Next Generation Waterproof Tracker like Charge 2/Charge HR

With the release of the Flex 2, I was hoping for a display on a waterproof tracker, preferably with heart rate tracking. To my surprise, they actually released one (Ionic). Now, the Ionic's great and all, but I'm not really looking to buy a smartwatch as an upgrade to a Flex 2. Therefore, I started brainstorming, and came up with these ideas:

• A "reboot" of the Force, but with the Flex 2 material so that you won't have to issue a total recall of the product (again).
  • A waterproof tracker that somewhat resembles the Charge 2. I'd also recommend clock faces with all basic stats (Steps, Calories Burned, Heart Rate) on a single screen. I don't know how you'll do that, but if you can, then by all means, go ahead.

These are the two that came to me. If anyone has any more ideas, there's a comment section below this post. You guys can come up with your own, or add to mine. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

You'll Mostly Find Me on the Feature Suggestions Page
153 Comments
hcurvo11
First Steps

I agree totally with you, CatermanKid.  I have the FitBit Flex 2 but want either the HR or Alta but am waiting until they are waterproof so that I don't have to worry about taking off in the pool when I do laps.  Only then will I buy another FitBit.

CaterhamKid
Recovery Runner

I have just bought a Charge 2 for daily wear. Fortunately I have a Garmin Fenix 5x which is bullet proof. I can wear that anywhere and even press the buttons underwater but I don't want to wear it daily. I know that is top end but even the Garmin bottom end devices are totally waterproof. I cant understand why this isn't a priority for Fitbit. As their software etc is so much better I would have thought this would double their sales!

swallowaspider
Recovery Runner

I agree with many people that have commented: for the Charge 3 (or whatever you update the Charge 2 to) should be WATERPROOF. I love the thought of the Ionic but it’s more like a smart watch and my stepdad showed me his and it looks big on his wrist. He has the small option too! He took it off and gave it to me and it is WAY too big! I love my Charge 2. I started with the Charge HR, then the Charge 2. Once there’s another new Charge I will probably buy it but you’ve got to listen to us Fitbit people! Make the next Charge WATERPROOF! I lose so much tracking as I regularly swim and it’s the only exercise I can do due to arthritic joints. I’m only 24 and want to stay active but the Charge 2 can’t keep up with my stats when I’m swimming!! It’s making me look like I’m doing literally no exercise at all! It’s very demotivating 😞 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Personally I love the Flex 2, I wish it had the Alta HR's little readout screen and heart rate monitor for all the dry-exercises. Better yet, Alta HR with waterproof features. I'm very interested in buying something like the Charge 2 or the Alta HR, but I need it to be submersible for swimming, I like the small wristband form factor

JessieC
Jogger

I love the fitbit charge 2,  can you please offer a completely waterproof update to this fitness tracker? I’d love to be able to wear it in the pool.

Anniedeehughes
First Steps

I have the new charge 2 and would love a waterproof case for it so u can wear in the pool when swimming or doing aqua fit,  even if the heart rate monitor is disabled

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Why is it that so few fitbit devices are actually waterPROOF? Are they being submitted for a rating and failing the test or does Fitbit just not care to make the devices able to withstand dunks, swimming etc? It sucks that a 3rd party company like Waterfi can make a waterproof fitbit, but fitbit can't 😞

PureEvil
10K Racer

@SunsetRunner, as a quick point of comparison.  Waterfi charges $100 more for the tracker and it also renders the altimeter (what is used to measure the flights of stairs) unreliable.  Their words:

"To completely waterproof the Charge 2, the altimeter has been sealed which can result in an imprecise "floors climbed" measurement but will not effect other stats and readings."

And there is no definition of 'waterproof' in the US.  Only rating to water resistance, for them it is 30 feet (so less than 10M), where the Ionic is rated for 50M... more than 5x that depth.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Only fitbit I own are the Flex2 and the Ionic.

I'd would have gotten e.g. the Alta HR or Charge 2 and been happy with it doing everything except the altimeter reading.

