Option to turn off step count (or add "Driving Mode") to avoid erroneous steps/floors

I just got home yesterday from a driving 6 hours in my car and I checked my Fitbit. I was really suprised to see it had given me almost 8,000 steps, 3.24 miles, 134 floors, & way more calories thank I burned while I was sitting in my car.  I looked on the forum to see how to easily delete the steps, miles, floors, and calories so my data would be accurate.  The only way people are fixing it is by manually logging the activity "Automobile or light truck (not a semi) driving" and entering in the duration.  I think that is a cumbersome way to fix the issue everytime I drive because I have to make sure I write down what time I get into and out of my car so I know the start time and duration.  And how does it automatically know the calories burned when everyone burns calories when they are sedentary at different rates.

I think they should add a "Drive Mode" feature that when turned on it won't add steps, distance, floors, & will only add calories burned equal to you sitting in a chair.

You could access the "Drive Mode" either on your Fitbit One or on your phone app to turn it on/off.  If you have a Fitbit One you could press the button till the "Drive Mode" icon appears then hold the button down for 2 seconds to turn it on or off.

Fitbit Drive Mode 2.gif

On the phone apps you would just go to your device under "Account" and there you could turn it on or off.

Driving Mode Mockup Screenshot.jpg

You could also have the option to give you an alert when you unlock the phone that reminds you that it is in "Drive Mode" so you don't forget to turn it off when you get to your destination.  It would also be cool if you could use Siri to turn it on by saying "Turn on Fitbit Drive Mode" or "Turn off Fitbit Drive Mode".

Drive Mode Alert Message.jpg

Fitbit One, Zip, Aria | Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, iPhone 5s, iPad Air |
1,672 Comments
First Steps

I would like to add my vote to

PLEASE ADD A  DRIVING MODE :double_exclamation_mark::double_exclamation_mark:

I noticed this has been an on this post since 2014 !!!!!!    PLEASE ADD UPDATE

as a school bus driver I am on and off the road all day and like other reviews I am unable to actually tack my steps, that’s unacceptable considering that’s why we buy a Fitbit :double_exclamation_mark:

Allistar
Recovery Runner

I don't understand why the Fitbit counts steps when we explicitly tell it we're doing an exercise that doesn't involve stepping. Like cycling, or an indoor spin class. It don't get why it counts steps in these cases when by definition I'm not stepping. A simple fix would be to allow the per exercise type settings to include a "count steps" option. Then if people want to cheat and count steps while cycling they can, and the rest of us wouldn't have steps counted.

Chrispy0530
Jogger

I've pretty much stopped using my Pixel Watch. The fact that you are not able to disable(and enable when you want) the steps tracking is mind boggling. I got tired of seeing weekly reports congratulating me for running halfway around the world and burning calories more than humanly possible. My co-worker also has a Pixel watch and his counts an absurd amount of steps as well.

So because I am unable to return it. It now basically sits in my watch drawer, and if I feel like wearing it one day, I do. Otherwise, Fossil Smart Watch is my go-to. Accurate steps as well.

DannieVegan
First Steps
Functionality to manually TURN OFF step tracking during non-step exercise AND manually edit steps counted
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @DannieVegan, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to turn off the step count on your Fitbit device with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Willo76
First Steps

Next year will be the tenth anniversary of the request to include an on/off option for step count.

Ten years.

It's not that hard.

What are you doing?

rainbow4abc
Base Runner

Almost 1700 comments

3882 votes for this post

How much more do developers need to know it is important to us?

They know how to prevent you from voting twice on a post

I would be happy if it would not count steps when not attached to my body - it knows when therre is no skin contact. I collected an incredible set of steps and badges when i did my 4 week motorcycle trip.  - ruined all of my "high" step counts.

Please make it stop counting steps when riding ina car or on a motor cycle.

Mattiko91
Jogger
Buy an other product!!! Its the only way! Garmin does a great Job!!! I am the original initiator of the forum topic! And I always answer the same thing for years now! Buy another product!
2Paps
Recovery Runner
I agree with the "Buy another brand" but I think Garmin is only a partial solution. I have a Garmin Vivoactive3 and it does well in cars but on my Honda Goldwing motorcycle it logs walking at a mile per min. frequently. I doesn't do it all the time but this past Saturday it logged 5 different walking events, 16, 11, 15, 19, 15 mins. Each of those were a mile plus per min. The ride was over 300 miles.

