Only accept friend requests from people I already know?

I seem to get multiple "friend requests" which are overtly sexual and inappropriate. I would like not to see them, I do not know these guys. As it is I have to report or block each one separately.

38 Comments
MYLAMEN
Base Runner

WHY DO WE NEED TO VOTE JUST ADD THIS FEATURE

Buttersnot
Jogger

Well, this thread has been going on since August 2019. Obviously Fitbit/Google don't really care how we feel about it and want to turn this app into the next instagram. So, I'm out, and I'd recommend everybody else ditch them as well for a company that actually cares about their clients' privacy.  It's quite horrible when kids receive friend request from strangers. (see someone else's message in this thread, I forgot who posted that).   There needs to be a default opt-out with an optional opt-in to this thing.

MYLAMEN
Base Runner

WHY DO WE NEED TO VOTE JUST ADD THIS FEATURE!

Buttersnot
Jogger

This thread has been going on for a year and a half.  I doubt that voting will have any effect.  It should be clear that Fitbit/Google will do as they please, and if that means turning a supportive community into the next social media then that's how it will go. Your opinion and my opinion has absolutely no weight on this, nor does the opinion of anyone else that might want to chime in.  You yourself have quoted multiple threads on that same topic.  Did you see any change since people started complaining about it?

MYLAMEN
Base Runner

Nope, I have seen no change and have voted for all the other topics that are the same. I have also been in trouble for Cross-posting to help advocate and bring awareness. Even that didn't work. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I'm tempted to cancel my subscription and sell my Fitbit Sense due to constant and repeated friend requests from fake Fake profiles.
Every day I get one, profiles of people who have never posted anything.
It is shameful and this greatly affects Fitbit's social use.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to receive friend requests from people you know rather than receiving requests from fake profiles with us. This idea was already requested, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We appreciate your feedback and while we'll keep tracking this request over time, aside of voting for this idea, we recommend reporting those profiles with the steps described in this help article so our team can handle them accordantly. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

charleskn
Distance Runner

This is very annoying, even as a guy. I think there are a few things that could help:

• Allow users to choose to block all friends requests or only allow friend requests from people with their email address
  • If a user sends a friend request, all the requester's profile information should be viewable by the person being asked to accept the friend request. Too often people making the request have information about some spam sports blog link on their profile that is only viewable if you accept the link
  • Users that do not have a fitbit tracker should not be able to make friend requests, but can accept friend requests
  • Users should be able to specify that friend requests come from users with an actual daily step count (maybe even specify a minimum number of daily steps), badges and a member for a certain minimum amount of time, and level of activity (posts, daily activity, etc)

There are many ways to weed out the scam profiles. We as the end users shouldn't have to click through and delete/report each one, individually. It is maddening, and does make me, for one, think about switching to another platform.

Iampaigeb
First Steps

Yes fitbit better add this feature of being able to stop requests or only requests that have mutual friends. I am hounded every time I post an update. Its so annoying it is aggravating. And I read on a form with others having this issue that its men 2 or 3x our age which is what mine is and once accepted they ask if you are single and if your married. Even your age. I am not on fitbit to have a relationship with strangers. I am seriously wanting to leave and may do that to its not so friendly community safety options.

RohbeanT
Recovery Runner

Users shouldn't have to beg Fitbit to provide a way to turn off random friend requests, especially since children use the service. Perhaps after a child is lured into danger and the story becomes publicized, Fitbit will do something about this feature that should be provided by default.

Tawny0528
Jogger

This is a newer problem for me as i recently became active in the community and every time I share a weight loss badge or if I get a high step count I'm suddenly drowning in creepy older men friend requesting me and (when I was naive enough to accept the first handful) receive creepy messages from them. This is an exercise app...not another place for women to feel sexually harassed or men to be scammed by fake accounts (as other posts I've seen complaints on) It looks like this problem has been around for years as this thread started in 2019 and like EVERY OTHER Community Request Fitbit has ignored it. But this shouldn't be considered a feature...its basic protection of your consumer base!!!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This suggestion, in a way, makes little sense. If the person already is a fitbit friend, they have no need to send a request to be friends. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.