Please make diet log more friendly to real/fresh food, not just flavors and brands

Though I eventually tried and got good tech support help, I had a terrible time finding fresh mint on the diet log. Because real foods don't have a brand, they get buried behind foods flavored with them, of which there are probably hundreds if not thousands. I tried "Mint, spearmint, raw," "Mint, spearmint, fresh" and others. This problem persisted even after I researched and added the nutritional information for the food myself, and thus had an exact name for it. Why Breath Savers and Trident came up before an exact name, I don't know.

While tech support suggested I use the term "Spearmint" as the first word, this was not the most logical place to start. For one thing, I didn't actually eat spearmint, but a variety called "Chocolate Mint" which was doomed to bring up listings for foods like ice cream, thus I was looking for a similar, not an exact food. Plus, usually the noun is usually listed before the descriptor in the database, which is how one usually deals with the limitations of the database such as the limited varieties of mint listed. The only reason I could see for it to be listed differently in this case was because of this problem of candies and ice cream coming up first, but only the engineers would know the problem and thus workaround instinctively.

Thus please either give real foods priority in the list, a designation similar to a brand name, and/or at least make an exact name search come up before others (I'm confused why this last one wouldn't always be the case).

Thanks.

6 Comments
Hi_Dare
Recovery Runner

It also might work to have a way to indicate the food category, such as limiting the search results to "Produce."

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @Hi_Dare! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

In the meantime, you can add your fresh food ad as "New food" and "Custom food". You can find more details about this here: 

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

kbmfitness
First Steps
It appears fresh blueberries are not listed as one of the items in the food log. There are items for fresh frozen blueberries but not the basic (unfrozen) fresh fruit.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kbmfitness, thanks for explaining why you would like to have a better option to log your fresh food on the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Roberthuber
Jogger

I have the same experience with the food log on Fitbit as many customers mentioned here as well.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are so hard to find or not even listed and it's hard for me to understand that a program/product like Fitbit, tailored to health conscious customers, is not having basic fresh fruits and vegetables in the food log. It's disappointing to me when I look for a vegetable or fruit and the first suggestions are all processed food items which are proven to not be good for our health.

Example potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, peppers and mushroom, to only name a few, always show processed food first in the search result.

JMarc55
First Steps

I thought I would add my voice to this as well. I find it so frustrating that an app supposedly devoted to health improvement, doesn't have basic fresh fruits and vegetables in the database. It is almost impossible to log things like fresh berries. How is it possible that blueberries and raspberries don't appear in the database unless they are frozen or packaged or in a baked good?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.