Option to remove steps earned when cycling

Like most cyclists who have a fitbit, I track my activity using Strava (or some other RunKeeper, etc...) and as a result it syncs to the fitbit app and fitbit knows that I have completed a cycling acti ity.

However, it also counts steps during that period and allows those steps to contribute to my daily total - despite the fact that it knows that from x time to x time I was cycling.

Currently to remove these steps I would have to then manually enter my activity as driving and it would then remove those steps from the total.

Surely it would be a simple fix for all cycling activity modes to have the same affect on the step total as the driving modes, and for steps to no longer be counted?

The trouble is, for people like me who commute to work by bike it means the step counter is pointless on days I cycle (which is 5 days out of 7).

However, I understand that some are happy with the way it works at the moment and don't have HR monitors so just put their products in their pockets. So perhaps it would be best to have an option in the settings called "Count steps when cycling" or just "Cycling steps" and perhaps it's best that it's turned on by default so that essentially nothing changes for people who are happy using it the way it is, but for those who don't want to it'll solve the problem?

117 Comments
szaman
Recovery Runner

Fitbit,

Could I ask for an update on this? It has been already 2 years since this issue was reported!

derboti
First Steps

Just got my first tracker, a Fitbit Ionic, and I'm completely dumbfounded that the tracker would continue to count steps when it *knows that I'm cycling* (started a "Bike" activity on the device). Is there an update from a developer whether anyone is working on this bug? 

Endui
First Steps
JWDalsager
First Steps

Motorcycle != Biking. Motorcycle mode would be driving. 

Platham3574
Jogger
I don’t think it is. My fotvit does not count any steps whilst driving. But riding a motor bike it does and needs sorting.

Sent from my iPhone
NexusFitness
Recovery Runner

I use my bike everyday. When i ride my bike my fitbit charge 2 will count alot of steps and floors, it isn't un normal that the floor amount has increased with 20 floors after 10 minutes with biking upwards and my steps will increase with about 1000. Isn't the point that the data should be accurate? Also during walking the floors should be ereased since i don't think people would start the walking exercice indoor. Also during auto recognizing there should be and option to erease floors and steps.

Endui
First Steps

@NexusFitness

Hey looks like thiis problem/issue it's there for a while already (First post is from 2015

?, maybe ealier). Fitbit does not care about this issue and anything what we get is moderator saying: "ohh such a nice idea!" and then every new topic about this issue is merged to some old ones (then forgotten). 

Because this issue is on for such a long time I don't think anything will change to it. So dear users get used to it. 

That's too bad that devs are refusing to do anything about it. I know that it is not hard to program a mode/exercise which will simply ignore counted steps during set time frame. 

Anyways, stay active 🙂

Endui !

FrenchiVIII
Recovery Runner

This has been reported from three years and never solved??? Why is that??? In this way if someone uses the bike daily, the activity tracker would be completely worthless since it adds thousands and thousands of steps (and colories) per hour!!!  (In addition to cycling if the device has smart track - this is very dumb)

alescro
Recovery Runner

It's a shame that this non-sense issue is still there: you have smart-tracking working smoothly but then you have to cheat your device in order to decrease the amount of extra-calories earned. Fixing this would be so simple and I see no good reason to mantain the status quo.
Let's just admit that developers don't care at all about the situation as this topic has been around for three years and nothing has changed.

Personally I won't buy another Fitbit device until this problem remain unanswered.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Mattfbvelo
Jogger

Surely the code can easily be written to negate steps from a period of cycling activity. This is just lazy development or maybe that's it, the developers have this so that on their hipster fixie rides to the office they gain extra steps/burned calories to justify a couple of extra doughnuts at coffee time. Fair enough.    

alescro
Recovery Runner
I am very disappointed from this attitude. This i s clearly a bug and fixing It should be quite easy and effortless. None would ever regret this "feature", Just because it's non-sensical. Now Imagine Apple or Microsoft saying: "we know there is a bug in One of our software but we Will not intervene until enough people notice It. So keep on voting, guys!" Your answer sounds like this... No more fitbit for me!

