Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

Moderator edit: Labels

542 Comments
neville
First Steps

I too find it really frustrating that devices and apps ignore kilojoules when they are the official unit of measurement for energy in the vast majority of countries.  Even Polar, made in Finland, a member of the European Union, ignores the unit of measurement they must use as a condition of their treaty of membership.  There are only THREE countries in the world that are not metric; the United States, Burma and Liberia.  As fitbit markets itself internationally, it should take into account ALL related intenational units of measurement, not just kilograms and metres.  

Myfitnesspal has kilojoules, and can link to the fitbit aria scales and fitbit tracker, but I don't really like its layout, and, on a superficial level, the app icon is is too girly.

mwalimu
First Steps

I agree with a number of people who have posted - if the app can convert between metric and imperial for volume and mass, it should be a relatively easy step in the programming to convert calories to kilojoules.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

This is great feedback. Thank you!

SamJean
First Steps

I want to add my vote to this.  I would really appreciate it if it was possible to track Kilojoules.  I  bought the fitbit this morning and I'll be letting people know how disappointed I am.  It's really just an expensive pedometre like this.

CatieCu
Recovery Runner

Me too!  Very few foods here in New Zealand have calories in the nutrition info and it's a pain to have to keep working it out.  (It was also be nice to have some of the main Aus/NZ food brands included too, rather than having to create new foods all the time).

ajwkiwi
Jogger

A New Zealand customer here -- yes it is a pain not having kilojoule units; I'm used to thinking in those for dieting and exercise. This is the feature I would most like to see added to fitbit!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Another Kiwi- PLease add my vote to getting Kilojoules option. Also a different section for NZ foods, even if just a few or faling that a section for generic foodds only . It is very tiresome to get a huge list of US processed foods when looking for a generic food. I really dont what to see any pre-prepared processed food from another country

Voli
First Steps

Joules would be nice but typing kilocalories correctly is crusial.

1 kilocalorie (kcal) = 1000 calories (cal) = 4.184 kilojoules (kJ)

spitfireant
First Steps

kilojoules PLEASE !!!....

No foods are measured in calories in OZ.

Metric RULES !

Mucko76
First Steps
Much of the world works in metric units which for energy is joules or kilojoules. All other units in Fitbit can switch between imperial and metric, so should energy, especially as it's the primary unit for energy on food labels here in Australia.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I use myfitnesspal to log my food for this reason plus it has most Australian foods. It would be nice to have the option on the web site and app
Judith29
First Steps
If you can't do food for us in Australia can you at least do kilojoules to sync with the food app we use
Judith29
First Steps
Another Aussie here, there are so many more companies doing the same thing now, I suggest you think about the consequences of not appealing to the majority of the countries you want to sell to instead of 3, put kilojoules on the app!!!!!
workinard
First Steps

A Slap in the face to all Aussies.

Just purchased a Charge and because of it's lack of support for our units of measurement I will be purchasing another brand next time.

Talk about Arrogrance.

Glyn
First Steps

I would like to add my voice to the request that kiljoules are added for energy input. This thread started 12 months ago with a Moderator responding that this was great feed back but there has been now movement. How about an update on if this function is going to be incorporate or not.

Thank you,

tevrede
First Steps

I am disappointed that the fitbit does not support kilojoules.  I would appreciate it if this option is added!

Hazza
First Steps

You advertise your gear here in Australia, but ignore the customers once they have bought. 

1.Australia and MANY other countries use kilojoules rather than calories.  Please provide option for use.

2. Also your lists are US-centric. What about options for Australia?   ... or just generic foods? 

Spudmurf63
First Steps
Im with you calories are a pain to convert for us Aussies
snaketide
First Steps

I just purchased a Fitbit Charge, assuming that kilojoules vs calories would be a basic setting, but am very disappointed to discover it isn't.

Come on guys, is it really that difficult?

kirtyjean
Jogger

I have just complained to Fitbit about the lack of full metric support, especially lack of Kj units. Their response was barely literate and basically said their database was only in calories. Total nonsense. They also suggested I post on the forum. Why bother? it's been posted here for a year now and still no action. I am now taking the issue up with Australian Consumer Affairs as the device is basically not fit for purpose here in Australia. I'd love to see McDonalds, KFC etc display their food energy values in calories. They'd be in court in a minute flat!

I bet they remove this post too!

kirtyjean
Jogger

ps

This is the actual repsonse (in part) that I received. See if anyone can make sense of it?

the reason is because our data base was created just to be represented by calories burn as our system is based on this way of measure for activity it shows the a mount of so them it translate it to be reflected on calories burn.

Garbage.

kirtyjean
Jogger

And just got this. Fills me with confidence (not)

Thank you for your important feedback so we'll take them in consideration certainly we'll forward this case to our engineering team in charge of develop features in our company.

Rest a sure we'll make your voice hear as we're making improvements based on our customers feeds and suggestions, based on that we have realized new products with new features, as we have customer very demanded, so they don't just use our products also they test them for that reason your suggestion won't be forget, as you know there isn't any product perfect, so day by day we'll reach the perfection on what we better do.

Let us know if you have any other feedback, we'll be all ears at you.  

weirdunclebob
Recovery Runner

"Rest a sure we'll make your voice hear..."

Um, that doesn't make me assured of any rest waiting for them to introduce kilojoules!

After a good look around the app, there are so many other faults, bugs and failings that this would only be another one. Possibly not the main one, either! /sigh RunKeeper and MyFitnessPall will suffice for now. Not perfect but better (in combination) than most.

TashDV
First Steps

New Aussie user here and want the Kilojoule option too, If kg-lb, km-miles are available, KJ -Cals would also be logical. Also an expansion of the Australian food DB. There are other apps out there that already do this collaboration would work well here... 🙂 Love my Fitbit one

AmberClaire
First Steps

How is this not an option, so annoying trying to do the maths from converting KJ to calories, visa versa. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.