Option to remove suggestions about weight and calories burned

The tips that show up on the top of the screen mostly have to do with weight loss, even if that's not what your health goals are. Furthermore, I can't find a way to hide calories burned.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

6 Comments
Press.A.M
First Steps

I'm on mobile, so sorry if this already shows up on the post. I'm a licensed mental health therapist who works with people who have eating disorders. For many of my clients, seeing things like "weight loss tips" and "calories burned" can trigger symptoms and harmful behaviors. Currently there is no way to opt out. I feel discouraged that this is a barrier to clients accessing the other features of a Fitbit that can really improve their relationships with their bodies and their mental health (ie. Sleep tracking,  heart rate monitor, stress).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Press.A.M, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having an option to remove suggestions related to weight and calories burned with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Please note that you can hide your preferred tiles on the Fitbit app, and on select Fitbit devices. Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

steph.m
Jogger

fitbit needs to give us the option to hide calories on the watch face. it is a really harmful feature for people with eating disorders and negative relationships to calorie counting. i am absolutely annoyed that this has not been taken seriously. many many people have brought this up.

Gemmmaaaa
First Steps

As someone who has suffered from eating disorders all my life it is very important to me that the calorie counter should not be displayed on my teenage daughters watch screens. I have disabled it on their dashboards but it still there on their watch screens - I can't believe this isn't already an option, particularly from a large 'forward-thinking' company promoting a 'wellness product'.

Chimes84
First Steps

Agreed with everything said here. I was prompted to comment today with the new release of the FitBit app that has NO way to remove the calories tile from view. I will no longer be able to use my Fitbit because of this. I have a watch and was able to choose a face that did not prioritize calories, but they were there. I am worried like the commenter with teenage daughters that young people can easily see the calories and get into disordered eating. 

There is also a wide body of research that disproves the “calories in/calories out” model, so having this as a default, non-negotiable metric is not only harmful to many people it is no longer the gold standard of wellness metrics. 

Chimes84
First Steps

One more thing—it seems like Apple has (sort of) solved this issue with the Apple Watch. They have an “under 13” setting that users can check if they don’t want to view calories but want other health data in the health app. This is not an ideal solution, but I am going to switch to an Apple Watch since I can shut off calories there. 

An ideal solution (for both apple and Fitbit) would be the ability to shut off calories from the view altogether AND have an “under 13” setting so that parents can control the view of calories for their children. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.