Inviato da smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
GiacomoRz
First Steps

Looks like open for comments but closed for votes?

FrenchiVIII
Recovery Runner

As someone said It's quite stupid that a bugfix shold be voted like a new feature. The even more stupid thing is that this would be just a workaround to the bad step-recognition algorithm of fitbit (I had other trackers and none of them mistook all these steps while cycling). I would never recommend fitbit for a bike commuter.

NexusFitness
Recovery Runner
Yup, their algorithm sucks. Floors are incorrect, and steps. My charge 2
registers steps while gaming, shaking my hand, cycling and floors while
walking small hills with almost no elevation and by cycling. Floors by
cycling.. yeah. That's what we get.
garlicsibling
First Steps

Yes, please make a feature to not track activity during cycling!

I'll come back from a ride and get an award that I walked a marathon and climbed hundreds of flights of stairs...

I track my cycling activity with different hardware and software and don't want fitbit to do this because it makes the data that fitbit is designed to track, and what I want it for (actual steps and actual flights of stairs) totally useless to me because it is so overinflated. Can there be something in global settings for "track cycling as steps: Yes/No"? I'd much rather have this than to deal with having to remove the fitbit every time I ride. 

Endui
First Steps

Just check the first post in this topic. it is form 2015 but issue is known ealier (I remember finding post about it from 2013). 

FitBit devs are not doing anything about it and looks like they will never do. 

Just sell your tracker and don't recommend this tracker to any cyclist.

Endui

datacart
First Steps

I agree that this has to be done. Really Really surprised that this is not already done. I ride my bike 5 to 6 days a week which makes any steps counted irrelevant since I get 10 to 20 thousand on a bike ride.

GeeDoubleEwe
Jogger

I'm very surprised the versa counts steps whilst you've told it you're cycling.  The watch and app are so clever in all other respects, it strange that this "bug" is present.  Perhaps it's a feature?  Could someone from fitbit comment?

bionicjen
Jogger

I bought the Versa specifically for my indoor and outdoor cycling, and the counting of steps even after clocking in a spin session is frustrating. I carefully track calories in/out in MyFitnessPal, and this bug is frustrating to workaround. I hope FitBit will fix this issue. 

davidbrannan
First Steps

Just got a versa and I’m really disappointed to see this flaw after two days of use. I’m considering returning it as simply not fit for purpose and there is no justification for fitbit choosing not to fix it. What a shame!

ThomasCle
First Steps

I am very frustrated with my new Versa, since it tracks steps when I manually started a bike activity. It makes absolutely no sense! I can somewhat understand the reason for tracking steps while cycling if the Versa automatically detected the activity. But when I actively chose to start the Bike exercise by myself, there is absolutely no reason for tracking steps. Please fix this. I am so disappointed 😞 It makes my competition with friends and family corrupt, because I get unearned steps while cycling to and from work.

Eils82
Jogger

I also enjoy the work hustle competition. I do not want to stop going for cycles just because I am in this competition and my steps aren't registered. As someone who is not as keen on exercise it would be good to get the step benefit from both cycling and walking as this would encourage me to do both particularly since I find cycling harder 

yabodie
Recovery Runner

I've found that during exercises like cycling, any vibration to my hand is recorded as a step. It would be great if once I'm done with the exercise the app disregards, or gives the option to the user if they want to delete the steps that were recorded. Gravel riding results in massive step counts over 70 miles. 

jmerrilljr
Jogger

In most ways the Spin app seems to work well. Heart rate, time and zones are accurate. There are problems. Calories tracked seem to be almost 50% of what they should be. Why is there a distance field? Why steps?

I would suggest that fields should be editable. I would like to delete steps credited (whatever that means), and distance.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.