Phone notification if I'm not wearing my Fitbit device

My biggest frustration is forgetting I took my Fitbit off and forgetting to put it back on. I can go all day without it on and not realize it. 

Fitbit is already paired with my phone - I'd like a notification on my phone if the range of of my Fitbit exceeds a certain distance and the Fitbit has not logged any activity for a period of time. 

I believe this would set the product apart from everyone else - the benefits of the product type are pointless if I don't even get to use them. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated labels

138 Comments
Mellorkl
First Steps
Such an amazing idea! I think this would help all of those people who fall out of the habit after a month
Bevry
First Steps
It would be awesome if Fitbit would email me when charge was complete. I always forget to put it back on.
Trixiegrrr
Stepping Up

Best Idea!! I'm always below my step goals for work because I forget to put it back on after charging or showering. 

roo92
First Steps
That is a great idea. I also think it would be great for the fitbit to vibrate if we are stationary for too long...
bobster51
Recovery Runner

How many times do people put their phone down somewhere and forget to take it with them? 

Include a Settings option that causes an Alarm when the FitBit and the phone it is paired with lose contact.

That will remind users to pick up their phone and take it with them, resulting in fewer lost phones.

Another good reason to choose to purchase a FitBit!

Moderator Edit: Added labels.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi @bobster51! I do really like this idea. I don't like when I'm rushing and I have to go back because I forgot my phone. This would definitely make a difference with people like me. I'll make sure to pass this along to our team for consideration.

Thank you for stopping by the Feature Request Board!

bobster51
Recovery Runner

Thanks for your response, Peter. I think it should be really simple to implement..

Regards,

bobster51

IVIarlboro
Jogger
I'd like if my Fitbit HR alerted me with 1 vibrate and displayed disconnected if it becomes separated from my phone. Then my notification on my phone would alert also. This way if I forget one or the other then I would get a reminder. This could be a feature that you could turn on or off in the settings and it could use the Bluetooth to know if it becomes disconnected.
bobster51
Recovery Runner

The same principle could be applied to a new range of products: FitBitTags. 

Attach a FitBitTag to keys, travelbag, wallet, whatever you don't want to lose close contact with. Pair the FitBitTag with FitBit the same way you setup your FitBit settings on your phone. Allow each FitBitTag to be named via the phone's keyboard. 'KEYS', 'BAG', 'PURSE', 'WALLET', etc. Setup options could allow ALL FitBitTags to be paired/unpaired, or paired/unpaired individually.

When you lose BlueTooth contact with the tagged device, or the FitBitTag's battery is out of juice, a FitBit alarm occurs, displaying the tagged item's name, e.g. 'KEYS'. 

A further capability to explore: non-FitBit tagging systems claim to allow worldwide tracking, like 'Find My iPhone'. Is that a possibility?

Create a FitBitTag Charging Station. Wall or desk-mounted, it can be charging the FitBitTagged items overnight, ready for use the next day.

How about that? A whole new range of FitBit products!

Jen1228
First Steps
That is awesome idea!! It's very frustrating when your already at work or at the gym and you look down and you forgot it.
deniseskonieczk
First Steps

The alarm would also help when the FitBit Charge falls off.  We would know right away and avoid theft and loss's.  Thank you Fitbit

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

i have 3 phones paired

2 in my pocket, one in my bedroom( to sync and listen radio).

one is rarely bluetoth enabled, to save battery.

which behaviour when power down my phones ?

continous vibration ?

bobster51
Recovery Runner

Hi DuboisP,

I expect that you'd be in no danger of losing the phone in your bedroom. You would, therefore, not set an alarm for when you leave that vicinity, but set a Lost Contact alarm for the phones you keep in your pocket.

Behaviour? I suggest the FitBit could vibrate intermittently and indicate which device it has lost contact with, until you acknowledge the alarm by pushing the FitBit's button.

Coach_Hood
First Steps
I'd love this feature. I hate when I charge my Fitbit and forget to put it back on in the morning.
roo92
First Steps
That is the same issue I have as well. Or I will take it off to do dishes
or give the kids a bath and forget to put it back on.
I'd love for a message to pop up on my phone or something.
Meowgirl
Recovery Runner
I agree. I have forgotten to put it back on after I charge it at night. That would be great!
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@thomasthechan Thank you for this request! I believe this is a great idea. A lot of users forget to wear the tracker after taking it off, as they are so used to it. Having this kind of notification when the tracker is off range from the phone would be a really great idea to ensure that everyone is going to wear the tracker everyday. I can see myself using this feature as I have forget to wear mine some days too. Keep voting! I will love to see this idea implemented in the nearest future. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Overall, this addition to all FB would be helpful, whether it's notifying you if you forgot your phone or the other way around. As for me, I'm notorious for forgetting my HR. Every morning I connect my HR to the charger before I take my shower. And almost every morning, I forget to grab my HR before I head out. 😁
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
👆🏻 Agreed. But I would not wait until more votes are tallied. I would implement this idea just on the simple fact that customers will be discouraged from using FB altogether if they keep forgetting their devices.
joanmarie789
Recovery Runner
Awesome idea. Nothing worse than breaking routine and forgetting the tracker
Meowgirl
Recovery Runner
I agree with you. Now we just need The FitBit people to agree!

Sent from my iPhone
Angel-nz
Recovery Runner

Me too R_ACE. I'm not used to having to take my Surge on and off...especially to charge and shower. So wish it was waterproof! 

Angel-nz
Recovery Runner

Bobster51 brilliant ideas!!!! 🙂

Natha83
Jogger
Awesome idea. I am in a family of 5 fitbit users and all of us have the same complaint. The only hurdle I see is in sleep mode. I dont want to be woken up because it thinks my band is off. Maybe an option for audible or just a silent reminder/app icon. Or both!!. And, for me, it would have to somehow differentiate between sleep and not wearing as to have more accurate readings.
AnonymousGuy69
First Steps

I also want this implemented.  So many times I'll forget my Charge HR on the charger and not get any credit for the rest of the day.  Detecting when the Fitbit is finished charging or out of bluetooth range from my Android phone and flashing a notification would fix this.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.