I like the Garmin but every time it logs a walking event when I'm on the bike it reminds me why I do not have a Fitbit any longer.
Allistar
Recovery Runner

The crazy thing is we tell the fitbit we're doing an activity that by definition doesn't involve stepping, and it still counts steps during that activity. That's not a feature, that's a bug. And it would seem to be an easy one to fix.

Chrispy0530
Jogger
=============================================================
LizzyFitbit

Fitbit Moderator

Hi @DannieVegan, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to turn off the step count on your Fitbit device with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here.

=============================================================
How about having the dev team do something about it for an actual change? lol.

+1 on Garmin Watch. They are SUPERIOR.

I really tried giving the Pixel Watch a chance. But the stats/reports are basically 100% useless with the inaccurate steps.

Boogie007
Recovery Runner
Exactly!

Sent from Mail<> for Windows
Giofet
First Steps

I am a professional drive who drives 4100 miles a week. Fit bit sold me  worthless piece of junk. With no "drive mode" my fitbit charge 5 is just a reminder that fitbit stole my money. Millions of drivers out here with high blood pressure from fit bit passing us off. Thanks for the paper weight. 2023, adding a drive mode is not hard. I HATE this. 

Snowman2k
Base Runner

Wow this has been on the list of items to do for customers for almost 10 years, most excellent service Fitbit................not.

DannieVegan
First Steps
Changing to "driving mode" still added steps and just removed the exercise I had done that hour. I cant believe this was their serious answer. I now have to take the fitbit off when on the bike and add exercise, timings of exercise and calories burned manually every time afterwards, but the fitbit doesn't calculate automatically heart rates over the duration you have put in so all the manually inputted exercises have no heart rate. This is pathetic for for a fitness device. It's literally its job to track fitness and it can't do it.
Tt11
Recovery Runner
My Fitbit burned up in an MRI machine and I will NOT be replacing it.
Freedom from the frustration after all these years!!!!!!!
alienbeing
Jogger

This feature idea is almost 10 years old now and still not implemented on the Charge 5 (when initial comments said please add on Charge 2). Seriously.

Chrispy0530
Jogger

Lol - I made a comment a few weeks ago and FitBit mods deleted it due to them being offended.

Guys, seriously. It's not that hard. We have all been requesting this feature forever now. Either improve the way it the steps is calculated/fix algorithm, or give us the ability to disable the steps completely.

Today I got the "Your new rank is Jogger" - lmao

Been at my desk all day today, but somehow managed 7k steps.

Mattiko91
Jogger
Could anybody Review this story to a Tech-Magazine like Ubergizmo or something like this? They would be interested in a Story of Support request - which existed for about 10 Years!
Boogie007
Recovery Runner
Yes they were offended about my remarks and wanted me to be more "Constructive:!
We have all tried to be constructive in requesting these changes, but Fitbit refuses to do
their part and fix the problem.
Pealion
Recovery Runner

I am flabbergasted that this issue hasn't been addressed yet.

-------------------

Does charging the Fitbit while driving still stop the Fitbit counting steps? 

I remember I used this solution for my Fitbit One (many years ago). I had hoped things would have moved on a bit...

Tt11
Recovery Runner
My fitbit broke and I have NOT purchased a new one due to this issue. I
will not support fitbit until this is resolved and fitbit shows they care
about their customers' experience. They clearly have plenty of time to mine
all of our health and fitness information and sell it to 3rd parties...
eyeroll
Boogie007
Recovery Runner
Exactly, they only care about making money, not the customer.
BobbyD401
First Steps
I drive a box truck for work, they're rickety, they're bouncy, and they're causing me to log 2500 steps after a 30 minute drive. I never really feel like I know how many steps I've taken during the day. Could I take it off before I drive? Sure. But that's kind of inconvenient and I've forgot to put it back on afterwards.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @BobbyD401, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about having a Driving mode available to stop the step tracking during your exercise with us. Because this product feedback was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.