Next generation Alta HR/Alta with altimeter (stair counter)

I own a Charge HR because I really wanted to track heart rate but I originally bought the One so that I could discretely track my steps. The Charge HR is anything but discrete and I really don't like big wearable tech, especially ones that shout "I TRACK MY STEPS". More importantly, I always wear an analog watch and wearing two watches is just dumb.

When the Charge 2 was released I was really looking forward to updating my Charge HR, but the display is massive and looks stupid on my small wrists. Then I was beyond excited to hear about the Alta HR. My boyfriend was just about to order it for me as a gift until I saw they don't track floors so I had to call him in a panic saying "DO NOT ORDER - No floors climbed = No deal"! Thanks but no thanks. Man Sad

I understand that there are size limitations for what features can be included but please can you create a sleek/slim tracker like the Alta HR and Charge 2 put together that we don't have to be embarrassed about wearing? (Yes, I've had multiple times when I've gone out and got the "are you actually going to wear that?" in reference to my Fitbit). Something with sleep tracking, floors climbed, interchangeable bands, and small. Text/call notifications would also be nice 🙂

Moderator edit: Labels and title for clarity

145 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

The current fitbit alta doesn't has a altimeter and unable to do this.

Feel free to add your vote / comment to @MissmitziL 's suggestion, so hopefully it can be included in the next gen alta.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Next-Generation-Alta-with-altimeter/idi-p/1280718

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I would like to see an add stairs feature on the app so I can add Stair climbing to my exercise routine. I wear an Alta & I love the slim design but this is not one of the features on the it as there is no altimeter.
yuxna
Recovery Runner
Alta with an altimeter is my ideal kind of fitbit. I was super upset when I knew that an altimeter wasn't added into the Alta, but would definitely be delighted if an altimeter is added into the new generation Alta if possible.
Status changed to: Not currently planned
AlvaroFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

The Alta is already released and doesn't have an altimeter so this isn't possible with the currect device but as previously mentioned you can vote for the idea of having this in the next iteration of the Alta tracker.

DLz
Jogger
Hi, as the title says, 2 big features I'm missing since I moved from the charge to the Alta (I was forced to change since the charge bracelet fell a part), are the timer and the stairs counter. The timer was really usefull because I was able to register records or pauses during the training. Please put these features back in the Alta, at least the timer. For activating/deactivating we could use a long pressure on the screen. Thanks.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That be wonderful!

The current Alta doesn't has the hardware to be able to count stairs.

Feel free to add your vote / comment to @MissmitziL 's suggestion on the Feature Requests subforum:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Next-Generation-Alta-with-altimeter/idi-p/128071...

The more votes increases the chance of the developers integrate the functionality.

Regarding the timer, possible to add your vote.. to @stephrc 's suggestion:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Timer-for-Alta/idi-p/1484164

Karmella
Base Runner

I miss my one because of this feature!!! we need it in the Alta!

MHimmelspeck
First Steps

I bought the Alta for the size and interchangeable bands.  I have had 2 Fitbit Charge HRs that the band has broken and wanted something that wouldn't happen.  I knew that I was losing the heartrate feature.  I did not realize that I was losing the altitude/stairs.  I am upset that this is not included in this Fitbit.  Please add this feature!!!!

I was told to come here and vote, however I cannot figure out how to.

CDE
First Steps

I would also like Alta with altimeter. Seems silly not to have this tracking feature on any Fitbit. 

Karmella
Base Runner
i use the desktop version in the browser on my phone! Agreed we need
stairs....
Sharon3735
First Steps

Add stairs, get rid of the reminder to move if something has to go - I turned that off anyway and it's not nearly as useful. 

Karmella
Base Runner
agreed i dont use it either! maybe if we could personalize the time
frames... like from 830 til 1pm im active... add 30 min and/or 15 min
intervals... but i miss my stairs i have badges to get still
jodwhy
Recovery Runner

I was so disappointed when I discovered my new Alta did not come with a stair tracker.  I thought I was buying a cross the board replacement for my  Charge and didn't pay close enough attention as to weather it had the stair tracker, just assumed it would.

It doesn't make sense that the lowest priced Fit Bit has one when most others don't.  Please make this a standard ability.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
cathym2
Recovery Runner

Fitbit One was great & still is when doing grungy stuff like gardening, but wanted a wristband.  Got Charge2 because of the features, but is so big & kind of clunky, please add climbing/stairs to the new Alta HR and you will have a winner!  That is an important part of my workout, so would love it in a smaller device & Alta HR would be great!!!

julio.revolorio
Premium User
WorldWalker

I would really like the new alta HR to have the Floor count feature

Status changed to: Not currently planned
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a technical limitation of the Alta HR, it does not have an altimeter which is used to measure changes in in elevation. You can find more information about how Fitbit uses altimeters to track floors by clicking here.

sjhowe
Base Runner

Agreed. So sad that they couldn't fit this feature on the Alta HR.

ataladay
Jogger

I understand that it is too late for the Alta HR, but can it be gen 2 of the Alta HR?  I want this feature too.  I love the size/look of my Alta as compared to the charge HR.

ataladay
Jogger

Please add the altimeter to Alta HR gen 2.  I love the look and feel of the Alta as compared to the Charge, but I do miss the HR and the altimeter features.  I'm glad HR was added, so now i'm just missing the altimeter.

Also...i think its strange that Fitbit chose the name "Alta" and didn't put in an altimeter.  They just "go" together.

SteffC
First Steps

Love the features of Charge2... do not like the big size.

Love the size of the AltaHR... wish it had the features of the Charge2.

I don't like having to buy and have different trackers for different things.

You are going in the right direction with the AltaHR... PLEASE PLEASE put floor counts on this tracker!

Thank you!

Slowstepper
Jogger

I love the new sleep diagnostic data but miss the stair count on my new AltaHR.  Do I need to wear my ChargeHR as a way to capture stair count?  

cathym2
Recovery Runner
This would be a great addition to the Alta HR or make the Charge 2 smaller.
Love the features, but Charge 2 is just too big & clunky & eats batteries
pretty quickly. Alta HR change would be wonderful addition. Still use my
FitBit one when doing grubby stuff in the garden etc, so already using
multiple devices and when Charge 2 is charging. Would much rather be using
an Alta HR with stairs added. Keep up the good work & listening to
suggestions.
sjhowe
Base Runner

@Slowstepper Yes, if stair count is important to you, you'll have to keep using the ChargeHR. I think it's crazy that it's been suggested that you buy different devices to meet all your needs, and even more ridiculous that people suggest to wear two trackers at once... This is why I would love if they made a small tracker that met all these needs 🙂

cathym2
Recovery Runner

Please add stairs to the Alta HR - important function & with warmer weather, Charge2 is just too big, clunky & hot.  Want stairs added to smaller sized Alta HR!!!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.