Open water swimming for Versa/Sense

The Fitbit Ionic looks awesome, but it's only compatible for swimming laps in a pool.

The main competition, the watch with a certain fruit name, can be used in the sea and it will use GPS to map the workout and track distance / calories / speed. Other trackers have GPS, water resistance, but curiously aren't capable of using the GPS while swimming, but can be tricked by choosing a "Running" exercise and just jumping into the water. That makes me believe that the only thing stopping FitBit supporting this feature is just software, as all the hardware sensors and capabilities is already there.

Please consider implementing an "Open water swim" workout that uses GPS to track calories / distance for swimming, instead of laps.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

80 Comments
hawke_al
First Steps

Please, please add open water swimming to the Fitbit options.  I noticed some people suggested adding it to the phone app to start, I'd take that option.  I love my Fitbit versa 3, but since I've started swimming open water, the Fitbit just doesn't cut it.  I'd hate to have to buy a different brand, but it may come to that if Fitbit doesn't step up it's open water game.  So please, give us some sort of option.  

Tigerlilly98
Jogger
Just like when you log running or walking it would be nice to track open water swimming using GPS linked to the watch instead of using lengths.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Tigerlilly98, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about supporting open water swimming on your Fitbit device with us. I noticed a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Blathnaidtaylor
First Steps
Need gps tracking for open water swimming
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Blathnaidtaylor, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to track open water swimming with GPS data with us. I noticed a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.