordered as a static item, on the “Today” screen.   All eight optional “Health & Fitness Stats” are separate items on the “MANAGE TODAY ITEMS” list, and are pushed down in the list as new challenge invites appear.   

The following suggestions may help to alleviate some of these issues.

1. Move all eight of the “Health & Fitness Stats” to the “Manage Activity Items” table, maintaining the adding/removing and reordering choice as currently exists.  

a) Leave the ‘primary’ circle icon size and text placement unchanged;

b) Make the ‘secondary’ circle icons slightly larger with text inside circle, in 3 rows of 4 if all “Activity” and “Health & Fitness Stats” are chooser.  

2. Create a new “CHALLENGES” table, with “Auto-Sort” = ‘on’ or ‘off’ and:

a) if ‘auto-sort’ = ‘on’, use the restored challenge “auto-sorting” functionality, as in the legacy “Challenges” tab; or

b) if ‘auto-sort’ = ‘off’, enable user specified subcategories of “Pending”, “Active” and “Completed”, providing the same adding/removing and reorder user options (as in the “MANAGE ACTIVITY ITEMS” table).

c) The icon size for these is appropriate at one challenge per line ... 

Finally, as a former Menu and GUI software developer, I am willing to offer beta testing services to aide in testing updates and new releases prior to release ...  

motzy
First Steps

The latest update is NOT an improvement. The font size on the TODAY icons became microscopic just to leave useless white space around every icon.  There's is no reason for one item, the one big circle, to take up nearly half the page. The other items used to visible in a single glance in a grid and now they require scrolling to access the data. The battery level is now buried and should be visible on the main page.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @motzy, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about Fitbit Today, with us! I've moved it into a similar suggestion. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

RChobby
Base Runner

The new look is inferior. Too much wasted white space, fonts for secondary targets too small to read when running. We aren’t all as young as the designers must be. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.