What I don't do get is why more fitbit aren't being designed and manufactured with a watertight  ingress-proof 5atm/50m case. Surely they can isolate the innards better as they could do it with the Flex 2 which I'd wager is a far less technically challenging design than the Ionic. 

alfredogomez
Strider
Exactly And The Fitbit Ionic Is So Huge Plus It Too Bulky. And Still No Matter How Many Of Us Ask No New Fitbit Adventures. It’s Like The Company Either Doesn’t Want To Change Or Doesn’t Care About The Clients. Prove It, We Dare You .

Sent from my iPhone
DoreenW
Jogger
I just purchased the Alta hr from them! Same 1 year warranty.
swallowaspider
Recovery Runner
I agree! It’s like none of them are listening to what we actually want!! I wanted to buy the Ionic but I tried my stepdads and it’s huge! I’d rather save money for another company if Fitbit doesn’t get their **ahem** together!

Sent from my iPhone
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Lmrphy08
Base Runner

Found this company that has a waterproofing service for $125.00.

http://waterfi.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Waterproofing%20

Status changed to: Not currently planned
MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Lmrphy08, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. However, since you posted this, we have released Fitbit Ionic which is water resistant up to 50 meters. If that's not what you are looking for; please leave your comment and vote on this feature suggestions which is asking for a next generation waterproof tracker.

You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQsFor now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

sonjacm
Base Runner

If the new Charge HR 3 is completely waterproof, then it'd be the perfect tracker for me!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I own an ionic and a flex 2, I gave the flex 2 to my mother and got a polar a370 to replace it, as an alternative daily (I like variety in my watches)...

Now, had fitbit made the charge 2 or Alta waterproof, I'd have gotten that instead, no brainer.

But as their only options are flex 2 and ionic, I went with a different brand for my 'alternative daily' device

shrugs

DoreenW
Jogger
You should have looked into Waterfi. They took Fitbit Alta HR and Charge
and waterproofed it. I LOVE mine!
PureEvil
10K Racer

@DoreenWand others,

If you read the fine print, getting the WaterFi modified tracker also:

• Nullifies the Fitbit warranty, granted WaterFi offers its own warranty, but don't expect Fitbit support to assist you with this product.
  • Renders the altimeter (tracks flights of stairs) unreliable.  Their words: "To completely waterproof the Charge 2, the altimeter has been sealed which can result in an imprecise 'floors climbed' measurement..."
  • They use the term waterproof (which is technically prohibited from being used to describe watch devices) and is only 'water proof' to 30 feet: "You can now submerge your Fitbit Charge 2 down to 30 feet underwater."  The Ionic, Flex 2, and Versa are rated for over 5x that depth (164 feet).
  • Even if you get such a doctored device, it still doesn't track swimming.

Just my 2¢.

Klloyd08
First Steps

I would absolutely love it if my Charge was waterproof. I love everything about it, but having to take it off and miss calories burned when I swim is extremely disappointing. I have been wearing my Charge for over a year now and I wear it all the time. I play volleyball almost everyday and keep it on the whole time. It is amazing it can hold up with all the dirt and all of the smashing into the wood floor, but can not handle being in a pool. I do not want to wear the bulkier, waterproof ones because they will probably hold up a lot worse with the constant banging around. Please either upgrade the Charge to make it waterproof or create an accessory that allows it to be waterproof.

alfredogomez
Strider

A Fitbit Charge 2 Waterproof Sea And Pool

JanelleC
Jogger

I have a charge 2 HR. It does all I need my fitbit to do except it isn't waterproof! Which means I never wear it when I'm kayaking. Swimming, paddleboarding  etc. Also not a huge fan of the shape. I use it as a watch at work and would like a bit more "watchlike" appearance. I am a woman with small wrists, and I don't want a giant square that takes up most of my arm strapped to my wrist, which holds me back from the versa and the iconic. The only other waterproof option doesn't have a watch display at all.... can we get a good in between? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. 

kigeliakitten
Recovery Runner

The Versa and Ionic are too big for my wrist.

I also really don't want a smart watch; I really want a charge 2 that I can swim with.

JessieC
Jogger

Try the Versa, you won’t be disappointed. Super comfortable band and it’s waterproof 😊

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.