Open source native Pebble apps

Why not make the Pebble app(s) open source so that the dev community can keep on fixing bugs. Or is the Fitbit team keep on squashing bugs for Pebble devices and related software?

Update : perhaps Fitbit can contribute to http://rebble.io/faq/

11 Comments
PebbleUser
Recovery Runner

I've found a similar idea on the original Pebble forum but I guess no Fitbit folks are actively following this (just for the reference https://forums.pebble.com/t/idea-why-not-open-source-the-code-for-pebbles-built-in-apps/6166?u=opens... )

@PebbleUser wrote:

Why not make the Pebble app(s) open source so that the dev community can keep on fixing bugs. Or is the Fitbit team keep on squashing bugs for Pebble devices and related software?

pdchristian
Jogger

Very good idea!!!

jammet
Jogger

Indeed, I'd be all for this. If Fitbit is going to just not care about the watches, give the users the sources, so the community can pick up the shards and we can do it ourselves.

PankajB
First Steps

Very Good Idea. Hope Fitbit would understand Pebble Users' condition.

CarieCpink
Recovery Runner

Yassssssssss! I owned a FitBit for two years before buying the Pebble 2. I loved my Charge hr but was looking for something more. I like the Fitbit app better than the Pebble. Could there be a holy union taking the best of both worlds and creating something awesome????

PankajB
First Steps

But Still Fitbit is way behind the Pebble in terms of uniqueness, reliabilty, concept, user satisfaction. 

CarieCpink
Recovery Runner
Agreed! I'm extemely happy with my Pebble and thrilled that our KS3 order
was fulfilled. The battery life is ridulous and I appreciate how easy it is
to customize it. I hope that Fitbit allows open source app development (and
support?).
CptZenon
First Steps

I hope that Fitbit will try to keep Pebble fans happy while they figure out how to integrate the tech they have acquired. Yes PLEASE make the app open source. If Fitbit could make a pebble like watch and integrate the fitbit features, I would buy it.  Pebble wasn't able to fully develop all of the health features like what Fitbit has.  I just hope they can keep/integrate the best parts of Pebble.

BGB3
Jogger

I have a Pebble. Please, this si a great idea! 

Dazzleman
Recovery Runner

I have a Pebble Time - Agreed an excellent Idea.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release the source of Pebble applications or clock faces. We also are not supporting the Pebble platform or applications as we are focussing our effort toward Fitbit products. Please take a look at Ionic and the SDK for more information.

You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.